The Strawberry Corner

Crumpy Gunt

I'm 6ft2 and I've got a dodgy left knee that I can't bend properly and I manage to sit down for a game at SJP so stop moaning you lanky bastards :razz:

Me anarl, i'm 6' 3" and find standing too long knacks my back. Loads of leg room in Level 7 Milburn anyway.

But the recommendations made by the Taylor report say you can't stand. So no,you shouldn't be standing .

You're right. Ever been to an away game? Hope you sat down and reported all those rascals around you for standing. After all it's proven just how unsafe it is to stand on your own 2 feet.

On top of that I've read a few comments from people who'd moved down from level 7 and sat for the entire game, were disappointed that they had to but had respect for those around them and remained seated. Don't see that getting mentioned in this thread, mind...

Because that's what they should be doing if there are people behind them sitting.

All the same, well done to them for finding the mental strength and determination to sit down for an hour and a half :laugh:

On top of that I've read a few comments from people who'd moved down from level 7 and sat for the entire game, were disappointed that they had to but had respect for those around them and remained seated. Don't see that getting mentioned in this thread, mind...

Because that's what they should be doing if there are people behind them sitting.

All the same, well done to them for finding the mental strength and determination to sit down for an hour and a half :laugh:

Mentioned it because people were saying that everyone was moving down from level 7 and standing/causing bother despite people telling them to sit down, tarring them all with the same brush. Just wanted to point out that plenty didn't cause any hassle. I thought this was pretty obvious.

Guest Blackandwhitearmy

Weirdly; Our away support are the worst offenders in the country for persistant standing yet arguably the best away support in the Premier League.

Such a contrast between the away and home support.

As much as I would like to see safe standing areas brought back into to the ground it's simply not going to happen. I honestly think that if some supporters refuse to sit during the games they'll be warned a few times then they'll have their tickets taken from them one at a time. The stewards will just identify any seats where the spectator is constantly and they'll lose their tickets.

Mentioned it because people were saying that everyone was moving down from level 7 and standing/causing bother despite people telling them to sit down, tarring them all with the same brush. Just wanted to point out that plenty didn't cause any hassle. I thought this was pretty obvious.

Nobody being serious suggested that all of those from Level 7 were to blame.

Guest WashyGeordie

Standing has never been a crime, and was never the fault (or major factor atleast) at Hillsborough (which has been proved to of been bad policing)

It's a coincidence they get more money from fans for seats compared to standing (with the PL the worst culprits), and the German league has very successfully introduced Safe Standing for a number of years now with no casualties etc.

It's the biggest myth/con in UK football and it's all to do with... £££.

Standing has never been a crime, and was never the fault (or major factor atleast) at Hillsborough (which has been proved to of been bad policing)

It's a coincidence they get more money from fans for seats compared to standing (with the PL the worst culprits), and the German league has very successfully introduced Safe Standing for a number of years now with no casualties etc.

It might not be a crime but when you buy the ticket you agree to the terms and conditions of it. Sitting for most of the game is one of them. They're well within their legal rights to cancel season tickets if you're* standing rather than sitting for the majority of the game.

*not you personally obviously.

But the recommendations made by the Taylor report say you can't stand. So no,you shouldn't be standing .

You're right. Ever been to an away game? Hope you sat down and reported all those rascals around you for standing. After all it's proven just how unsafe it is to stand on your own 2 feet.

Look,I don't disagree with you,I believe there should be standing areas in grounds. I stood watching football for 20 years and I far preferred it to sitting. The fact is,since 1989 and Hillsboro, Lord Justice Taylor outlawed standing areas,and now they don't exist at top flight grounds. I think the last time I stood at a game legally would have been at Selhurst Park in 1994ish?  for Ruel Fox's debut vs. Wimbledon. When something exciting happens,ie,we are in a very promising attacking position,you naturally stand ,but only until the move ends,not for the whole match...it isn't fair for your fellow fans who don't want to/cannot stand for long periods.

It might not be a crime but when you buy the ticket you agree to the terms and conditions of it. Sitting for most of the game is one of them. They're well within their legal rights to cancel season tickets if you're* standing rather than sitting for the majority of the game.

*not you personally obviously.

:thup: Of course they can.

