Should Hearts sack Craig Thomson?

GM

Can I just point out, regardless of right or wrong, that that article is as one-sided as can be. The accused hasn't been given a voice in it. The mother tells her story, and it's unpleasant reading no doubt, but how many times have we discovered later that people have cried 'wolf' or 'rape' when there was no such thing.

Just suggesting I wouldn't be in such a rush to condemn when I don't know all the facts of the matter. (And I'm a father too.)

he was found guilty

EDIT: he plead fucking guilty

Nah, the guy needs help. Sacking him doesn't make him any less of a nonce. Just makes him a nonce with more free time and some added alienation.

I agree with this. If he was working in Burger King would anyone have found out ? I don`t understand the sacking thing ? Are the people saying he should be sacked saying that he should sign on for the rest of his life ? Or is it ok for him to get a different job ? and when ?

isn't the point that you or i would almost certainly be sacked by our employers for the same deeds?

don't think anyone's saying he should never work again but the fact he's a footballer and has financial value as an asset to his employer (which the rest of us don't) is a heavy influence on matters

I don`t know, do the police inform your employer once convicted ? He is not working with young children. Surely the punishment is the sex offenders list and the fine ?  He didn`t use his job to do his dirty crappy offence.

I`m just being open minded. I have daughters aged 16, 9 and 7. So I can understand the anger the parents are feeling but would I fuck let a 20 year hang around with my youngest two. The parents need to wake up too family friend or not.

I'm reluctant to say he should be sacked. Should anyone on the sex offenders register be unemployable? Surely that just punishes them twice and makes the situation worse.

I don't know the details of the case, but obviously he hasn't sexually abused anyone. What he's done is dodgy obviously but I think once he's been punished by the courts he should be allowed to try and learn from it and move on.

Nah, the guy needs help. Sacking him doesn't make him any less of a nonce. Just makes him a nonce with more free time and some added alienation.

I agree with this. If he was working in Burger King would anyone have found out ? I don`t understand the sacking thing ? Are the people saying he should be sacked saying that he should sign on for the rest of his life ? Or is it ok for him to get a different job ? and when ?

isn't the point that you or i would almost certainly be sacked by our employers for the same deeds?

don't think anyone's saying he should never work again but the fact he's a footballer and has financial value as an asset to his employer (which the rest of us don't) is a heavy influence on matters

I don`t know, do the police inform your employer once convicted ? He is not working with young children. Surely the punishment is the sex offenders list and the fine ?  He didn`t use his job to do his dirty crappy offence.

I`m just being open minded. I have daughters aged 16, 9 and 7. So I can understand the anger the parents are feeling but would I fuck let a 20 year hang around with my youngest two. The parents need to wake up too family friend or not.

my point isn't whether things would/should be public, it's that if your name popped up in the paper for such a conviction and an employer read it you'd almost certainly be gone...he should be no different, anyone thinking they're standing by him to help him out is dreaming - it's because he's worth money to them

Guest firetotheworks

I found it canny interesting that most of the first answers about this were about the stick he'd get, rather than the fact that he's a full on actual paedophile.

I don`t know, do the police inform your employer once convicted ? He is not working with young children. Surely the punishment is the sex offenders list and the fine ?  He didn`t use his job to do his dirty crappy offence.

I`m just being open minded. I have daughters aged 16, 9 and 7. So I can understand the anger the parents are feeling but would I f*** let a 20 year hang around with my youngest two. The parents need to wake up too family friend or not.

my point isn't whether things would/should be public, it's that if your name popped up in the paper for such a conviction and an employer read it you'd almost certainly be gone...he should be no different, anyone thinking they're standing by him to help him out is dreaming - it's because he's worth money to them

mr mojo is 100% on the button here.

breach of contract though right?  clearly not everyone would be sacked but minions almost certainly would be culled, upper management/executive types less likely

as i said if it was all about rehab then great, but this is football and it simply isn't

where do you stop with the leniency?  first offence sexual assault, sexual harrassment?  i don't fucking know

If you or me would be sacked by our employer, does that make it right though? Personally I'd rather give someone a chance to learn from their mistakes.

is a fine of £4000 going to make him learn ? lets start treating everyone the same be they a footballer or a labourer.

