L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

At the end of the day though, those players were cheap/free, irregardless of what we could have paid.

We made a 30m profit in Jan (if you include HBA purchase) and we've been sat with a wad to spend for 8 months. What do we do? Make another profit in the summer. The money is there to spend and we have holes to fix, which we've known about for 8 months. What have they done? Bot all.

If we lose to them on Saturday there are NO excuses.

The bottom line is very true. If we go down there and lose, having dismantled a half decent team over the last twelve months and bought cheap unproven replacements then there will be absolutely no hiding place for the management. I include Pardew in that; if we lose he'll be all out of spin and bullshine.

While I'm equally disgruntled about the lack of investment that's a ridiculous statement. No signing would gurantee a win on Saturday.

A defeat would be the culmination of a shambolic last 6 months off the field with the Crown Jewels sold off. We've known what we needed for this season all summer yet failed to address key areas whilst strengthening in areas that arguably weren't pressing concerns. They will be no excuses and as I've said before, for a lot of supporters, a defeat and Pardew will struggle to ever win them back onside.

I don't see how the two issues are related. I've written many a time about the investment, or lack of it. Equally it's disgraceful we look like we're going to be left backless for the derby. However, while further investment would increase our chances in any match, to assign a particular defeat to players we haven't bought is silly. What if we'd of invested the Carroll money and lost anyway?

It's like us winning and me turning round and saying: 'oh we beat the mackems we don't need to invest any more this summer'

At the end of the day though, those players were cheap/free, irregardless of what we could have paid.

We made a 30m profit in Jan (if you include HBA purchase) and we've been sat with a wad to spend for 8 months. What do we do? Make another profit in the summer. The money is there to spend and we have holes to fix, which we've known about for 8 months. What have they done? Bot all.

The bottom line is very true. If we go down there and lose, having dismantled a half decent team over the last twelve months and bought cheap unproven replacements then there will be absolutely no hiding place for the management. I include Pardew in that; if we lose he'll be all out of spin and bullshine.

While I'm equally disgruntled about the lack of investment that's a ridiculous statement. No signing would gurantee a win on Saturday.

A defeat would be the culmination of a shambolic last 6 months off the field with the Crown Jewels sold off. We've known what we needed for this season all summer yet failed to address key areas whilst strengthening in areas that arguably weren't pressing concerns. They will be no excuses and as I've said before, for a lot of supporters, a defeat and Pardew will struggle to ever win them back onside.

I don't see how the two issues are related. I've written many a time about the investment, or lack of it. Equally it's disgraceful we look like we're going to be left backless for the derby. However, while further investment would increase our chances in any match, to assign a particular defeat to players we haven't bought is silly. What if we'd of invested the Carroll money and lost anyway?

It's like us winning and me turning round and saying: 'oh we beat the mackems we don't need to invest any more this summer'

Put it this way: do you think losing to our fierce rivals would go down well with an already disgruntled fan base (for massive earlier mistakes and a lack of transfer activity in more recent times)?

Put it this way: do you think losing to our fierce rivals would go down well with an already disgruntled fan base (for massive earlier mistakes and a lack of transfer activity in more recent times)?

Of course not, it wouldn't regardless.

Guest BooBoo

I just sense a lot of disillusionment bubbling up and there'll be an almighty backlash if we lose. Its not just any other game.

If we had invested the Carroll money and we lose then at least we could say we tried, any team can lose any game but considering we had the money but decided not to spend even a small amount of it, is a disgrace. As it stands, we've barely made an effort to push NUFC forward, choosing instead to replace reliable players with cheap imports.

Whether we sign a striker or not in time for this game we'll still have a competitive enough team to give them a game.

Whether we sign a LB or not in time for this game we'll still have a competitive enough team to give them a game.

Every time someone reads this forum they must go away wanting to hang themselves with the negativity that is constantly spouted. If its not one thing its another.....

The stark reality is that we are run by people who don't give a fuck about NUFC, its not as if we didn't know this judging from their past fuck ups, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we haven't signed the two players that we need.

Instead of constantly looking at the glass half empty lets accept the situation that this club is in and put all our efforts into supporting the team that steps out onto the field rather than putting all our efforts into complaining about players who aren't even part of this great club. The constant doom and gloom doesn't help anyone.

We are stuck with these muppets for a long time yet, no complaints, no protests will shift them. But what will help the group of players is showing the team (not Pardew or Ashley) how much we are behind them and showing the country that we really are the best fans in the world.

Guest BooBoo

Whether we sign a striker or not in time for this game we'll still have a competitive enough team to give them a game.

Whether we sign a LB or not in time for this game we'll still have a competitive enough team to give them a game.

Every time someone reads this forum they must go away wanting to hang themselves with the negativity that is constantly spouted. If its not one thing its another.....

