Sunderland v Newcastle - 20/08/11 at 12noon (not live on TV!)

Fatwax

Call me whatever you want, but I seriously worry if we line up with R.Taylor and Shola.

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  R.Taylor

Barton  Cabaye  Tiote   Jonas

Ameobi  Ba

2-1 to them.

Have exactly the same feeling

:undecided:

We've got a decent midfield, we have the potential to control the game there as we did last season but they're obviously going to target Ryan Taylor and get the ball down their right whenever they can. I think we'll sit deep when we lose the ball so he's not so exposed in one on one situations. Gutierrez will need to drop back and help out.

I'd have Obertan up front, had a good cameo against Arsenal and offers vital pace on the counter. His presence will stop them holding a high line as Arsenal did against Ameobi and Ba. We virtually conceded the midfield in that game and let them pass it about in midfield. The two forwards got the ball 40 yards from goal and neither really held it up well. Pace and movement solves that problem, I don't think their centre backs will fancy a sprint against Obertan so they'll drop deeper which allows our midfield more breathing room and we can get the ball to the strikers further up the pitch. That happened to some extent in the Arsenal game after Obertan came on.

Ameobi or Ba isn't an easy one. We know Ameobi's limitations, but none of our strikers have set the world alight in pre-season and Ba struggled last week. They fear Ameobi and in this kind of game, lacking a form striker, I'd go with a player who has proven he can not only handle the occasion but thrive under it. You see some players wilt in derby games but we've seen before how Ameobi responds against the mackems. Throwing Ba in seems a risk to me, you have to ask yourself who they will fear more.

To be honest any strikeforce we put out is going to look toothless on current evidence. I'd like to see Vuckic on the bench, he's looked sharp in pre-season and offers an element of surprise.

Pardew has build a ridiculous rod for his back saying he'll start Ameobi. Means we're going to See Ba and Ameobi in a 442 again for at least the first half, ignoring the fact that we looked 100% better when he mad Obertan the 2nd striker/5th midfielder. While they will be more effective that they were vs Arsenal, he really can't be considering Ameobi as the second best striker at the club...:undecided:

Call me whatever you want, but I seriously worry if we line up with R.Taylor and Shola.

Krul

Barton  Cabaye  Tiote   Jonas

Ameobi  Ba

2-1 to them.

I worry a bit with Taylor in there, but not Shola.  People will say its nonsense that Shola always does well against Sunderland, but you can't really argue with 6 goals in 4 starts.

Guest CheickMansour

Krul

Barton  Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

Ameobi  Ba

2-1 to them.

Although I expect that to be the line-up, I'm really hoping we can play a 4-5-1 with Obertan behind the striker (suggested above). He was really good as a substitute last week, and, most importantly, has the pace to stretch their defence. We don't have many players like that.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Obertan will start tomorrow. Pardew did say he wanted more pace in the team away from home to catch teams on the break.

or along those lines

He won't.

Obertan will start tomorrow. Pardew did say he wanted more pace in the team away from home to catch teams on the break.

or along those lines

Don't see it myself, cant see him benching Ba or Barton

Obertan playing behind Shola.

We looked a lot better against Arsenal playing that formation.  Sunderland will have 5 in midfield as well, with Sessegnon dropping deep.  Otherwise, we'd get outnumbered in midfield again playing 4 in there.

Pardew has build a ridiculous rod for his back saying he'll start Ameobi. Means we're going to See Ba and Ameobi in a 442 again for at least the first half, ignoring the fact that we looked 100% better when he mad Obertan the 2nd striker/5th midfielder. While they will be more effective that they were vs Arsenal, he really can't be considering Ameobi as the second best striker at the club...:undecided:

:clap: Really infuriating. Obertan will eventually come on for Shola, and we will gain from it momentarily. Only an injury can stop Shola Ameobi from starting for Newcastle in fucking 2011. That's just :facepalm:

Guest WashyGeordie

He could be replacing Ba for Obertan with a 4-5-1.

Would be crazy playing 4-4-2 away at the SOS. Surely?

Guest WashyGeordie

He could be replacing Ba for Obertan with a 4-5-1.

Would be crazy playing 4-4-2 away at the SOS. Surely?

Like last season, with Best and Shola up front?

Aye but it's the 2nd game of the season, both teams (or ours) hasn't really gelled yet and we haven't beat them 5-1/played them at home before away...