Pardew on Total Sport tonight

Big Geordie

Funny how the general consensus now seems to be that nobody's bothered about investing that money ' as long as we improve'.

I don't remember that being the case in February when the patter from the usual suspects was how much this money would improve the team. Just goes to show how much certain people will contradict themselves to defend every decision the club makes.

If we're not bothered about the money, could we not have kept our centre forward?

And vice versa. wink wink.

Whether they say it or not makes no odds tbh, it's pointless to discuss figures outside of the published accounts.

Fact is though, Pardew has said we are still to spend (wherever the money comes from), so whatever the figures, stating that £35m gets you 2 free and an upgraded training pitch is a nonsense.

What has the £35 million got us so far?

I've over-inflated all figures to try and accomodate for agent, signing on fees and all the rest of the nonsense that we aren't supposed to know about.

Ba signing = £3m

Marveaux signing = £3m

Cabaye signing = £5m

Abeid signing = £1m

Training ground = £2m

First two years of Tiote's new contract = £4.5m

First two years of Cabaye, Ba, Abeid and Marveaux's contracts = £11m

= £29 million spent, £6 million of Carroll money remains.

Sale of Kevin Nolan = £4m

Removal of Campbell, Kuqi and Nolan from wage bill = Saving of £4m a year in wages

= £10 million to spend on transfer fees, £4 million a year, which is what, approx £80k a week in wages???

So...

£7-8 million striker (would have been Erding) on up to £40k a week

and £2 million left-back (Taylor) on £20k a week

Carroll money all gone...

Whether they say it or not makes no odds tbh, it's pointless to discuss figures outside of the published accounts.

Fact is though, Pardew has said we are still to spend (wherever the money comes from), so whatever the figures, stating that £35m gets you 2 free and an upgraded training pitch is a nonsense.

What has the £35 million got us so far?

I've over-inflated all figures to try and accomodate for agent, signing on fees and all the rest of the nonsense that we aren't supposed to know about.

Ba signing = £3m

Marveaux signing = £3m

Cabaye signing = £5m

Abeid signing = £1m

Training ground = £2m

First two years of Tiote's new contract = £4.5m

First two years of Cabaye, Ba, Abeid and Marveaux's contracts = £11m

= £29 million spent, £6 million of Carroll money remains.

Sale of Kevin Nolan = £4m

Removal of Campbell, Kuqi and Nolan from wage bill = Saving of £4m a year in wages

= £10 million to spend on transfer fees, £4 million a year, which is what, approx £80k a week in wages???

So...

£7-8 million striker (would have been Erding) on up to £40k a week

and £2 million left-back (Taylor) on £20k a week

Carroll money all gone...

If that's the scenario at the end of the window I think there'll be fair reason for bitching.

Didnt Pardew tell us not to do this very thing that everyone is doing because people will be way off with their sums.

Pardew said not to question where the £35m has disappeared to. Subtle difference.

Didnt Pardew tell us not to do this very thing that everyone is doing because people will be way off with their sums.

Pardew said not to question where the £35m has disappeared to. Subtle difference.

Well no, he said if the fans do the Math, they will be way off.

Let's wait and see what two players we're bringing in. Didn't sound too promising, but here's for hoping.

If they're s**** and cheap, we've been done big time.

Come on and wake up FFS, the majority new this sort of thing would happen.

The owner of this club, runs all his business empire on buy cheap sell high.

Why would he run it any other way at NUFC ?

Rubbish. :lol:

As Elliottman said, Pardew just noted it was difficult because people will probably be way off with their sums.

So do you agree with my workings? After we've spent £10 million on a striker and a new left-back, the £35 million will be as good as gone?

We'll never know exactly, but seems as reasonable as any mate.

As has been pointed out though, there's still the question of why that £35m wouldn't be topped up with whatever money we would have put aside for transfers this summer anyway? Wished someone would have pushed Pardew on that last night.

That said, maybe there has never really been a pot as such. We just find money if the opportunity arises form that clubs overall resources. :undecided:

IIRC the context was the bloke questioning if the £35m will be spent etc. Saying it wasn't as easy as just looking at the transfer fees paid out.

IIRC the context was the bloke questioning if the £35m will be spent etc. Saying it wasn't as easy as just looking at the transfer fees paid out.

which is different to saying not to question what has happened to it.

