Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

My opinion is that negatives have been overblown and positives swept under the carpet. I can see that this will have been an incredibly frustrating summer. Would I be raging about where this Carroll money has gone? Yes, of course I would. Would I be pissed off about what's going on with Barton, Enrique, Nolan etc? Of course. Has it been a Summer From Hell? Well, I'm not fully qualified to say but from what I've seen, no. I really think people have swept the signings of Marveaux, Ba, Ben Arfa and Cabaye under the carpet somewhat. You have Gosling coming back who barely played last year (if at all?) and it looks like he's beefed the fuck up, so he could really develop this year.

Now you look like signing someone who yes, hasn't hit it off at Man Utd, but also hasn't been given that much of a chance. After a troublesome few days, news comes that you're signing someone who could bolster your midfield and offer some pace on the wing and who knows, with some faith placed in him, could start to really establish himself in this league. Instead, it's "he's shit". That is what I find bamboozling.

Before someone says this, no, I'm not sticking up for Ashley. I am however sticking up for some of the very good business you've done so far this summer which has escaped the limelight due to the Enrique/Barton etc shenanigans. Potentially disruptive? I would certainly imagine so. Fucking shit? I don't agree.

:clap:

Nice to read some unbiased opinion. Thank you.

:thup:

Bloody hell, there's some quality over reactions on here like  :lol:

Like I've already said, I haven't seen him play (or knowingly seen him play), but I've done a bit of Dennis Wise scouting and he certainly looks like he's got the raw attributes to succeed (i.e. Pace, nice touch, ability to get past his man).

It could really be a case of confidence with him. He was obviously very highly rated, so maybe just maybe the move to Man Utd was too much for him.

He needs a run of games, he has all the tricks in his locker and he will get better as he develops some composure which comes with experience and games. He's been through the Clairfontaine academy in France so definitely isn't shit.

Bloody hell, there's some quality over reactions on here like  :lol:

Like I've already said, I haven't seen him play (or knowingly seen him play), but I've done a bit of Dennis Wise scouting and he certainly looks like he's got the raw attributes to succeed (i.e. Pace, nice touch, ability to get past his man).

It could really be a case of confidence with him. He was obviously very highly rated, so maybe just maybe the move to Man Utd was too much for him.

He needs a run of games, he has all the tricks in his locker and he will get better as he develops some composure which comes with experience and games. He's been through the Clairfontaine academy in France so definitely isn't s***.

Someone on here actually compared his dribbling and touch to Shola's and claimed he always runs the ball out of play when he gets it.

Makes one sick really.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Staying positive.

Young, fast, potential, squad depth. Less of Ryan Taylors and Danny Guthries and Peter Lovenkrands.

Good luck to the lad if he does in fact sign. Can honestly say i don't think I've ever seem him play, but he's young and used to be very highly thought of, so hopefully he can get back on track.

Agree.

How many had heard of ben Arfa and Tiote or seen them play? Not many, i know i hadn't.

Good luck to the lad if he does in fact sign. Can honestly say i don't think I've ever seem him play, but he's young and used to be very highly thought of, so hopefully he can get back on track.

Agree.

How many had heard of ben Arfa and Tiote or seen them play? Not many, i know i hadn't.

Really?

Agree.

Alan?

Agree.

I had heard of Ben Arfa like, but i see what you are getting at.

Agree.

Really?

Aye, i'd never heard of them or Cabaye and Marveux come to that.

Agree.

Alan?

Shearer? Aye i'd heard of him when he signed.

obertan is really talented, not sure why so much hate.

I'd rather have Obertan than Cleverley. I'm not giving up hope with Obertan until he either leaves or fulfills his potential.

I cannot see him making it at the club. But In the slight chance he will I think he needs a year on loan desperately. Surely this lack of football for the past 2 seasons (under 30 games many of which were as sub) at the age of 22 cannot be good for any kind of development.

Send him on loan and make the call after that

His shooting is top notch tbf. I've never seen him put a genuine "cross" in ala Young or Valencia, it's all rolled in side footed passes, which is a shame since his passing is by a large margin the weakest technical area for him.

I had really high hopes that last season we were gonna see something special from him, sadly the confidence to do what he is capable of simply isn't there and so Newcastle looks at this point like a better place for him.

As long as they dont treat him like they did rossi, Newcastle would be fantastic for him to have a year at.

I remember at one stage, i did rate him more than nani. The talent is there, just needs to make the step up.

Personally i'm happy we have signed someone with a bit of pace. I view him as an improvement on Routledge.

Same here, I'd rather we gambled on Obertan who many turn out to be a good Premier League player, rather than persist with Routledge who has proven with several clubs that he's not cut out to do it consistently at the top level.

As I mentioned though, my main concern is that I can really see Jonas departing.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Personally i'm happy we have signed someone with a bit of pace. I view him as an improvement on Routledge.

Same here, I'd rather we gambled on Obertan who many turn out to be a good Premier League player, rather than persist with Routledge who has proven with several clubs that he's not cut out to do it consistently at the top level.

That's my level of thinking too; Routledge has gone, Obertan might come in as a replacement for basically the same money. He's younger, and isn't afraid to take a man on. Could be all he needs is a season's worth of Football to help develop his decision making.

As I mentioned though, my main concern is that I can really see Jonas departing.

I've been worried about this since the signing of Marveaux. I'm looking forward to seeing Jonas in a team where he isnt the sole creative element. He's been over relied on for too long.