L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think the crux of the debate relating to the Mackem game is that if we lose on Saturday it may effectively be (cliche time) the straw that breaks the camel's back ie. all Newcastle fans will en masse realise the absolute sh!tstorm we're involved in and that the lack of investment has led to us being turned over by those horrors down the road. As others have mentioned, I could handle losing against them if we'd shown some ambition and had assembled what looked like a decent squad with an eye on progression. Instead we're just plugging gaps not pushing for the top-10. It'd all be fine if we were Everton and we had NO MONEY, but we're not, we're Newcastle and we've got a net transfer spend since January of approximately minus £35m not taking into consideration signing-on fees, or the transfer budget we would've had ANYWAY due to TV money etc.

If we win on Saturday - great, I'll still be upset about our current predicament but pleased to have beaten the mackems

Lose on Saturday - I hope we all realise we're in for a difficult season

Do elaborate

We finished in the bottom half last season, and I don't think our squad is dramatically better than it was in May. Finishing in the bottom-half would indicate a difficult season.

No doubt we'll reach December and be told we'll buy in January. We'll be linked to some good players, then buy Ryan Taylor etc etc

I want to be proved wrong desperately, and as mentioned before I was full of optimism at the start of the window at the prospect of a Summer of positivity and the investment of the Carroll and Nolan money, but alas it hasn't happened and I'm gutted.

Don't see any reason to expect we won't finish around 15th, and two or three injuries - particularly in defence - would kill us

You mean the Sunderland team that finished above us last season and just drew Liverpool at Anfield? They are a pretty decent football side. We might lose. It shouldn't change the opinion of any sane person.

Aye, load of bollocks that like

If we lost an away match to Stoke, WBA, or Villa (Similar sides to Sunderland) it would not be an indictment of the lack of investment in the squad. It would just be a difficult football match that we happened to lose. I understand the emotional attachment to the derby, but this isn't Derby in 2007. The majority of the teams in the league would look at this as a difficult fixture, especially given the time of season and the amount of player turnover we experienced in the summer. We achieved a good result last wekk, and hopefully we can build on that. It shouldn't be a fatal blow if we cannot.

Guest BooBoo

What does any of that have to do with the game on Saturday?

You cant underestimate how a derby defeat could send the club and fans into the doldrums.

I've said it for a while but a combination of defeat at Sunderland and failing to sign the two quality players we need in the next few weeks will mean a relegation battle as the fans and players will be demoralised. Any lingering trust that Pardew could possibly do a good job would evaporate.

If we don't sign those two players I would agree, but I do expect us to sign them. The problem is the mackem game has come right at the beginning of the season before the transfer window closes so we aren't in the best position to be wheeler dealing. That said, I still think we could set out a team to beat the inbreds but for that to happen Pardew needs to make the best use of his assets. Last weeks game despite a decent result didn't really look like a team with a great plan.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Its against our local rivals, and everybody gets very upset when we lose against them OBVIOUSLY and our manager is on thin ice already with regard to fan-pressure and general opinion, so the atmosphere may change dramatically very quickly.

We're always optimistic at the start of the season, but a loss against the mackems this early is very different to losing to them in October once we've played 10 games and have some points on the board. All optimism may disappear in 5 days, and may be gone completely if we don't sign some reinforcements before the end of the window

Its against our local rivals, and everybody gets very upset when we lose against them OBVIOUSLY and our manager is on thin ice already with regard to fan-pressure and general opinion, so the atmosphere may change dramatically very quickly.

We're always optimistic at the start of the season, but a loss against the mackems this early is very different to losing to them in October once we've played 10 games and have some points on the board. All optimism may disappear in 5 days, and may be gone completely if we don't sign some reinforcements before the end of the window

Fair enough

Glad we've finally worked our way down the french goalscoring charts to find someone who'll come before it got to Lilian Laslandes.

Guest Roger Kint

Glad we've finally worked our way down the french goalscoring charts to find someone who'll come before it got to Lilian Laslandes.

Only NUFC could go down the charts to a bloke with double the goals our last target got......

Only NUFC could go down the charts to a bloke with double the goals our last target got......

erding scored 7.5 goals? :lol:

Guest Chubby Jason

I can only assume they're pulling out all the stops to get this deal finished before the derby. Surely they must be. Surely?

That's what Pards said so it must be so.

Weak.

Weak.

Weak response to a weak post to be fair.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pardew said: "Everybody knows we need a left-back and it's being made difficult, not by us, but by other clubs and we have to get over that.

"It could be that something gets done before the game, but I don't think I would include him even if it did because this game is a game you need to know about and you need to be prepared for."

Striker

The Toon are also struggling to acquire a striker. One of their targets, Sochaux frontman Maiga, is currently on strike to unlock a move away from his club.

Pardew said: "There's a lot of stuff coming out about him being on strike and we can't condone that.

"But in terms of us, we have put a bid in for the player and he is a player that we want to bring to the club.

"That's where that is and negotiations are still ongoing."

Title change

Pardew has admitted we have bid!