L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Why though?

Pardew/Carr or whoever would have had it in their minds the squad they want in September back at the start of the summer, of course there's other areas need improved but do you risk unsettling the squad and  his plans completely for the sake of spending that £20m just because "it's there"?

is this really happening O-N?  i mean are you trying to suggest that pardew, let alone any other manager in the world, wouldn't have at least one more area strengthen given 20m to do it with?

I think it's clear we'll have signed two new strikers by the end of the window, we'll have signed a creative midfielder, two new wide-men, and a new left-back. I don't like wholesale changes. We could easily sign a new right-back or centre-back with that cash of course, but I don't like the idea of starting a new season with 6-7 brand new players trying to gel. I'd be happy with this window adding the striker and left-back, then when the squad is blended again, then add your right-back, centre-back, etc.

Why though?

Pardew/Carr or whoever would have had it in their minds the squad they want in September back at the start of the summer, of course there's other areas need improved but do you risk unsettling the squad and  his plans completely for the sake of spending that £20m just because "it's there"?

is this really happening O-N?  i mean are you trying to suggest that pardew, let alone any other manager in the world, wouldn't have at least one more area strengthen given 20m to do it with?

I think it's clear we'll have signed two new strikers by the end of the window, we'll have signed a creative midfielder, two new wide-men, and a new left-back.

It's far from clear tbh.

Why though?

Pardew/Carr or whoever would have had it in their minds the squad they want in September back at the start of the summer, of course there's other areas need improved but do you risk unsettling the squad and  his plans completely for the sake of spending that £20m just because "it's there"?

is this really happening O-N?  i mean are you trying to suggest that pardew, let alone any other manager in the world, wouldn't have at least one more area strengthen given 20m to do it with?

I think it's clear we'll have signed two new strikers by the end of the window, we'll have signed a creative midfielder, two new wide-men, and a new left-back. I don't like wholesale changes. We could easily sign a new right-back or centre-back with that cash of course, but I don't like the idea of starting a new season with 6-7 brand new players trying to gel. I'd be happy with this window adding the striker and left-back, then when the squad is blended again, then add your right-back, centre-back, etc.

ah i see what you're saying now, but adding those players will end up costing us 15m?  ashley is not going to spend that man, he's just not

you might get one and a loan in if you're lucky

Guest BooBoo

So you don't think we'll have another striker and left-back in the next two weeks?

I'm not convinced.

And I think we'll sell another first teamer too.

So you don't think we'll have another striker and left-back in the next two weeks?

if i was putting money it on it right now i'd say no personally

as i just said, maybe we buy one loan one or something but mike ain't spending that kind of cash until he sells another asset or two imo

I very much doubt we will tbh, based on the summer so far and previous transfer windows with these clowns in charge (remember last January, when we were looking for a striker to compliment Carroll..?) Besides, it is not about signing A left back and A striker... We have lost arguably our two best players overall in these positions in the last 6 months. Their replacements better be damn good..

Guest BooBoo

Incredible really that we lost Carroll in January and have needed a replacement all summer plus we also have known that Jose was on his way too.

We STILL don't have replacements. We play our biggest away game of the season on Saturday. The transfer window shuts in a fortnight and yet people are STILL making excuses and even worse, clinging pitifully to the "there's still time" excuse. :lol:

Incredible really that we lost Carroll in January and have needed a replacement all summer plus we also have known that Jose was on his way too.

We STILL don't have replacements. We play our biggest away game of the season on Saturday. The transfer window shuts in a fortnight and yet people are STILL making excuses and even worse, clinging pitifully to the "there's still time" excuse. :lol:

QFT

I very much doubt we will tbh, based on the summer so far and previous transfer windows with these clowns in charge (remember last January, when we were looking for a striker to compliment Carroll..?) Besides, it is not about signing A left back and A striker... We have lost arguably our two best players overall in these positions in the last 6 months. Their replacements better be damn good..

Arguably?

Unquestionably, more like.

Arguably?

Unquestionably our best two players overall? Get a grip.

At the end of the day though, those players were cheap/free, irregardless of what we could have paid.

We made a 30m profit in Jan (if you include HBA purchase) and we've been sat with a wad to spend for 8 months. What do we do? Make another profit in the summer. The money is there to spend and we have holes to fix, which we've known about for 8 months. What have they done? Bot all.

If we lose to them on Saturday there are NO excuses.

Guest BooBoo

At the end of the day though, those players were cheap/free, irregardless of what we could have paid.

We made a 30m profit in Jan (if you include HBA purchase) and we've been sat with a wad to spend for 8 months. What do we do? Make another profit in the summer. The money is there to spend and we have holes to fix, which we've known about for 8 months. What have they done? Bot all.

The bottom line is very true. If we go down there and lose, having dismantled a half decent team over the last twelve months and bought cheap unproven replacements then there will be absolutely no hiding place for the management. I include Pardew in that; if we lose he'll be all out of spin and bullshine.

Arguably?

Unquestionably our best two players overall? Get a grip.

...in these positions...

yes, unquestionably.

And, arguably, our best players and most valuable assets.

The bottom line is very true. If we go down there and lose, having dismantled a half decent team over the last twelve months and bought cheap unproven replacements then there will be absolutely no hiding place for the management. I include Pardew in that; if we lose he'll be all out of spin and bullshine.

While I'm equally disgruntled about the lack of investment that's a ridiculous statement. No signing would gurantee a win on Saturday.

Guest BooBoo

While I'm equally disgruntled about the lack of investment that's a ridiculous statement. No signing would gurantee a win on Saturday.

A defeat would be the culmination of a shambolic last 6 months off the field with the Crown Jewels sold off. We've known what we needed for this season all summer yet failed to address key areas whilst strengthening in areas that arguably weren't pressing concerns. They will be no excuses and as I've said before, for a lot of supporters, a defeat and Pardew will struggle to ever win them back onside.

What happens if we win by the way?

Party, dance, sing, get mortal, sober up and then get back round to wondering why we still haven't bought a single LB (bearing in mind we needed 2) and ST and question where the money is going?