I don`t know, do the police inform your employer once convicted ? He is not working with young children. Surely the punishment is the sex offenders list and the fine ?  He didn`t use his job to do his dirty crappy offence.

I`m just being open minded. I have daughters aged 16, 9 and 7. So I can understand the anger the parents are feeling but would I f*** let a 20 year hang around with my youngest two. The parents need to wake up too family friend or not.

We are guessing that his value is the main reason he is staying in employment. There could be his side of the story and any friendship he has built up with those around him and his bosses.

It depends on your job and how well you do it, how well you know your boss and weather it would affect the business in negative way.

Yes he is a bellend, but he doesn`t work with children and he does need help, seems hes stuck in his youth or thick as mince. Its not normal behaviour and sacking him will not suddenly make him a normal person with morals.

We are guessing that his value is the main reason he is staying in employment. There could be his side of the story and any friendship he has built up with those around him and his bosses.

It depends on your job and how well you do it, how well you know your boss and weather it would affect the business in negative way.

Yes he is a bellend, but he doesn`t work with children and he does need help, seems hes stuck in his youth or thick as mince. Its not normal behaviour and sacking him will not suddenly make him a normal person with morals.

how well you do your job ? why should that matter ? you are a convicted paedo but you do your job well so you can keep it, your mate was convicted for assault but isn't so good at his job and is therefore sacked ?

Is it just me or do you get an easier ride if you fool around with underage girls and you're some handsome young chap who's an athlete or singer?  Gary Glitter was quite rightly vilified and his songs banished from the airwaves, R Kelly gets a number one single.  Can imagine if Thomson was a balding guy in a mac with pebbley glasses who'd been sending pictures of his cock to children then people would have less sympathy about if he should keep a job in football....

Is it just me or do you get an easier ride if you fool around with underage girls and you're some handsome young chap who's an athlete or singer?  Gary Glitter was quite rightly vilified and his songs banished from the airwaves, R Kelly gets a number one single.  Can imagine if Thomson was a balding guy in a mac with pebbley glasses who'd been sending pictures of his cock to children then people would have less sympathy about if he should keep a job in football....

is it just you ? why, what you been up to ?

Surely there's no other reason most people would lose their job than the company in question doesn't want to be associated with a convicted criminal? If Hearts aren't bothered then that's their prerogative.

Surely there's no other reason most people would lose their job than the company in question doesn't want to be associated with a convicted criminal? If Hearts aren't bothered then that's their prerogative.

hearts will be bothered but he's an asset they can't afford to sack, hence why footballers at a certain level behave like they are untouchable.

how well you do your job ? why should that matter ? you are a convicted paedo but you do your job well so you can keep it, your mate was convicted for assault but isn't so good at his job and is therefore sacked ?

Thats business. The judge deemed it not serious enough for a prison sentance. Like I said the young man needs help. Why sack him ?  Surely let him keep his job if he attends some sort of help course after training each day.

Guest firetotheworks

It depends if the job has links to the crime. If Hearts have a youth girls team, then obviously that's a big factor in it.

Thats business. The judge deemed it not serious enough for a prison sentance. Like I said the young man needs help. Why sack him ?  Surely let him keep his job if he attends some sort of help course after training each day.

if that was the normal thing for everyone else then ok but i'm guessing the vast majority of people would bve sacked and there lives made a misery, it's probably one of the things that stops people acting on there urges.

Personally I don't really know. We haven't heard his side of the story for a start. If it is as the woman says in that article then I would want him sacked, just as I wanted Joey Barton sacked when he did what he did. A fucking 12 year old girl though, wtf?

Guest alijmitchell

Also, there's the potential that making him unemployed would push him further towards more depraved acts rather than getting the help he quite clearly needs.

The article and Heart's previouse statement from last week appear to indicate that he didn't know the age of the girls at the time. If that is the case and he actually thought they were of legal age then yes he should keep his job. If though he knew they were under age then quite frankly he shouldn't even be allowed to live.