This obsession with the £35m from Carroll is bordering on the mental for me.

The Carroll sale was a massive blow to the team and is still hard to accept, we did it because the deal was too good to turn down and the player fancied a shot at a bigger club. It's pointless to latch onto that one quote where Pardew said it would all be invested into the team. He was just responding to a question the best way he could in difficult circumstances, and he probably had no idea how much he would end up spending.

To judge our transfers solely on whether we spend the magic figure of £35m is pointless IMO. As far as I can see we've made some good moves in the market so far, and are looking to make more. There might be a big departure (Enrqiue) but circumstances make that inevitable anyway.

The club is running a regular loss, and there isn't a ring-fenced pot for transfer money. The club will spend what it thinks it can afford and when it can get the right deals. Let's judge that on it's own and stop bleating on about this magical £35m.

The Carroll sale was a massive blow to the team and is still hard to accept, we did it because the deal was too good to turn down and the player fancied a shot at a bigger club. It's pointless to latch onto that one quote where Pardew said it would all be invested into the team. He was just responding to a question the best way he could in difficult circumstances, and he probably had no idea how much he would end up spending.

To judge our transfers solely on whether we spend the magic figure of £35m is pointless IMO. As far as I can see we've made some good moves in the market so far, and are looking to make more. There might be a big departure (Enrqiue) but circumstances make that inevitable anyway.

The club is running a regular loss, and there isn't a ring-fenced pot for transfer money. The club will spend what it thinks it can afford and when it can get the right deals. Let's judge that on it's own and stop bleating on about this magical £35m.

I sort of agree with you with regards to referencing the £35 million, but I still think we can and should be spending more than we seemingly are.

Ultimately we've had six months to decide what to do with at least £30m of allegedly unexpected income, with the benefit of what some seem to say is the world's best scout and a manager who apparently has the full backing of his manager and the club owner.

And yet here we are, with people happy to 'hope it allows us the ability to react to opportunities, if there are any'. :lol:

If we're so hard up that we needed to sell our best striker and most promising talent for big money just to pay wages and to afford to bring in couple of free transfers, it makes you wonder if they'd fully intended on flogging Carroll all along. And if that is the case, who's next out of the door?

Ultimately we've had six months to decide what to do with at least £30m of allegedly unexpected income, with the benefit of what some seem to say is the world's best scout and a manager who apparently has the full backing of his manager and the club owner.

And yet here we are, with people happy to 'hope it allows us the ability to react to opportunities, if there are any'. :lol:

If we're so hard up that we needed to sell our best striker and most promising talent for big money just to pay wages and to afford to bring in couple of free transfers, it makes you wonder if they'd fully intended on flogging Carroll all along. And if that is the case, who's next out of the door?

you'll agree that at least some of it will have gone on signing oin fees,agents and wages and rightly so ?

i wonder if any of this will resonate next time it happens btw, if we sell another key player for money thats 'too good to turn down'. or if there'll still be 'lets wait and see what they do with it first' all over the place.

All valid questions, but none of the answers get the club out of the financial reality it's in. It's clear that Ashley wants to bring an unusual approach to running a football club, he's not going to sanction ever-increasing debt or subsidise any spending from his own pocket.

Fair enough the Carroll money was unexpected (if we believe it was), but that still doesn't mean it all has to go on transfer spending. I know I'm always defending the regime, but I really think we may as well accept the Ashley spending/contracts/wages strategy and judge decisions based on that.

I'm not suggesting we "needed" to sell Carroll to buy the players we've bought, the logic doesn't work in reverse like that. What I'm saying is that just because we had some extra income it doesn't mean it all goes straight on transfer fees.

For Pardew to say it would was probably inadvisable, but he was reacting to a pretty shocking situation.

you'll agree that at least some of it will have gone on signing oin fees,agents and wages and rightly so ?

will you agree that the club has other avenues of making money other than selling players? and some of it should go towards the same things? at what point do we stop giving them the benefit of the doubt and realise they're taking the piss?

i wonder if any of this will resonate next time it happens btw, if we sell another key player for money thats 'too good to turn down'. or if there'll still be 'lets wait and see what they do with it first' all over the place.

I don't know, we'll see if it happens. You seem to be reacting like this happens all the time, when Carroll is the only real example.