The stark reality is that we are run by people who don't give a fuck about NUFC, its not as if we didn't know this judging from their past fuck ups, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we haven't signed the two players that we need.

Instead of constantly looking at the glass half empty lets accept the situation that this club is in and put all our efforts into supporting the team that steps out onto the field rather than putting all our efforts into complaining about players who aren't even part of this great club. The constant doom and gloom doesn't help anyone.

We are stuck with these muppets for a long time yet, no complaints, no protests will shift them. But what will help the group of players is showing the team (not Pardew or Ashley) how much we are behind them and showing the country that we really are the best fans in the world.

:facepalm:

The stark reality is that we are run by people who don't give a f*** about NUFC, its not as if we didn't know this judging from their past f*** ups, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we haven't signed the two players that we need.

:facepalm:

Hahaha lets face it there is nothing we can do as fans that will change it. So we have two choices..... stop supporting the team or continue to back the team through this dark period.

Unless you have the money to buy the fat man out then unfortunately we have to accept the situation..... that is a fact.

Squad strength remains light in my opinion, we've merely replaced players who've left (with the exception of marveaux) and still have a squad that's light in quality. Our squad in general is 70% average to rubbish, let's not forget. I still don't think the argument of "we could've paid £20m and you wouldn't be complaining" really washes, because we didn't spend it therefore I am complaining

I mean in terms of who we've signed. Would you be complaining had it been, for example...

Cabaye - £7m, Ba - £7.5m - Marveaux - £5m

without any Freebies?

I don't think they're unreasonable valuations either.

At this point hypothetical valuations mean nothing, if these guys start producing on the pitch no one will mind that they cost relative peanuts. The truth is only Obertan excelled against Arsenal and looked the part. Cabaye was tidy at best, Marveaux is still absent and Ba was taken off and may well not even start against Sunderland. Until we get these guys on the pitch putting in match winning performances there will be disappointment at the transfer dealings so far. That isn't to say these aren't good players but we'll need to see it against Sunderland to get everyone on board.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think the crux of the debate relating to the Mackem game is that if we lose on Saturday it may effectively be (cliche time) the straw that breaks the camel's back ie. all Newcastle fans will en masse realise the absolute sh!tstorm we're involved in and that the lack of investment has led to us being turned over by those horrors down the road. As others have mentioned, I could handle losing against them if we'd shown some ambition and had assembled what looked like a decent squad with an eye on progression. Instead we're just plugging gaps not pushing for the top-10. It'd all be fine if we were Everton and we had NO MONEY, but we're not, we're Newcastle and we've got a net transfer spend since January of approximately minus £35m not taking into consideration signing-on fees, or the transfer budget we would've had ANYWAY due to TV money etc.

If we win on Saturday - great, I'll still be upset about our current predicament but pleased to have beaten the mackems

Lose on Saturday - I hope we all realise we're in for a difficult season

Guest BooBoo

I think the crux of the debate relating to the Mackem game is that if we lose on Saturday it may effectively be (cliche time) the straw that breaks the camel's back ie. all Newcastle fans will en masse realise the absolute sh!tstorm we're involved in and that the lack of investment has led to us being turned over by those horrors down the road. As others have mentioned, I could handle losing against them if we'd shown some ambition and had assembled what looked like a decent squad with an eye on progression. Instead we're just plugging gaps not pushing for the top-10. It'd all be fine if we were Everton and we had NO MONEY, but we're not, we're Newcastle and we've got a net transfer spend since January of approximately minus £35m not taking into consideration signing-on fees, or the transfer budget we would've had ANYWAY due to TV money etc.

If we win on Saturday - great, I'll still be upset about our current predicament but pleased to have beaten the mackems

:clap: Spot on.

Do elaborate

You mean the Sunderland team that finished above us last season and just drew Liverpool at Anfield? They are a pretty decent football side. We might lose. It shouldn't change the opinion of any sane person.

Are they fuck.

Guest BooBoo

I've said it for a while but a combination of defeat at Sunderland and failing to sign the two quality players we need in the next few weeks will mean a relegation battle as the fans and players will be demoralised. Any lingering trust that Pardew could possibly do a good job would evaporate.

You mean the Sunderland team that finished above us last season and just drew Liverpool at Anfield? They are a pretty decent football side. We might lose. It shouldn't change the opinion of any sane person.

Aye, load of bollocks that like

I've said it for a while but a combination of defeat at Sunderland and failing to sign the two quality players we need in the next few weeks will mean a relegation battle as the fans and players will be demoralised. Any lingering trust that Pardew could possibly do a good job would evaporate.

Agreed and have said the same thing.

The next two weeks will dictate the season for me.

This on the other hand is very close to the bone