The Strawberry Corner

Crumpy Gunt

maddy was being completely reasonable.  ???

I didn't say he wasn't, I was saying his post didn't at all relate to what I was saying, how can you not see that  :harry:

what part of it is baffling as it seems very straightforward to me ?

the reason it wasn't enforced would be, at a guess, everyone in that area wanted to do it and yes the club has f***ed up by moving it, but that is still no excuse for continually doing it when they know it will block the view of others who don't want to stand.

This. I never said it was an excuse for them to stand. I was pointing out the club wouldn't act on standing if there was several thousand people doing it, as seen in previous seasons. I then said if it was the same situation in the SE corner that they wouldn't do anything. I then, however, said that as things stand the people who are stood in the SE corner are an easy target. Yet for some reason you then say this is no excuse for those currently standing and blocking peoples views, which doesn't even relate to any point I was making. The only point in my post was that when everyone in an area wants to stand then nothing will be done, which you clearly agree with me based on the first sentance of that post. The rest I have no idea why you added as I never claimed it was an excuse for standing.

so you agree with me that if they are asked to sit down by the people behind them or stewardsthen  they should ?

mind you, this makes me think you are being a tad disingenuous.....

while I sympathise with those who are forced to stand against their will this only makes it evident how much a standing section is required. Plus if you're forced to stand then that means you're in the minority of people wanting to sit in that section, there's still 50,000 or so seats you could move to if you can't cope with standing, god forbid, at a football match.

I half agree with that, if people behind them ask them to sit then aye, that's only fair. If you're stood in the last few rows or whatever and everyone's fine with standing then I'd ignore the stewards and join in the the inevitable chorus of stand up if you love the toon.

If you're stuck behind a group of people standing as I said (hence if you're forced to stand then that means you're in the minority) then it's different, I don't think one person should get a whole section sat down just because they don't like it, especially on the basis that there's roughly 50,000 other seats they could choose to sit in wheras the amount of standing is fucking tiny.

I half agree with that, if people behind them ask them to sit then aye, that's only fair. If you're stood in the last few rows or whatever and everyone's fine with standing then I'd ignore the stewards and join in the the inevitable chorus of stand up if you love the toon.

If you're stuck behind a group of people standing as I said (hence if you're forced to stand then that means you're in the minority) then it's different, I don't think one person should get a whole section sat down just because they don't like it, especially on the basis that there's roughly 50,000 other seats they could choose to sit in wheras the amount of standing is f***ing tiny.

they cant choose between 50,000 other seats as i doubt those occupying them would want to move. this is very similar to the swearing argument with heza a while back and the simple answer is you take a look around and use your nouse. however from what i agther theres been a lack of that and a fair bit of fuck you going on.

to clarify, after close on 20 years in the gallowgate middle tier i've moved up to level 7 family bit to take my kids, also it means 4 of us who were spread out can sit together. 1 was sat in that corner and left his mates there and they were pissed off at the attitude of the newcomers, basically "i don't give a fuck about you" and i fear that there will be enough complaints that will make the club act.

The simple truth is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with L7 and then club decided to move people (be it because of anti-ashley chants/standing/etc/etc). 

That’s where the problem lies, not with the people in the area who now have an influx of L7 chaps, nor should the issue be with those coming from L7, but with the fucking idiots at the club for getting rid of arguably one of the few areas of the ground that was persistently noisy and that also had a great understanding with one another. 

Everyone stood, everyone sung.

Yes you can state the rules and what the club will do, threatening letters, etc etc, but people will stand at the football match, others will want to sit, but until there’s a designated area (if the governing bodies wake up and realised that a 'standing' section is feasible in this modern age) there will be conflict between people at first.

After a few weeks of this season anyhow, everyone will bed in, get used to their new neighbours and all will be rosy, but the simple fact is that all this fucking hassle need not have happened by keeping things the way it was.

don't you just hate modern day football! gets worse every year

Sure does. I attend more Northern League football then I do Premier League football these days because it's more enjoyable. Fiver in, stand where you like, half time pint in a nice clubhouse in a proper glass for around £2.30, a pie for under £1.50 and then a bit crack with the players/managers back in the clubhouse afterwards compared to £36 for the cheapest adult ticket on Saturday, sit down or else you're liable to be ejected from the ground, crappy overpriced beer and food, players cheating, and overall a bloody boring game.

