Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Santon is probably the only one of the current starters not in top form, if he gets back to his best we'll have real threat down both flanks for the first time in absolutely ages...

No we won't because he doesn't cross with his left foot. He comes inside every time and that's why he won't be providing many assists no matter what he does anywhere else on the pitch.

Actually he did go down the outside once and get a cross in with his left today after successfully beating his man a couple of times by cutting in before.

I know what you're saying but he is actually very good in 1 on 1 situations. Has very good close control.

Starting to get tired of him cutting in all the time! Sooo easy to read! 99/100 times he cut's in. It's been so predictable for the opposition lately that this has resulted in us losing possession when not needed. I've always liked Santon and i think he's very composed on the ball and comfortable in possession in general.

His final ball and variety must improve. He's still young but imo he hasn't improved very much, if at all. Him cutting in all the time makes us lose width, and therefore the opposition defenders don't get stretched from their positions when we attack down the left.

Starting to get tired of him cutting in all the time! Sooo easy to read! 99/100 times he cut's in. It's been so predictable for the opposition lately that this has resulted in us losing possession when not needed. I've always liked Santon and i think he's very composed on the ball and comfortable in possession in general.

His final ball and variety must improve. He's still young but imo he hasn't improved very much, if at all.

Did someone get you a word of the day calendar for xmas? Todays being possession? :lol:

Merry xmas xxx :D

Couldn't give a f*** today it looked like

It did. But most of the Stoke pressure came from the left beforehand which would've given them a lot of confidence. Class finish I must say. Arguably Anita should've been back quicker to help Debuchy but overall we couldn't withstand the pressure. Williamson had a few so-so clearances.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm generally against changing the defence when we're winning, even if some players aren't performing as well as they should. Hopefully Haidara putting pressure on him will give him a bit of a kick up the arse, because he's been positionally poor for a little while now.

I think he has talent but if you're lining up against him I dont see what you would be worried about.

His attacking play is very predictable and almost never causes any serious problems. Debuchy has whipped the ball into the box in a whole variety of ways this season, Santon is always the same. He can beat his man and he actually has got a decent shot, but so far has not been able to use these attributes to make himself a serious threat.

He doesn't wind up his opponent up at all, he never puts in a big tackle. You'd know you've been in a game against Debuchy, but you can't say the same with Santon. There are also question marks about his defensive play - he is sometimes out of position, and he was beaten a few times yesterday before they had the first man sent off. I think he's someone you would look forward to playing against if you were an opposing winger.

The attributes are there but he has played a lot of games now and has not developed -it's possible he may not have the mentality to be a top player, and it might be time to give some one else a go.