The relevant terms and conditions:

8 Cancellation & Withdrawal of Season Ticket

8.1 Without prejudice to any other remedies it may have, the Club shall have the right to eject an offender and to cancel and withdraw your Season Ticket for any serious or persistent breach of these Terms & Conditions of Use or clause 3.3 above. In the event of such cancellation no refund will be paid in respect of any unexpired portion of the Season Ticket. Without prejudice to the general nature of the above the following actions shall constitute serious breach of the Terms & Conditions of Use:

8.1.1 smoking in designated non-smoking areas;

8.1.2 persistent standing in seated areas whilst the Match is in progress;

8.1.3 sale or transfer (save as permitted) of this Season Ticket to any person for one or more matches;

8.1.4 deliberate misuse of the Season Ticket;

8.1.5 the supply of any misleading or incorrect information in any application;

8.1.6 persistent swearing during one or more Match;

8.1.7 the throwing of any object within the Ground without lawful authority or excuse;

8.1.8 the chanting of anything of an indecent, racist, sexist or homophobic nature or discriminatory comments directed towards people with a disability;

8.1.9 any misrepresentation in relation to clause 1.2;

8.1.10 breach of the terms of any Membership;

8.1.11 any failure to pay or default of payment in respect of any sums owing to the Club (or any third party) in respect of this Season Ticket;

8.1.12 any offence under the Football Spectators Act 1989; the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol Act) 1985; the Football Offences Act 1991; any other criminal offence in or near the Ground or being subject to a Banning Order under the Football Disorder Act 2000 (all as may be amended from time to time);

8.1.13 spitting or adopting unruly, inappropriate, offensive or illegal behaviour;

8.1.14 behaviour likely to cause damage, injury, nuisance or annoyance or for failure to comply with the reasonable requests of Club officials.

8.2 In the event that your Season Ticket is withdrawn or cancelled the Club reserves the right to exclude you from any membership scheme maintained or organised by the Club and/or to disqualify you from applying for any Match ticket or season ticket at its discretion.

You've not got a leg to stand on if they make a note of your seat during the course of the season. You agreed to abide by those terms when you bought the ticket.

Look,I don't disagree with you,I believe there should be standing areas in grounds. I stood watching football for 20 years and I far preferred it to sitting. The fact is,since 1989 and Hillsboro, Lord Justice Taylor outlawed standing areas,and now they don't exist at top flight grounds. I think the last time I stood at a game legally would have been at Selhurst Park in 1994ish?  for Ruel Fox's debut vs. Wimbledon. When something exciting happens,ie,we are in a very promising attacking position,you naturally stand ,but only until the move ends,not for the whole match...it isn't fair for your fellow fans who don't want to/cannot stand for long periods.

You're right, I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. There's not a single point there I don't agree with. Of course it isn't fair to stand infront of those wanting to sit, but surely if you look at the bigger picture - the fact those who want to stand have now had to move several times, then the outcry over fans having to move a few rows down or to any other section of the ground isn't that bad, in my honest opinion. People aren't standing to be cunts and spoil peoples match day experience, they just want to re-produce the atmosphere Newcastle is apparently famous for. People can claim it can be just as good sitting all they want - all I know is the atmosphere can be pretty fucking terrible at SJP, yet look at games like the Sunderland 5-1 and the whole ground was on it's feet for the majority of the game, and as you can guess, the place was bouncing.

You're right, I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. There's not a single point there I don't agree with. Of course it isn't fair to stand infront of those wanting to sit, but surely if you look at the bigger picture - the fact those who want to stand have now had to move several times, then the outcry over fans having to move a few rows down or to any other section of the ground isn't that bad, in my honest opinion. People aren't standing to be cunts and spoil peoples match day experience, they just want to re-produce the atmosphere Newcastle is apparently famous for. People can claim it can be just as good sitting all they want - all I know is the atmosphere can be pretty fucking terrible at SJP, yet look at games like the Sunderland 5-1 and the whole ground was on it's feet for the majority of the game, and as you can guess, the place was bouncing.

I'm pretty sure the FA  wouldn't sanction such an area though,which makes the whole point moot. Even though there should certainly be discussions on the subject. Ashley might surprisingly be for it, seeing as he could point to the cost of ripping seats from a stand to accommodate such an area, was from the transfer "warchest". :lol:

I'm pretty sure the FA  wouldn't sanction such an area though,which makes the whole point moot. Even though there should certainly be discussions on the subject. Ashley might surprisingly be for it, seeing as he could point to the cost of ripping seats from a stand to accommodate such an area, was from the transfer "warchest". :lol:

I'm not talking about it being safe standing, just people standing infront of their seats like in the away end of SJP and the last few seasons in the Leazes Corner. If everyone stood in the SE Corner nobody would get banned as they couldn't enforce it. Either way over the next few seasons I've got a feeling more people will start moving to the SE corner for the atmosphere/to stand, I can only hope.

