Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Mixed feelings about sending players abroad when they're injured, same with HBA when he goes back to France. It keeps their morale up and shows we care about their feelings etc, but then again it's not exactly an incentive to get fit as soon as possible.

Isn't a trip back to France a little more reasonable and quicker travel time then heading ALL the way back to Argentina?

It's not like he's sailing there, those airplanes are decent I heard.

10+ hour flight vs. a few hour flight? I don't know if you travel a ton but 10 hour flight vs. a few hours make a hell of a difference man.

Lying down on a very comfortable seat in 1st class... not likley to mind is he!

Where would you rather be? With your wife and bairns (maybe not wife) or at work?

Considering he will continue to be paid, and is supposed to be a leadership figure within the squad, would it be unreasonable to expect him to continue to act as the club captain albeit off the pitch whilst he is out injured?

Mixed feelings about sending players abroad when they're injured, same with HBA when he goes back to France. It keeps their morale up and shows we care about their feelings etc, but then again it's not exactly an incentive to get fit as soon as possible.

Huge difference between the club captain and other players for me. Also, for long term injuries I understand it better as much of the early revalidation will involve solitary work with medical staff, but that doesn't appear to be the case here either.. :dontknow:

Isn't a trip back to France a little more reasonable and quicker travel time then heading ALL the way back to Argentina?

10+ hour flight vs. a few hour flight? I don't know if you travel a ton but 10 hour flight vs. a few hours make a hell of a difference man.

I know there's difference between a 10 hour flight and a few hour flight (and I've done them both numerous times  :aww:) but it's not like he's doing it few times a week. He's there for a while and comes back when he feels better. I just honestly can't see the problem in either him going to Argentina or the time the flight takes to get there.

Because he's supposed to be setting an example to the other players regarding their responsibilities to the club, peers and and fans, perhaps? All of which, by the way, have stuck with Coloccini through thick and thin in spite of him trying to cower off home when we needed him most last season.

He's been fucking rubbish so far this season, then he gets an injury and pisses off home before our most important fixture. What sort of captain is that?

Huge difference between the club captain and other players for me. Also, for long term injuries I understand it better as much of the early revalidation will involve solitary work with medical staff, but that doesn't appear to be the case here either.. :dontknow:

But for example, say it's going to be three weeks before he can resume training?

I fail to see the problem here.... If Ben Arfa and others can do it and its fine why is it a problem with Colo ?

1) It's isn't fine

2) Hatem isn't the club captain

3) Hatem flies France barely an hour away, not 7000 miles away

I know there's difference between a 10 hour flight and a few hour flight (and I've done them both numerous times  :aww:) but it's not like he's doing it few times a week. He's there for a while and comes back when he feels better. I just honestly can't see the problem in either him going to Argentina or the time the flight takes to get there.

Because he's supposed to be setting an example to the other players regarding their responsibilities to the club, peers and and fans, perhaps? All of which, by the way, have stuck with Coloccini through thick and thin in spite of him trying to cower off home when we needed him most last season.

He's been f***ing rubbish so far this season, then he gets an injury and pisses off home before our most important fixture. What sort of captain is that?

You keep telling us that he's no leader. Would he really help us against the mackems in the sidelines? His family isn't here and I'm pretty sure the players and other people inside the club can understand it when he goes back to his family when he can't play. He's not the only senior player in the squad.

But for example, say it's going to be three weeks before he can resume training?

He should want to stay here to support the team he captains for such a short injury layoff. Now if we're talking half a season I could see why he would want to go home for a while to work on the early stages of his treatment, but 3 weeks..?

There's a whole lot of nonsense talked about the captaincy. Like the rest of the players could give a fuck about the bloke who does the coin toss not being in the country during a game he's not playing in. :lol:

We had this woeful patter last season before he came back and saved our bacon after we were getting battered every week. You'd think people would learn but obviously not.