It's a world apart compared to what it was like when I first started following NUFC in the 1980's and I don't like it.

Guest SuperShola!

Does it cost money to change seats? I did ask this yesterday but no-one gave a fuck and ignored my post that bumped this back to the top of the thread :(

Does it cost money to change seats? I did ask this yesterday but no-one gave a f*** and ignored my post that bumped this back to the top of the thread :(

Didnt cost me when I changed seats a few years ago.

I've just moved down from L7 to the 'Corner' and i'm not entirely happy. I loved my old seat on the balcony where I could stand without hassle. Now i'm stuck sitting down in a fucking uncomfortable seat and a worse view imo. What pisses me off even more is the fact that L7 is no where near full. If the FCB had sold out up there i could see some logic behind his decision to move people.

On the plus side the atmosphere in the corner wasnt awful and I can definately see it improving.

Guest SuperShola!

Does it cost money to change seats? I did ask this yesterday but no-one gave a f*** and ignored my post that bumped this back to the top of the thread :(

I've just moved down from L7 to the 'Corner' and i'm not entirely happy. I loved my old seat on the balcony where I could stand without hassle. Now i'm stuck sitting down in a f***ing uncomfortable seat and a worse view imo. What pisses me off even more is the fact that L7 is no where near full. If the FCB had sold out up there i could see some logic behind his decision to move people.

On the plus side the atmosphere in the corner wasnt awful and I can definately see it improving.

I want to sty in the corner, just want to move back abit where i'd feel more at home and not stuck to pensioners that hate Ameobi :)

Guest hobshobs

I've just moved down from L7 to the 'Corner' and i'm not entirely happy. I loved my old seat on the balcony where I could stand without hassle. Now i'm stuck sitting down in a f***ing uncomfortable seat and a worse view imo. What pisses me off even more is the fact that L7 is no where near full. If the FCB had sold out up there i could see some logic behind his decision to move people.

I want to sty in the corner, just want to move back abit where i'd feel more at home and not stuck to pensioners that hate Ameobi :)

Why not get a seat on the pitch. You could sit right next to Shola for 90 minutes. The big lazy piece of s*** never moves so you'd have a great opportunity to strike up good conversation. Don't be offended if he falls asleep. It's not your conversation, just a habit that has got worse and worse over the last 11 years.

Guest SuperShola!

Why not get a seat on the pitch. You could sit right next to Shola for 90 minutes. The big lazy piece of s*** never moves so you'd have a great opportunity to strike up good conversation. Don't be offended if he falls asleep. It's not your conversation, just a habit that has got worse and worse over the last 11 years.

No thanks. Anyhow, i'll have a word with the box office and see if I can get it changed.

Guest craigmadge

Costs £25 to move, plus there are hardly any seats left in the strawberry corner. Contemplating moving to the gallowgate but unsure where I will be able to stand there, not sure I want to be right at the back. Any help?

Guest Roger Kint

Costs £25 to move, plus there are hardly any seats left in the strawberry corner. Contemplating moving to the gallowgate but unsure where I will be able to stand there, not sure I want to be right at the back. Any help?

Aye where ever you choose theres a plastic thing attached to it, you could pick a place with a good view without having to worry about standing all game.

I can pretty much guarantee (?)  that 95% of season ticket holders breach at least one of tlhose terms and conditions every single season. I'm on my phone so can't be arsed to type my full opinion out, but what I will say is that this whole debate is just another issue that plays part in destroying the 'beautiful' game. There's too many old, miserable, boring twats these days who forget what it was like to be 21, full of drink with your mates and chanting for your heroes on the terraces. It's fine for them to tell their stories of being chased, etc but now it's totally unacceptable for people to stand and sing. Fuck off man.

