Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

His inability to use his left foot, i think he would be much more comfortable on the right.

he does use his left foot. you think maldini, lahm etc would be more comfortable on the right.

i'm not saying he is or isn't this or that just the idea of ' he's right footed so should play on the right ' is s****.

Lahm can tackle with his left, so could Maldini, Santon cant do that. He will always look to tackle with his right, which leaves him exposed and vulnerable when the man goes to the byline.... You cant use Maldini's ability as reasoning for playing him LB. 

can't really remember anyone going past santon on the outside when he hasn't been done for positioning (more naive than owt else)

Off the top of my head, downing did.

whats he doing over there, the left footed downing ?

Gotta pick you up on that. There's a huge difference between natural sided wingers and fullbacks. Fullbacks see more of the ball generally and very often right at the start of the team having possession the ability to push it up the line into space after receiving it from the centre half is really important. I mean staying in possession btw, not just a first time pass up the line.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

His inability to use his left foot, i think he would be much more comfortable on the right.

he does use his left foot. you think maldini, lahm etc would be more comfortable on the right.

i'm not saying he is or isn't this or that just the idea of ' he's right footed so should play on the right ' is s****.

Lahm can tackle with his left, so could Maldini, Santon cant do that. He will always look to tackle with his right, which leaves him exposed and vulnerable when the man goes to the byline.... You cant use Maldini's ability as reasoning for playing him LB. 

can't really remember anyone going past santon on the outside when he hasn't been done for positioning (more naive than owt else)

Playing on the right, going down santons left.....

thats my point about not judging players by what foot they are supposedly strongest on, downing is left footed. your theory would say he should be on the left also i don't remember downing doing him  time and time again or are you picking on one occasion, if you do i'll claim jose getting burned off by routledge a few times when qpr played up here in the championship season.

Downing is a winger. You cannot draw parallels. He doesn't have to defend, that logic is deeply flawed. My want  to play santon on the right, is due to defensive reasoning, not attacking. As when a player attacks  he may dictate which foot he uses, when you are defending, you do not. Downing is not forced to attack on his right foot is he.....

Guest optimistic nit

if santon plays rb who plays lb? i'd much rather play santon rb, given that he has experience playing there, than simpson or ryan taylor.

if santon plays rb who plays lb? i'd much rather play santon rb, given that he has experience playing there, than simpson or ryan taylor.

santon has more personal experience playing LB. at RB  simpson has more expreince than the other two together.

Guest optimistic nit

i felt that most of santon's problems today were due to lack of experience, not what side he was on. he kept giving the ball away under no pressure once we conceded our first goal, which is a sign of bad decision making not being played out of position.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

thats my point about not judging players by what foot they are supposedly strongest on, downing is left footed. your theory would say he should be on the left also i don't remember downing doing him  time and time again or are you picking on one occasion, if you do i'll claim jose getting burned off by routledge a few times when qpr played up here in the championship season.

Downing is a winger. You cannot draw parallels. He doesn't have to defend, that logic is deeply flawed. My want  to play santon on the right, is due to defensive reasoning, not attacking. As when a player attacks  he may dictate which foot he uses, when you are defending, you do not. Downing is not forced to attack on his right foot is he.....

did downing take him to the cleaners or are you talking about one occasion, like i say i'm citing routledge doing jose (whom we'll call the standard) a few times up here.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Santon has played left back for both inter and Italy NT. he hasn't often been played a rb that suggest he is indeed a left-back.

No it doesn't. The abilities of a player are the deciding factor in a players best position, not where managers choose to play them due to the needs of the team. As it happens we need him to play left back right now.

With regards to Madras saying he hasn't been beaten on the outside, I'd go further and say his key attribute in defending on the left is the ability to intercept passes between him and Colo with his right, that's the benefit of him being on that side.

Does it matter anyway if he's a lb or rb. I'll make peace here and just say he's both with no preference. Not as if there's a massive difference between the two positions anyway they're practicably the same. It's not like we're arguing over whether he's a striker or centre back.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

did downing take him to the cleaners or are you talking about one occasion, like i say i'm citing routledge doing jose (whom we'll call the standard) a few times up here.

The routledge enrique case is irrelevant. Thats performance related, not foot related.

No, downing didn't take him to the cleaners. But he did have the beating of him on a few occasions, where his inability to tackle with his left gave away set pieces. 

Santon has played left back for both inter and Italy NT. he hasn't often been played a rb that suggest he is indeed a left-back.

No it doesn't. The abilities of a player are the deciding factor in a players best position, not where managers choose to play them due to the needs of the team. As it happens we need him to play left back right now.

With regards to Madras saying he hasn't been beaten on the outside, I'd go further and say his key attribute in defending on the left is the ability to intercept passes between him and Colo with his right, that's the benefit of him being on that side.

Does it matter anyway if he's a lb or rb. I'll make peace here and just say he's both with no preference. Not as if there's a massive difference between the two positions anyway they're practicably the same. It's not like we're arguing over whether he's a striker or centre back.

Fair one mate, fwiw I think we're in for a treat if we bring 'another' left back in :-)

Guest optimistic nit

santon has more personal experience playing LB. at RB  simpson has more expreince than the other two together.

when i said rb i meant lb (the 2nd time)

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

The routledge enrique case is irrelevant. Thats performance related, not foot related.

No, downing didn't take him to the cleaners. But he did have the beating of him on a few occasions, where his inability to tackle with his left gave away set pieces. 

the jose bit is totally relevent, a player just does another player now and again. from what i've seen it's as likely downings movement and the pass to him got him past santon than downings footwork preying on santons 'inability' to tackle on that side.

Still looks a bit naive defending, but class going forward.  Not sure if it was on here, but I did read a piece a week or so back, where he said he was a striker as a youngster and only really started playing full back to cover injuries in the first team!  Has a bit to learn, but he is one of the most exciting prospects we've had in ages.

To join in the is he a right back or left back argument.  I would like to see us sign a left footed full back, play Santon on the right, keep R.Taylor as back up and sell Simpson if he doesn't want to sign a new deal.  I don't rate him much, but he is ok as back up I supppose and would rather we keep him.  But I can see us getting rid the way his contract talks are going, .  Especially if we end up signing a centre back that can cover one of the full back positions.

has to learn to whip in crosses with his left, and that rather quickly. We soon got two strikers ready why like their crosses to come in between keeper and defender. He can't fanny about as much as he does atm.

Out entire formation is basically about not getting crosses in. Almost all of our wide players play on their wrong foot.

has to learn to whip in crosses with his left, and that rather quickly. We soon got two strikers ready why like their crosses to come in between keeper and defender. He can't fanny about as much as he does atm.

he has to learn when he cuts in around the box to now and again give it a crack. fairly sure he could've got two or three this season had he not bottled the shot.