The Strawberry Corner

Crumpy Gunt

Guest NewBoyPeetah

Where I was the atmosphere was none existent really. People can't make noise in a positively but they can bring the whole stand to life when Shola does something bad.

Guest thebigfella

i gave up my corner ticket up about 2 years ago my uncle still sits there and if those idiots were standing up the whole game he would have been going mental... i hope the woman that you guy were talking about that asked them to sit down isn't  Mavis she's been sat in the corner for years deserves a bit of respect!!!! little pricks the lot of them!!!

I love the irony of the fact people on here claim the level 7 lot think they're better than everyone, yet we have people from other parts of the ground claiming for some reason the amount of years you've had a season ticket somehow makes your opinion more important. Why don't they get stick? I couldn't give a fuck if you've had a season ticket since St James' was built, tbh.

I'm delighted to hear a more people were standing, hopefully it continues to grow over the following seasons. Nobody is to blame other than the cunts that shut off L7, while I sympathise with those who are forced to stand against their will this only makes it evident how much a standing section is required. Plus if you're forced to stand then that means you're in the minority of people wanting to sit in that section, there's still 50,000 or so seats you could move to if you can't cope with standing, god forbid, at a football match.

I love the irony of the fact people on here claim the level 7 lot think they're better than everyone, yet we have people from other parts of the ground claiming for some reason the amount of years you've had a season ticket somehow makes your opinion more important. Why don't they get stick? I couldn't give a fuck if you've had a season ticket since St James' was built, tbh.

I'm delighted to hear a more people were standing, hopefully it continues to grow over the following seasons. Nobody is to blame other than the cunts that shut off L7, while I sympathise with those who are forced to stand against their will this only makes it evident how much a standing section is required. Plus if you're forced to stand then that means you're in the minority of people wanting to sit in that section, there's still 50,000 or so seats you could move to if you can't cope with standing, god forbid, at a football match.

Why should people have to move though?

:thup:

I must admit though it does show of Ashley's incompetence. Level 7 movers who have been shifted twice now wanted to move to an area that wouldn't affect those that wanted to sit during the game. I'm glad I picked a seat in the back row so I don't upset people.

Had two utter spastics sat next to me yesterday in the Gallowgate. Hoping that it's not a permanent thing, as they were utterly clueless.

Me and Set had some chivvy teens in front of us yesterday, one of them was screaming songs out like a fucking idiot. I honestly didn't know if he was just attention seeking or if he was special. The lass next to him who came with someone else didn't look to impressed and they wouldn't sit the fuck down. Thank god they fucked off to somewhere else in the ground about a minute into the game.

Why should people have to move though?

Of course they shouldn't, but on the other hand it's not as if they're the only ones, considering everyone over 18 from the LC had to move. In fact I can say without any doubt that more people will have had to move from L7 than those who'd have to move away from the corner so they can sit, of course it's unfair but where's the outcry for those in L7?

It's shit as fuck, I've been at away games and felt like a cunt standing infront of older people but that's the nature of the game. Nobody should have to move but obviously we can't all have our way. It's not as if people who want to stand have an option to move elsewhere, and it's not as if they didn't try (see level 4 fiasco). I know it's against regulations so it's easy to dismiss my argument saying they shouldn't be standing in the first place, but look at any stadium in the world and you'll see that a good atmosphere goes hand in hand with standing. Not only that but people want to stand and their opinion should be just as valid as anyone elses.

I thought it started brilliantly, probably the loudest the Gallowgate and nearby areas has been in long time, then it turned shite and died down.

I think potentially we might have a proper home end for a change, at least in bigger games.

I love the irony of the fact people on here claim the level 7 lot think they're better than everyone, yet we have people from other parts of the ground claiming for some reason the amount of years you've had a season ticket somehow makes your opinion more important. Why don't they get stick? I couldn't give a f*** if you've had a season ticket since St James' was built, tbh.

I'm delighted to hear a more people were standing, hopefully it continues to grow over the following seasons. Nobody is to blame other than the c***s that shut off L7, while I sympathise with those who are forced to stand against their will this only makes it evident how much a standing section is required. Plus if you're forced to stand then that means you're in the minority of people wanting to sit in that section, there's still 50,000 or so seats you could move to if you can't cope with standing, god forbid, at a football match.

It doesn't make their opinion more valid in a soopafan way, but you can understand when they've been sitting in that seat for years and then a bunch of transferers from Level 7 come (against their will I know) and stand infront of them. I'd be pretty pissed too.

I've nothing against people standing if the entire rows behind them are standing too. But it's not right to do it when there are people behind you wanting to sit down.

I don't mind standing up for chants etc, but standing there just watching isn't for me and I can't stand people who do it in front of people, either forcing them up or blocking their view. I also hate those people who want to be first in the queue for stuff at half time or first on the Metro/bus or too their cars and stand near the exits but block people's views.

I've yet to see a a real argument safety wise for terracing and they do it in Germany isn't a valid argument. Crystal Palace have wooden seats, doesn't mean to say they are very safe especially if theirs a fire.

