L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

concerned about willingness to openly talk about the move personally, while I like he wants to join us I don't like players openly talking about moving to another club while under contract, disrespectful imho

Yeah this is a concern, doubt he'll be long term signing if he is coming, and if he is good. Doesn't mean not worth it anyway.

Sounds like it's all but tied up which is good news obviously. :)

Still concerned that we've not got the cover in defence though. Need a a CB and someone who could play CB or FB. Get those 2 in and we're laughing.

This move sounds like it's been sorted for some time, and as for not completing it in the summer - it simply seems like a case of squabbling over a fee leading it not to get done in time. With hindsight, that's probably worked out for the best because we've not had any dying need for another striker, and his price will probably drop come January due to his contractual issues and a burning desire to get away.

However, i'm cautious about pursuing other major targets in January, simply because of the inflation that occurs (aside from being opportunist around expiring contracts, like in the case of Maiga).

I'd be content with a couple of loans (+ Maiga), saving our major business till the summer. You get ripped off to fuck in January, particularly in this league. We know that better than anyone.

Possibly Marveaux up top too.

Just got to think, from January until the end of the season last year we had Best, Shola, Loven, Ranger and I'm more confident of Sammy or even Vuckic offering more than Ranger.

So although natural strikers are at a premium the like of Ben Arfa, Marveaux are surely a massive upgrade on as a supporting striker to what we had last season and Ba & Maiga won't be missing the rest of the season so it will be a big push towards the closing stages.

Had a look at the schedule, seems the first game is on the 21st Jan till the final on the 12th Feb.

It looks like they'll miss 5 games max if you include QPR on the 15th of Jan dependant on when they meet up for the tournament.

We actually have a reasonably generous run in this games with currently 4 bottom half teams and then Spurs on the 11th.

Still concerned that we've not got the cover in defence though. Need a a CB and someone who could play CB or FB. Get those 2 in and we're laughing.

Definitely, I'd make a top priority for us to sign some defensive cover in January. Ridgewell sounds like he fits the profile and considering we have been linked with him in the summer and a couple of weeks ago, can honestly see us going for him again.

A few people have mentioned Pieters but don't think we'll sign him really. He would be an ideal signing considering he can play CB and LB but as it stands, don't think he'll even be first choice in the team so signing him would be somewhat pointless atm (unless Simpson and Raylor have a massive drop of form).

Also got to factor in what players over teams lose, we have two don't we (not including Maiga if he signs)? Yeah they are pretty important but we can cope for 5 or so games then we have Maiga (as above), Best, Ba and Ben Arfa as a front 4 to select from :megusta:

Definitely, I'd make a top priority for us to sign some defensive cover in January. Ridgewell sounds like he fits the profile and considering we have been linked with him in the summer and a couple of weeks ago, can honestly see us going for him again.

A few people have mentioned Pieters but don't think we'll sign him really. He would be an ideal signing considering he can play CB and LB but as it stands, don't think he'll even be first choice in the team so signing him would be somewhat pointless atm (unless Simpson and Raylor have a massive drop of form).

Aye, getting Maiga is great as he sounds like he'll be a really good addition and bulk us out a bit up top but that's not really the priority as it stands. We have no cover at all at CB at the minute. Williamson is out and if anything happens to Coloccini it doesn't bear thinking about. The thought of going into a run of fixtures with Perch is frightening.

Guest bimpy474

Sunday Sun reckons we aren't in for Ridgewell anymore, fwiw ;)

For me CB cover is most important right now, followed by forward. Another fullback (either side considering Santon can play both) would be nice too. After that it's just squad strengthening, and actually buying more midfielders would be harsh on players hoping to break through, unless a bargain or an amazing player is available, or tiote leaves, I wouldn't want to buy any more midfield players who weren't expecting to just be cover. 

I'd welcome Maiga now, much less than start of season though, where I was optimistic about Ba but not about Best really...so welcome, not impressed by his attitude to moving, let's hope it's symptomatic of being in french league rather than just goign to agitate to move to a 'bigger' club once here if doing well. Still even if for less time than hoped for absolutely welcome.

Aye, getting Maiga is great as he sounds like he'll be a really good addition and bulk us out a bit up top but that's not really the priority as it stands. We have no cover at all at CB at the minute. Williamson is out and if anything happens to Coloccini it doesn't bear thinking about. The thought of going into a run of fixtures with Perch is frightening.

:sadnod:

I know he seems like a lost cause but I'm a bit annoyed with how much Kadar is out in the cold. He's still playing for Hungary at U21 level as well as captaining our reserves . Big difference between that and the Premier League of course but surely he's worthy of a squad number and a similar role to that Perch is doing? Our lack of ANYTHING in reserve at the back is really alarming in all honesty.

Guest bimpy474

Change of stadium name must have sealed the deal  :shifty:

Imagine if/when he signs and in that first interview says 'I can't wait to play at the Sports Direct Arena.'. :embarrassed:

He wont say that, come on...he'll say i cant wait to play in front of those brilliant fans.

I know he seems like a lost cause but I'm a bit annoyed with how much Kadar is out in the cold. He's still playing for Hungary at U21 level as well as captaining our reserves . Big difference between that and the Premier League of course but surely he's worthy of a squad number and a similar role to that Perch is doing? Our lack of ANYTHING in reserve at the back is really alarming in all honesty.

Bit of a strange one as Pardew seems very positive regarding the youth players, even if it's just getting them out on loan he seems to want to help them progress as much as they can. Bringing on Sammy ahead of HBA is another example.

Aye, it's a bit s**** that Kadar isn't getting a look in. He did mention about a week ago that these days he's feeling fine fitness-wise and that he's put his injury from last year behind him. So if he performs well in the reserves, don't see why he shouldn't be promoted to the first team. He looked more than competent when called upon in the Championship.

I know it's not ideal and wouldn't choose to see it but could Santon fill in at CB in an absolute emergency? I know he's a FB who could play on either side but if we're absolutely desperate could he do job there for a game or two if need be? Seen very little of him.