He's been f***ing rubbish so far this season, then he gets an injury and pisses off home before our most important fixture. What sort of captain is that?

You keep telling us that he's no leader. Would he really help us against the mackems in the sidelines? His family isn't here and I'm pretty sure the players and other people inside the club can understand it when he goes back to his family when he can't play. He's not the only senior player in the squad.

Yes, of course. He is the club captain, and has been here a while. He understands the importance of the fixture for the fans better than most I'd imagine, plus he could provide assistance and inspiration before the match and at half time to his less experienced team mates. As has already been pointed out, your argument is chicken and egg. He gets criticised for being a bad captain because of decisions like this, where he seems to put his own interest above that of the team.

Yes, if he's the club captain he should be sitting on the bench, even if he isn't able to play - showing his support in the dressing room, on the pitch in training, even if its just rest and he's watching, eating meals with the team etc.

So on derby day, our captain is going to be in Argentina sending a few texts or phone call? 

If you're the club captain, you should very well have a duty to be there, your status is elevated for that reason. Its also the club's fault for appointing him captain and not upholding him to responsibilities that are in nearly every other sport in the world.

As club captain he should be there to offer support and maybe to gee the lads up. No excuse to be jetting home whilst injured tbh especially the captain.

He should want to stay here to support the team he captains for such a short injury layoff. Now if we're talking half a season I could see why he would want to go home for a while to work on the early stages of his treatment, but 3 weeks..?

I suppose so aye. Depends on how strong his personal reasons for going back are I guess. Considering he nearly left the club completely, they must be quite strong.

There's a whole lot of nonsense talked about the captaincy. Like the rest of the players could give a fuck about the bloke who does the coin toss not being in the country during a game he's not playing in. :lol:

We had this woeful patter last season before he came back and saved our bacon after we were getting battered every week. You'd think people would learn but obviously not.

Saved our bacon. :lol:

How nice of the 80K a week captain to come and make a contribution after spending most of the season either not available or playing crap.

Guest icemanblue

Aye. But, we did need something to get offended about this week. Could have been pretty quiet otherwise.

As club captain he should be there to offer support and maybe to gee the lads up. No excuse to be jetting home whilst injured tbh especially the captain.

:thup:

As KI said, this is why he's no captain. Fucking joke he's still got the armband.

There's a whole lot of nonsense talked about the captaincy. Like the rest of the players could give a f*** about the bloke who does the coin toss not being in the country during a game he's not playing in. :lol:

His own lack of form and ridiculous lack of leadership in January directly contributed to being in that situation where we needed his (undoubted, but diminishing) quality to save our bacon, as you say.

As KI said, this is why he's no captain. Fucking joke he's still got the armband.

He certainly isn't inspirational which good captains should be.

Sad state of football or this sport that people seem so indifferent to the role of a captain within the club.  Maybe that's a byproduct of the poor captain choices we've had bar Kevin Nolan in recent history, but look at nearly every other sport in the world and the role of a captain is very well regarded and talked about. Perhaps that's something that's changed in modern football, or the clubs aren't really putting much importance on it, but as talented and classy Colo is, he's no club captain to me -- and I'm saying this as one of his biggest fans.

Sad state of football or this sport that people seem so indifferent to the role of a captain within the club.  Maybe that's a byproduct of the poor captain choices we've had bar Kevin Nolan in recent history, but look at nearly every other sport in the world and the role of a captain is very well regarded and talked about. Perhaps that's something that's changed in modern football, or the clubs aren't really putting much importance on it, but as talented and classy Colo is, he's no club captain to me -- and I'm saying this as one of his biggest fans.

The thing is...how can we know if he's a good captain or not? He's not the most effusive motherfucker in the world, but that doesn't make him a bad captain.

As KI said, this is why he's no captain. f***ing joke he's still got the armband.

I just don't understand this. You have been telling us years that Coloccini is no leader and a bad choice for captain. Why does it bother you that he's not there Sunday?