Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Lets not downplay what was an excellent performance.  Still hate the cunt but he played well, some really good saves.  Most saves are pretty basic in action, all about anticipating where the well will go and reacting quickly, which he did.

Give the fucker a steak bake for the save at the near post :thup:

Don't get the love for him today.  I would expect any keeper to save the shots he did.

All pretty much at him.

Nah, the Gosling save was really good, it's not just a simple spread of the body, there's a little movement towards the ball with his leg. The thunderbastard that he tipped over was a good save as was recovering from Mbemba's fuck up.

Don't get the love for him today.  I would expect any keeper to save the shots he did.

All pretty much at him.

Nah, the Gosling save was really good, it's not just a simple spread of the body, there's a little movement towards the ball with his leg. The thunderbastard that he tipped over was a good save as was recovering from Mbemba's fuck up.

Also that diving catch of the weird high cross that got caught by the wind. You could tell he pulled that shit out of his ass but it was a nifty NFL catch and the striker was there to pounce if he had let it bounce. Thought that was one of his more key plays just based on how weird the situation was and how unusual that type of catch is in soccer. Mostly routine saves but you still have to make them, thought he's done very well in this game and against Stoke really. Maybe becoming third choice has fired him up a bit.

All pretty much at him.

Also that diving catch of the weird high cross that got caught by the wind. You could tell he pulled that shit out of his ass but it was a nifty NFL catch and the striker was there to pounce if he had let it bounce. Thought that was one of his more key plays just based on how weird the situation was and how unusual that type of catch is in soccer. Mostly routine saves but you still have to make them, thought he's done very well in this game and against Stoke really. Maybe becoming third choice has fired him up a bit.

:thup:

Can't believe they only had 5 shots on target?!  They absolutely battered us for the first 60-70 minutes and it seemed like a lot more..  I think he made 2-3 great saves and some fairly routine ones.  But on the whole, his punching and decision making was good.  I also agree with Miercoles.  That strange, looping cross that hung in the air for ages, could have been embarrassing for him.  But he dealt with it well. 

Don't like him or rate him.  But he was class on Saturday. 

the fact he's fat and crap mostly, then the nightclub story.

He doesn't look all that fat any more. And on Saturday he certainly wasn't crap.

It looks like he's been working hard. This is a big opportunity in his career.

• 4 weeks later...

Ideally we would say he's injured so we can get an emergency loan in, but I don't think he's been that bad overall. Much better distributor of the ball than Krul.

I always used to think this, but if he is, it's marginal.  He kept booting it too straight and it would just harmlessly go through to Mignolet.  His throws were pretty impressive though! 

I see we still employ the long free kick routine, that Pardew used to love.  Anything in our half and you can guarantee Elliot is launching it long.  So depressing to watch and this was when I seemed to notice that his kicking didn't look much better than Krul's.

I'm assuming he was injured again on sunday as he stopped taking the free kicks and was then throwing the ball ridiculous distances rather than kicking it which seemed the sensible option.

Darlow in nets on sunday?

The throws were actually pretty effective over to Sissoko. Similar to what Gomez was doing against us where he targeted Deeney against Colo, Elliot was just using Sissoko against Moreno.

I still have no confidence in him when he's on the team sheet but tbf to him, he's actually done fairly well since Krul's injury.

Pretty sure he's used throws instead of kicking in the past for us & Charlton. I'd say he prefers doing it if his kicks aren't working (which they weren't; generally). Don't think its injury related.

Pretty sure he's used throws instead of kicking in the past for us & Charlton. I'd say he prefers doing it if his kicks aren't working (which they weren't; generally). Don't think its injury related.

Aye but in the 2nd half he was visibly avoiding kicking and Mbemba was taking free kicks whereas in the 1st half he was taking all of the free kicks in our own half even ones on the halfway line.

I'd rather he throw.

He hit a pretty damn good diagonal kick in the first half that we lost, but I love a keeper who can throw/kick low trajectory with pace to boost counter attacks.

Still want a new GK, like.