The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

Are people saying that like?

Oh I don't mean in here, just the football media in general. People love to say stuff like "England have never been technically good enough to compete with the likes of Spain" when it's a blatant misrepresentation of the facts.

The commentators on BBC just now about Spain playing in Alicante - "they last played here ten years ago... and they've never lost" Lawrenson: "Well that's no surprise" - maybe it wouldn't be a surprise if they hadn't been shit for the last 50 years before Euro 2008.

Don't want to take anything away from the current team but their success at the moment has more to do with Barcelona's frighteningly good youth policy of the last ten years than Spain's general footballing culture. They've got a very long way to go to be considered up there with real giants of international football like the Brazilians, Germans and Italians imo.

Oh I don't mean in here, just the football media in general. People love to say stuff like "England have never been technically good enough to compete with the likes of Spain" when it's a blatant misrepresentation of the facts.

The commentators on BBC just now about Spain playing in Alicante - "they last played here ten years ago... and they've never lost" Lawrenson: "Well that's no surprise" - maybe it wouldn't be a surprise if they hadn't been shit for the last 50 years.

Don't want to take anything away from the current team but their success at the moment has more to do with Barcelona's frighteningly good youth policy of the last ten years than Spain's general footballing culture. They've got a very long way to go to be considered up there with real giants of international football like the Brazilians, Germans and Italians imo.

Oh, entirely agree. :thup:

I'm paying less and less attention to what pundits/commentators have to say nowadays. Just can't be arsed with their infinite wrongness.

The commentators on BBC just now about Spain playing in Alicante - "they last played here ten years ago... and they've never lost" Lawrenson: "Well that's no surprise" - maybe it wouldn't be a surprise if they hadn't been s*** for the last 50 years before Euro 2008.

Completely agree with your post. It was only 3 years ago that they were tagged the "great tournament bottlers".

The commentators on BBC just now about Spain playing in Alicante - "they last played here ten years ago... and they've never lost" Lawrenson: "Well that's no surprise" - maybe it wouldn't be a surprise if they hadn't been s*** for the last 50 years before Euro 2008.

Completely agree with your post. It was only 3 years ago that they were tagged the "great tournament bottlers".

"Perennial underachievers" was the ubiquitous favourite IIRC. No one called them anything but that at the beginning of a tournament.

I think it's even better that they've started winning things after Raul was no longer involved. As apparently he was always a big problem in the dressing room for Spain.

I think it's even better that they've started winning things after Raul was no longer involved. As apparently he was always a big problem in the dressing room for Spain.

Interesting, can see that being true actually.

Scotland playing some decent stuff at times, they're at a Transformers premiere and they've managed to make eye contact with a freaked out Megan Fox.  Still very unlikely and still a very long way to go, the girlfriend is also sort of on to it and will take a lot of misleading afterwards.

Scotland playing some decent at times, they're at a Transformers premiere and they've managed to make eye contact with a freaked out Megan Fox.  Still very unlikely and still a very long way to go, the girlfriend is also sort of on to it and will take a lot of misleading afterwards.

:lol: :lol:

Scotland managed to sneak their way into the actual premiere and have got their eyes fixed firmly on Megan Fox.  Unfortunately it seems that 2 of her entourage are looking at them suspiciously - if another couple get involved then they're finished and out the door.  Meanwhile the wifey's texted "Where the fuck are you, I've heard you're trying to shag Megan Fox.  Well 1. You've got nee chance, 2. I don't like that, 3. Don't come home you twat".  It's not looking good and it will take a miracle to turn things around here.