L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

I know it's not ideal and wouldn't choose to see it but could Santon fill in at CB in an absolute emergency? I know he's a FB who could play on either side but if we're absolutely desperate could he do job there for a game or two if need be? Seen very little of him.

He is a tall lad so on that basis Santon > Perch.

Infact if he was 4ft 8, Santon > Perch.

Guest Heneage

I know it's not ideal and wouldn't choose to see it but could Santon fill in at CB in an absolute emergency? I know he's a FB who could play on either side but if we're absolutely desperate could he do job there for a game or two if need be? Seen very little of him.

Short answer no.

He is a tall lad so on that basis Santon > Perch.

Infact if he was 4ft 8, Santon > Perch.

That was my thinking. How shit does he need to be to be a worse option than James fucking Perch? I understand it's not his position but if he's a big(ish) lad and can play a bit but have enough defensive nous to hold a line like he needs to do at FB then he's got to be playing ahead of Perch or moving Simpson to CB and letting Santon play at RB?

Short answer no.

I'll rephrase it: Would he be worse than Perch?

He seriously couldn't be worse than Perch. Perch at Blackburn was obscene, every header went sideways or backwards (and not in a way that was beneficial). Rather bizarrely he didn't look that bad in possession but defensively when the slightest bit of pressure built up he was a liability. Going from the best defence in the league to 4 goals against Blackburn tells you all you need to know. I dread to think if we had to play him there in a league game against a good side.

I agree with the rest that a CB cover is needed desperately, preferably a ball playing one so if Coloccini were to miss some games we could still have someone to bring the ball out from the back.

I would want a fullback, back up CB to go along with Maiga and that would please me a great deal.

Guest Heneage

Short answer no.

I'll rephrase it: Would he be worse than Perch?

Err, difficult really. His whole stance and style is that of a fullback, I'd probably feel a little bit more comfortable playing Perch as he speaks English etc. It would be a gamble but possibly he might be better than Perch.

Maiga, Ba, Best, HBA, Ameobi .... Are people happy with this striker force to progress as a team?. We will obviously have to wait and see how Maiga adapts to the English Premier League, but he appears to be of the strong and pacy type favouring wider positions. Each striker has sufficient pace, Ba has the finishing, Best has the hold up play, Ameobi has the unpredictability, HBA has the silky skills. It seems we have all attributes covered.

Guest cabaye_man

Are you happy?

Id be happier if you didnt feel the need to  make snide remarks on any post i ever make.

How was that snide?

To be fair Stu. Im new to this board and have been observing threads for a couple of weeks. You do appear to be snide, when put into the context of your past posts. Ive noticed you have been discriminatory toward some of the Australians on the forum. This is not on. Grow up and grow some balls.

Are you happy?

Id be happier if you didnt feel the need to  make snide remarks on any post i ever make.

How was that snide?

To be fair Stu. Im new to this board and have been observing threads for a couple of weeks. You do appear to be snide, when put into the context of your past posts. Ive noticed you have been discriminatory toward some of the Australians on the forum. This is not on. Grow up and grow some balls.

Well said :)

Are you happy?

How was that snide?

:lol: quite right and all

i read Stu's post backwards, i.e. the "you happy" bit first and initially thought it was snide but when you look at what he's responding to it's not snide at all man, he's just being his usual troll self as surely this suggests the lad is happy enough: "Each striker has sufficient pace, Ba has the finishing, Best has the hold up play, Ameobi has the unpredictability, HBA has the silky skills. It seems we have all attributes covered."

touchy touchy

Are you happy?

How was that snide?

:lol: quite right and all

i read Stu's post backwards, i.e. the "you happy" bit first and initially thought it was snide but when you look at what he's responding to it's not snide at all man, he's just being his usual troll self as surely this suggests the lad is happy enough: "Each striker has sufficient pace, Ba has the finishing, Best has the hold up play, Ameobi has the unpredictability, HBA has the silky skills. It seems we have all attributes covered."

touchy touchy

Stu is a massive troll gets me every time. I love it when he gets me.

Are you happy?

How was that snide?

Ooh, which are these other Australians that I've been 'discriminatory' towards? :lol:

As you're telling me to 'grow up and grow some balls', I trust you can justify your outburst with some links? Otherwise, this is not on.