I'm not talking about it being safe standing, just people standing infront of their seats like in the away end of SJP and the last few seasons in the Leazes Corner. If everyone stood in the SE Corner nobody would get banned as they couldn't enforce it. Either way over the next few seasons I've got a feeling more people will start moving to the SE corner for the atmosphere/to stand, I can only hope.

Of course they can. They warn you, they formally warn you with a letter then they cancel your ticket so you can't get in the ground. If a steward asks you to sit down during the game and you refuse/kick up a fuss and they make a note of your seat you've not got a leg to stand on. It might not mean the coppers ejecting you during the course of a game but the stewards will quickly get sick of telling the same people to sit down. It'll start with a few and snowball if the rest don't fall into line.

I'm pretty sure the FA  wouldn't sanction such an area though,which makes the whole point moot. Even though there should certainly be discussions on the subject. Ashley might surprisingly be for it, seeing as he could point to the cost of ripping seats from a stand to accommodate such an area, was from the transfer "warchest". :lol:

Of course they can. They warn you, they formally warn you with a letter then they cancel your ticket so you can't get in the ground. If a steward asks you to sit down during the game and you refuse/kick up a fuss and they make a note of your seat you've not got a leg to stand on. It might not mean the coppers ejecting you during the course of a game but the stewards will quickly get sick of telling the same people to sit down. It'll start with a few and snowball if the rest don't fall into line.

Didn't happen for many a season in the Leazes L7 and then 3 seasons in the Leazes Corner. If they enforced it with thousands of people standing (like I said, if everyone there stood, as things do stand at small numbers then aye they're an easy target) then they'd never have the balls to ban thousands of fans from the ground, it's not happened at a single club in England as far as I'm aware and I severly doubt we'd be the first to attempt it.

Edit: Suppose I should have said wouldn't than couldn't, but point still stands. They could, but like I said I very much doubt they'd dare ban thousands of ST holders from the ground.

Guest WashyGeordie

The relevant terms and conditions:

8 Cancellation & Withdrawal of Season Ticket

8.1 Without prejudice to any other remedies it may have, the Club shall have the right to eject an offender and to cancel and withdraw your Season Ticket for any serious or persistent breach of these Terms & Conditions of Use or clause 3.3 above. In the event of such cancellation no refund will be paid in respect of any unexpired portion of the Season Ticket. Without prejudice to the general nature of the above the following actions shall constitute serious breach of the Terms & Conditions of Use:

8.1.1 smoking in designated non-smoking areas;

8.1.2 persistent standing in seated areas whilst the Match is in progress;

8.1.3 sale or transfer (save as permitted) of this Season Ticket to any person for one or more matches;

8.1.4 deliberate misuse of the Season Ticket;

8.1.5 the supply of any misleading or incorrect information in any application;

8.1.6 persistent swearing during one or more Match;

8.1.7 the throwing of any object within the Ground without lawful authority or excuse;

8.1.8 the chanting of anything of an indecent, racist, sexist or homophobic nature or discriminatory comments directed towards people with a disability;

8.1.9 any misrepresentation in relation to clause 1.2;

8.1.10 breach of the terms of any Membership;

8.1.11 any failure to pay or default of payment in respect of any sums owing to the Club (or any third party) in respect of this Season Ticket;

8.1.12 any offence under the Football Spectators Act 1989; the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol Act) 1985; the Football Offences Act 1991; any other criminal offence in or near the Ground or being subject to a Banning Order under the Football Disorder Act 2000 (all as may be amended from time to time);

8.1.13 spitting or adopting unruly, inappropriate, offensive or illegal behaviour;

8.1.14 behaviour likely to cause damage, injury, nuisance or annoyance or for failure to comply with the reasonable requests of Club officials.

8.2 In the event that your Season Ticket is withdrawn or cancelled the Club reserves the right to exclude you from any membership scheme maintained or organised by the Club and/or to disqualify you from applying for any Match ticket or season ticket at its discretion.