I've yet to see a a real argument safety wise for terracing and they do it in Germany isn't a valid argument. Crystal Palace have wooden seats, doesn't mean to say they are very safe especially if theirs a fire.

You're wrong on several levels. Firstly people aren't arguing for terracing, they want safe standing (which is what they have in Germany, not terraces). The argument is overwhelmingly in favour of safe standing, it is safe, cheaper and is what people want. If you don't agree I suggest you pay attention next time you watch MOTD and see how many people stand in the premier league. We're talking about full stands as well, not just a few blocks. Not to mention most away crowds will stand all game. Search on Youtube for safe standing if you want to learn more.

You're wrong on several levels. Firstly people aren't arguing for terracing, they want safe standing (which is what they have in Germany, not terraces). The argument is overwhelmingly in favour of safe standing, it is safe, cheaper and is what people want. If you don't agree I suggest you pay attention next time you watch MOTD and see how many people stand in the premier league. We're talking about full stands as well, not just a few blocks. Not to mention most away crowds will stand all game. Search on Youtube for safe standing if you want to learn more.

So I'm supposed to look at a video on youtube thats biased in the fact that it wants to bring back safe standing made by supporters of safe standing and not actually take into account the other facts around safe standing that is ignored by these youtube videos and has not been carried out by an independent survey?

So I'm supposed to look at a video on youtube thats biased in the fact that it wants to bring back safe standing made by supporters of safe standing and not actually take into account the other facts around safe standing that is ignored by these youtube videos and has not been carried out by an independent survey?

Or you could just use common sense and realise that standing is a pretty natural thing for a human being to do, ergo we're quite good at it and the risk is minimal?

Well there's a documentary on there which I helped to make, interviewing an employee of Sunderland council who was behind cutting away allocations for fans standing, Don Foster MP, a police officer from Northumbria police and a representative from the Football Supporters Federation. None have any reason to be bias towards standing. The FSF are in favour of safe standing because it has been used in Germany for many years without any problems, they are a group that represent fans so why would they endorse something that could put fans in any danger? You can read their in depth report on safe standing here which includes their survey of fans opinions on standing.

Safe standing is safe, so are terraces infact. Over how many years of their use (still seen in league 1 and below to this day) have we seen any accidents as a direct result of them? Very little, hillsborough had nothing todo with terraces, it was fences and too many people in an area not built to hold them all. People would get crushed to death at sjp if there was way too many people inside and fences at the front of the stand, it's not a direct link to terraces/standing at all. Like I said watch the video on youtube, it's impartial and will let you make your own mind up.

Not taking the p*ss in the slightest - would Mavis like to swap seats with one of the front row standers in her section? No big deal for either surely.

Yep. If it was that much of a problem i'm sure those affected or the club could sort out seat swaps.

Most stands these days are too steep for standing as they have been made for seating. Level 7 is a good example of that. Maybe newer stadiums where the stands arn't so steep or lower level stands can be used for standing but not in most stadiums. The oly true way to have safe standing would be on a none steep stand with rows like they use for seating where it one person on each row then a full length stand stopping people from going into the row below. With that in mind I can't see how it's cheaper than seats as all your doing is replacing the seats with a safety fence. That's probably a good solution for stadiums that don't have steep stands like Wembley.

Anyway people moan and groan about standing on a Metro or bus, standing around in crowds when they come out of a match, honestly I think it's more of a case of because people have been told that they can't stand is the very reason why they want to stand. If safe standing is implemented then I would say once the novelty has worn off most people wouldn't want it.

Guest jrtoonarmy

the bottom line is every fan should have the choice to stand or sit with like minded supporters the fact that the club have now took that choice away is shocking. there is a load of us from level 7 now in the south east corner and we won't be sitting down, sorry if thats going to upset people but the club have give us no choice!

Most stands these days are too steep for standing as they have been made for seating. Level 7 is a good example of that. Maybe newer stadiums where the stands arn't so steep or lower level stands can be used for standing but not in most stadiums. The oly true way to have safe standing would be on a none steep stand with rows like they use for seating where it one person on each row then a full length stand stopping people from going into the row below. With that in mind I can't see how it's cheaper than seats as all your doing is replacing the seats with a safety fence. That's probably a good solution for stadiums that don't have steep stands like Wembley.

Anyway people moan and groan about standing on a Metro or bus, standing around in crowds when they come out of a match, honestly I think it's more of a case of because people have been told that they can't stand is the very reason why they want to stand. If safe standing is implemented then I would say once the novelty has worn off most people wouldn't want it.

What? :lol: you think the only reason people want to stand at football matches is because they're not allowed too?

Instead of coming up with so many ideas yourself why don't you actually look into the issue. Then you'd see that a few of the things you said are indeed correct and mentioned within the links I've provided. They'd be cheaper as they'd fit more people into an area since they're stood, as showcased here, a section of 4 seats would allow 8 people to stand:

DSCF0119.JPG

DSCF0102.JPG

You can find out more about the source of these pictures from here http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/home

If so then why are safe standing sections always packed in Germany? Why do people still stand on terraces in the lower leagues when they have the option to sit? Sorry mate but what you've just said is complete shite. Comparing standing on a metro to standing and singing at a football match ffs, give over.