Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Didn't even play regularly for Girondins de Bordeaux looking at it. Odd.

He was only 20 years old when he signed for ManU.

Aye but he was making appearances for 3 seasons before that so I wonder why he didn't play regularly.

Didn't even play regularly for Girondins de Bordeaux looking at it. Odd.

I remember Blanc said he was surprised Man Utd wanted him.

Obertan is a weird signing for us. We already have depth in the wide positions, what we needed, if we were after a winger, was a first team player to push the likes of Jonas onto the bench - ie N'Zogbia or Barnetta. If Obertan means we don't go out and sign a first XI player for the same position then it's another shit move. And with Barton's position at the club in limbo, it's even more important that new player should be first XI quality. I don't see why we're after a squad player like Obertan, who still hasn't shown that he's premiership class.

If Barton stays I don't see what is wrong with Obertan.

Obviously I would have preferred an N'Zogbia but I think Obertan will be an improvement on what we had.

Yeah, as a 4th choice winger he'll be fine. Barton, Jonas and perhaps Marveaux are all of a better level and will be the primary candidates to start games. I just wish we'd signed someone more of Barton's calibre so that Jonas and Marveaux were our backups instead. if Barton leaves and we're left with those two plus Obertan, then considering the money we had at our disposal and the players we'd aimed for earlier, it'll be a massive disappointment.

anyways speaking of Obertan himself I've always thought he looked like a mix of embarrasing and exciting. For every good thing he does he'll do something else that makes you wince or cringe. Wide version of Shola maybe?

Wingers aren't consistant at the best of times but when you start 14 games in two years I imagine it's even harder to get things right on a regular basis.

I have no misconceptions that he will be some brilliant demi god but I think he will be more important than a lot are expecting.

Its cheaper to get players with the potential to step up than get ones that already have. Its as simple as that really. It doesnt mean this isnt a good signing, he might well step up. Its just riskier.

Personally i think out of Jonas, (hopefully Barton), Marv & now Obertan we've a decent chance of having two good wings on the go in some manner plus backups. I also think someone with Cabaye's vision could bring out the best in the pacier players.

Guest CheickMansour

Obviously I would have preferred an N'Zogbia but I think Obertan will be an improvement on what we had.

I agree. But in a way doesn't this defeat the point of signing him? Because if he's just going to shift from Man Utd's bench to our bench, then he's not going to get anymore experience and he's not going to improve. In which case we might as well have kept Routledge, who was cheaper.

Unless we plan on putting Barton on the bench and playing Obertan instead.

:no:

:snod:

:nope:

We could do this all day :)  I just think you probably overate Routledge, how many times have you seen him play in the Premier League?

About five or six times I suppose. Matter of opinion until he starts a few games consecutively for you. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. I'm just convinced it will be horrible.

I don't dislike him or anything. If he does well, fair play to the lad. I think I've to drink my own piss as well.

I agree. But in a way doesn't this defeat the point of signing him? Because if he's just going to shift from Man Utd's bench to our bench, then he's not going to get anymore experience and he's not going to improve. In which case we might as well have kept Routledge, who was cheaper.

Unless we plan on putting Barton on the bench and playing Obertan instead.

Despite Routledge being a backup player he still would have gotten plenty of games here if Pardew had any confidence in him at all.

We could do this all day :)  I just think you probably overate Routledge, how many times have you seen him play in the Premier League?

About five or six times I suppose. Matter of opinion until he starts a few games consecutively for you. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. I'm just convinced it will be horrible.

I don't dislike him or anything. If he does well, fair play to the lad. I think I've to drink my own piss as well.

Did you make a bet on here like?

Did you make a bet on here like?

Just said it on the whim somewhere on this thread. Not sure if someone picked up on it.

Nailed on last minute winner this season from him at SD.com@SJP*

:troll:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Looks like Obertan trying to go around a defender that.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/avs/avatar_10117.png