You've not got a leg to stand on if they make a note of your seat during the course of the season. You agreed to abide by those terms when you bought the ticket.

Didn't say i do stand anymore, i did stand in the Leazes (with the other 2-3k) but now sit in the Gallowgate. I just think standing's been proven elsewhere that 'safe standing' or even standing can work and even standing in League 1 - lower is allowed, but is not in the PL? I just believe they're ripping the fans off as they can charge whatever they want for a seat (and it is getting higher!)

And i'm not saying stand when others behind sit, i just think there should be a choice or designated areas atleast.

I'm pretty sure the FA  wouldn't sanction such an area though,which makes the whole point moot. Even though there should certainly be discussions on the subject. Ashley might surprisingly be for it, seeing as he could point to the cost of ripping seats from a stand to accommodate such an area, was from the transfer "warchest". :lol:

Didn't happen for many a season in the Leazes L7 and then 3 seasons in the Leazes Corner. If they enforced it with thousands of people standing (like I said, if everyone there stood, as things do stand at small numbers then aye they're an easy target) then they'd never have the balls to ban thousands of fans from the ground, it's not happened at a single club in England as far as I'm aware and I severly doubt we'd be the first to attempt it.

Edit: Suppose I should have said wouldn't than couldn't, but point still stands. They could, but like I said I very much doubt they'd dare ban thousands of ST holders from the ground.

Yep. Like someone said - the 'danger' of standing is a total con we are supposed to just accept, when it reality we are being completely shafted. If they are going to basically keep enforcing this con, with no admission that standing is not dangerous, then people have to take things into their own hands. The defeatist & easy thing to do would be to shrug your shoulders and think there is no choice, but they cannot deal with the numbers which are on our side if get organised - e.g. Leazes Corner. We just need to do it in a way which is not abusive or aggressive, and trying to co-operate with our fellow fans, swapping seats for example if possible.

the reason it wasn't enforced would be, at a guess, everyone in that area wanted to do it and yes the club has fucked up by moving it, but that is still no excuse for continually doing it when they know it will block the view of others who don't want to stand.

also, while the subjects up you'd think the clubs would want standing back as even without cramming them in like sardines they'd be able to get more bodies in at lower ticket prices catering for all pockets much to the benefit of the atmosphere and finances.

the reason it wasn't enforced would be, at a guess, everyone in that area wanted to do it and yes the club has fucked up by moving it, but that is still no excuse for continually doing it when they know it will block the view of others who don't want to stand.

Seriously, Madras, do you read my posts? I clearly said that as things stand the people that are standing in the SE corner are an easy target, I wouldn't be that shocked if something happens to them. Your post is completely baffling given what my post said, it's almost like you want to jump on the back of those standing in the corner at any oppertunity regardless of what I say. I'm lost for words really  :kinnear:

the reason it wasn't enforced would be, at a guess, everyone in that area wanted to do it and yes the club has f***ed up by moving it, but that is still no excuse for continually doing it when they know it will block the view of others who don't want to stand.

Seriously, Madras, do you read my posts? I clearly said that as things stand the people that are standing in the SE corner are an easy target, I wouldn't be that shocked if something happens to them. Your post is completely baffling given what my post said, it's almost like you want to jump on the back of those standing in the corner at any oppertunity regardless of what I say. I'm lost for words really  :kinnear:

what part of it is baffling as it seems very straightforward to me ?

maddy was being completely reasonable.  ???

I didn't say he wasn't, I was saying his post didn't at all relate to what I was saying, how can you not see that  :harry:

what part of it is baffling as it seems very straightforward to me ?

the reason it wasn't enforced would be, at a guess, everyone in that area wanted to do it and yes the club has f***ed up by moving it, but that is still no excuse for continually doing it when they know it will block the view of others who don't want to stand.

This. I never said it was an excuse for them to stand. I was pointing out the club wouldn't act on standing if there was several thousand people doing it, as seen in previous seasons. I then said if it was the same situation in the SE corner that they wouldn't do anything. I then, however, said that as things stand the people who are stood in the SE corner are an easy target. Yet for some reason you then say this is no excuse for those currently standing and blocking peoples views, which doesn't even relate to any point I was making. The only point in my post was that when everyone in an area wants to stand then nothing will be done, which you clearly agree with me based on the first sentance of that post. The rest I have no idea why you added as I never claimed it was an excuse for standing.