Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

I'd much prefer Cissokho over Pieters, cracking player and very highly-rated. If they were both the same price this would be a no-brainer.

It would be a no brainer if you were only looking at the player's ability but I'll bet Cissokho will want at least 10k a week more than Pieters as well as the fee being higher. If that doesn't get the hierarchy running scared I don't know what will.

Sorry if it was a bit unclear, what I meant was that if all the monetary factors (wages, fees etc.) were held constant and we were looking at ability alone, then Cissokho should definitely be the one to pursue. We're talking about a player who was linked to Barcelona not too long ago and one that I thought would be 'too good' to want to sign for us.

If he wants to join us and is willing to accept a sensible wage (even if it would be higher than what Pieters would accept), then we should be busting a gut to get him through the door. 8 million euros for him would be a steal.

That would be how most sensible folk would view it but you only have to look at us knocking back the Barnetta deal and signing Obertan instead to see how our pea brained minds work. That isn't a slight on Obertan btw, but it seems Mike Ashley would fit his own profile as the ideal customer at Sports Direct outlets.

Haven't seen Pieters play and, whilst its not necessarily a massive indication of his ability, had never even heard of him before our interest. I've seen  Cissokho play a fair bit and think he's a great player with a massive future ahead of him. I've mentioned this before but he's very highly-rated and it would be considered a sizeable coup if we managed to sign him.

As its looking more likely that (out of the two) Pieters will join, how good do you reckon he is RKO?

We didn't sign Barnetta because he got injured, I thought.

Actually now I recall the talk of Barnetta signing was when Barton started playing up and he was put on a free transfer. Then he dug his heels in and we put that on ice probably because we didn't want to pay two players big wages for one position.

Haven't seen Pieters play and, whilst its not necessarily a massive indication of his ability, had never even heard of him before our interest. I've seen  Cissokho play a fair bit and think he's a great player with a massive future ahead of him. I've mentioned this before but he's very highly-rated and it would be considered a sizeable coup if we managed to sign him.

As its looking more likely that (out of the two) Pieters will join, how good do you reckon he is RKO?

Never seen Pieters play, seen Cissohko a few times in the CL. Thought he looked class to be fair, but apparently last season he was rubbish. I've just heard Pieters is a solid player without being outstanding. I'd rather take a solid but consistent than outstanding but inconsistent.

It can't really be that clear-cut. If we were adamant that we wanted Pieters (the "cheap" option) from the start it looks like that deal could have been tied up weeks ago. The whole reason this has dragged on seems to be because a window of opportunity opened for Cissokho.

Whatever. I pretty much don't care any more. Either one please.

It can't really be that clear-cut. If we were adamant that we wanted Pieters (the "cheap" option) from the start it looks like that deal could have been tied up weeks ago. The whole reason this has dragged on seems to be because a window of opportunity opened for Cissokho.

Or we could be using the Cissokho link to drive down the price/wages of the Pieters deal. WE could still end up with Wayne Bridge on a short term loan deal depending on what happens on deadline day by the looks of it.

Or we could be using the Cissokho link to drive down the price/wages of the Pieters deal. WE could still end up with Wayne Bridge on a short term loan deal depending on what happens on deadline day by the looks of it.

There needs to be a word to describe players like Wayne Bridge or Carlton Cole.

They're like the Boogeymen of transfer windows. :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Le Parisien saying the player would be in favour of coming here.

Going to be even more disappointing when pieters arrives and bombs

Guest icemanblue

Le Parisien saying the player would be in favour of coming here.

Going to be even more disappointing when pieters arrives and bombs

:lol: What the actual fuck, man?!

Cissokho or Pieters, tough one, but if I was to help Ashley, Llambais and Pardew make a decision i'd say put it all on black.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pieters lack of pace is a massive weakness in this league which will be highlighted far more frequently in thie premier league than in the Eredivisie.

I have watched him a few times now, through highlights and clips and whilst looking relatively consistent, he hasnt come up against a Lennon, Walcott, Valencia type player and he will struggle.

Our defensive strength last year was teams inability to break us down on the left meaning most trouble came down the right, and we could pre-empt it.

I have just got a feeling based on what i have seen that he is not a premier league player, whilst Cissokho has all of the attributes including pace and power to be a success

Hope im wrong :(

Ffs, if we can get this guy for just £1.5m more than Pieters i really don't see how even Ashley and Llambias can be that stupid...

Looks less mobile than Cissokho. Not sure we'll need an Enrique/Cissokho type defender with Marveaux on the left, however.

That's if Marveaux can stay fit... If Jonas is going to be on the left for most of the season, then we are going to need a left-back that can attack. Conundrum.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Journal reckons they want £8m which was always going to be too much for us.

8mil left back

10mil striker

3mil obertan

4.5mil Cabaye

25.5mil

2mil Routledge

4mil Nolan

35mil Carroll

6mil Enrique

47mil

21.5 mil profit

If we spent that i would actually be chuffed.