Darlington 0-2 Newcastle United

ponsaelius

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/News/Features/0,,10278~2391364,00.html

Campbell Can't Wait To Face Toon

By Dan King

John Campbell will line up against Newcastle for Darlington on Friday night - but he could have been playing for The Magpies had it not been for a £35m decision made eight years ago.

Boyhood Toon fan Campbell admits to relishing this week's pre-season friendly even more than the Wembley cup final he played in just over two months ago, and if he wasn't involved in the action he'd be among the massed ranks of Magpies fans who have snapped up tickets for the game.

The Walker boy was with The Magpies from the age of nine until he was 14, when it came down to a choice between him and another teenage striker to stay on at the club's Academy.

"Believe it or not, it was either me or Andy Carroll who were going to be released," Campbell told nufc.co.uk. "Peter Kirkley (United's then Recruitment Officer) told me it was a choice between me and Andy, and they took a chance on Andy and released me.

"And that decision worked out quite well for Newcastle, didn't it?"

Carroll became the most expensive English footballer in history when he was sold to Liverpool in January - on the same day that Campbell, 22, joined Blue Square Premier side Darlington from non-league Newcastle Benfield for an undisclosed fee, having played for Manchester City's academy and several Northern League sides since leaving United.

He was in the starting line-up when The Quakers lifted the FA Trophy at the national stadium in May and is now set to come face-to-face with his heroes when Newcastle travel to The Northern Echo Arena for their first pre-season friendly of the summer.

"Words can't describe how much I'm looking forward to this game," he said. "I'm even more excited about this one than I was when we played at Wembley. That might sound a bit strange but it will be unbelieveable for me to play against Newcastle.

"It'll feel a bit weird, because I always dreamed of playing for them, but playing against them will be special. It'll be a really big thrill and I'm looking forward to it."

Campbell's love affair with Newcastle United began when he was five years old, with Alan Shearer and Peter Beardsley his heroes.

He said: "My first game was against Liverpool. It was a 2-1 win and Steve Watson scored in the last minute.

"The keeper parried and he turned it in, and I remember jumping onto the pitch down by the north-east corner. The stewards had to chase me off!"

He has only been on the hallowed St. James' turf on one occasion since - when he paid to take part in one of the annual Play on the Pitch matches last year - but he's been a regular in the stands, home and away, whenever his football commitments allow.

John Campbell

"When I first signed for Darlington, we had a game on a Saturday and Newcastle had a game on the Sunday against Aston Villa away and I ended up going," he said. "Any chance I get to go to a Newcastle game, I still go. I'll hopefully get to the Leeds friendly later in the month if the gaffer gives us the day off that Sunday.

"A lot of my mates are going to the game on Friday. There'll be about 50 of my mates going down - so I'm expecting a few boos!

"I think my little boy, Layton, is coming and it'll be the first game he's been to, so he's looking forward to it," added Campbell, whose partner gave birth to another boy, Corey, four weeks ago.

"So that's another reason why I'm looking forward to it, and I'll work hard for my kids."

Campbell is anticipating a tough game for him and his Darlington team-mates, though, having been impressed by Alan Pardew's transfer activity over the summer. And he's keen to see how good the likes of Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux are at first hand.

"This season is the most excited I've been about Newcastle's chances for a while," he said. "It'll be good to see what these new players are all about.

"I'm hearing a lot about them and I'm looking forward to seeing them play - and even more so to playing against them.

"Hopefully they all have quiet games against us, though."

Nice little piece. Apologies if it is Welsh winger with 64 caps.

Guest Magpie Ranger

Get yourselves to Hogans

O0

Someone reccomended me to go to Hogans. Do you reckon they'll have people on the door or not?

My ticket arrived earlier today, looking forward to it, will be nice to eventually get into that football feeling spirit again.

Really looking forward to this now like! Got the day off so heading down about 2ish I think. Can't wait for Hatem :smitten:

took the day off as well....but staying in town till about half 5-6....darlo's a s*** hole :lol:

How far is the ground from the train station or how far is Hogan's from the station?

read on the darlo website the grounds about 25 min walk from the station

http://www.conferencegrounds.co.uk/darlington.htm#By%20Train

Guest stumonkseatonmagpies

This time tomorrow I will be drinking a nice cheap pint in Hogans.

fingers crossed it will be a canny day like today!!

decided i am getting the train at 4ish

Stu

Monkseaton magpies

Guest Magpie Ranger

This time tomorrow I will be drinking a nice cheap pint in Hogans.

fingers crossed it will be a canny day like today!!

decided i am getting the train at 4ish

Stu

Monkseaton magpies

Do you go on Simon's bus?

@Joey7Barton Joseph Barton

I'm playing at Darlington, think its a strong team. Dont think the gaffer has made his mind up fully on side yet

42 minutes ago

According to .com, he's captaining the team.

@Joey7Barton Joseph Barton

I'm playing at Darlington, think its a strong team. Dont think the gaffer has made his mind up fully on side yet

42 minutes ago

According to .com, he's captaining the team.

That's right. Colo's not playing tomorrow.