Guest Roger Kint

I can pretty much guarantee (?)  that 95% of season ticket holders breach at least one of tlhose terms and conditions every single season. I'm on my phone so can't be arsed to type my full opinion out, but what I will say is that this whole debate is just another issue that plays part in destroying the 'beautiful' game. There's too many old, miserable, boring twats these days who forget what it was like to be 21, full of drink with your mates and chanting for your heroes on the terraces. It's fine for them to tell their stories of being chased, etc but now it's totally unacceptable for people to stand and sing. f*** off man.

In my near 20 years of going to games not one bit of that rubbish is true aside from the standing bit which is only fair for any 'old, miserable, boring twat' that wants or needs to actually use his seat. Imagine the selfish old twats daring to turn up to see the fucking game eh? Arseholes to a man..............

I can pretty much guarantee (?)  that 95% of season ticket holders breach at least one of tlhose terms and conditions every single season. I'm on my phone so can't be arsed to type my full opinion out, but what I will say is that this whole debate is just another issue that plays part in destroying the 'beautiful' game. There's too many old, miserable, boring twats these days who forget what it was like to be 21, full of drink with your mates and chanting for your heroes on the terraces. It's fine for them to tell their stories of being chased, etc but now it's totally unacceptable for people to stand and sing. Fuck off man.

Even if I wanted to, I can't stand up for a whole game. Dodgy legs. So what do I do the next time I'm sat behind a bunch of boring 21-year-old twats, full of drink and with no idea of what it's like to be getting old or have a disability? Few years back at an away game saw an old Geordie, about 65 or 70, get intimidated by a bunch of Stone Island knobheads for having the temerity to suggest they sit down and let him see the game he'd paid to see. They weren't singing or anything either, like, just standing there trying to look hard.

If you're going to have all seater stadiums then everyone has to sit down IMO. Otherwise people who prefer to sit will have their experience ruined, and so will people who want to stand.

The only solution is dedicated standing sections, until then everyone should sit down.

I should point out that I wasn't generalising all old people to be boring twats there, for the record.

It was a little bit rant-tastic that, but what I'm getting at, is that for anyone to suggest that allocated standing areas should not be created (regardless of whether it's safe standing or in front of a seat) is nothing short of ridiculous. It is a human right to be able to stand, or walk, or jump even, so why should you be forced to sit?

The powers that be, have simply pushed for it to become a social norm that you sit at football matches. The main reasoning behind this is Hillsbrough and money. So, other than being able to charge a fortune for a ticket, a one off occurrence which was the result of poor policing/overcrowding and metal fences is all they have to argue with.

How many stadiums over the course of a year hold gigs and concerts where people stand at their seats dancing to Bon Jovi or rocking out to a bit of Oasis? It's safe to do so then, and that's people dancing around. So standing cannot be that much of a danger. It's not dangerous in the slightest, so long as it is well managed/policed.

Might I add, that I don't think the solution is to stand in front of those who wish to be seated. However, I think it's totally unfair to not feel the slightest bit sympathy to those of us who've been moved 3 or 4 times (possibly more) over the last several seasons. The fans of this club have been treat like shit, and for many throwing the ticket in won't suffice. They want to show their support by being at the ground, and standing next to one another as a group, chanting and singing for their heroes every weekend. It's not like you cannot stream any match you want or watch it on the TV.

People go to the match for the atmosphere, yet half the people there complain about those who go all out to create an atmosphere. Whilst I agree there is an element of charver mongs and people with no respect, these tend to be the knackers that help generate the atmosphere.

All in all there should be seperate sections for likeminded people, whether it be standing sitting, creating a noise, or sipping tea and biscuits discussing how shit we are.

I know for a fact, I can go to the match and my Dad's mates will tell me about stories being chased by Arsenal at Kings Cross in the 70's and 80's and how the Geordies took whatever end, and how we totally outsung opponents and made amazing atmospheres, and it's what we're world renowned for. Yet there sdoes seem to be a growing minority that seem to think for the youth of today to do it is totally unacceptable. That's what fucks me off. If you want to be entertained fuck off to the cinema in my opinion.