Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

seriously the ones that saying he didn't play badly tonight?

if santon was english and had a common name like jones , you would all be calling for him to sold.

im not saying that, i think the boy has a great future as a winger maybe even a defender later on,  but christ lets not pretend a player played well when he quite clearly did not.

had two shockers in a row and subbed twice consecutively in two games, after 45mins in both games tells you everything about this boy's form.

if santon was english and had a common name like jones , you would all be calling for him to sold.

im not saying that, i think the boy has a great future as a winger maybe even a defender later on,  but christ lets not pretend a player played well when he quite clearly did not.

had two shockers in a row and subbed twice consecutively in two games, after 45mins in both games tells you everything about this boy's form.

:facepalm:

He played badly tonight, but he's been a good player over the course of the season.

littlelunchbox is being a bit of a mong

oh really im calling it like it is ,and you don't like it?, he had two shockers in a row, thats right.

why should i pretend he had played well?

if players like raylor and shola gets lambasted for every bad touch they've had  then players like Santon should not be immune to any criticism.

I didnt say he played well. I was annoyed that people were making out perch was good. He got skinned un-necessarily a few times in that 2nd half which could have resulted in goals and the goal did come from that side.

I didnt say he played well. I was annoyed that people were making out perch was good. He got skinned un-necessarily a few times in that 2nd half which could have resulted in goals and the goal did come from that side.

perch was skinned twice in the second half, true.

santon wasn't even in position for more than ten times to even get the chance to be skinned in the first half.  and skinned he was, when he did bother to stay in position.  Dont try and use Perch to defend Santon. that doesnt work.  if a player played bad, they played bad.

A defender's basic, or should i say a footballer.s basic,  "know your position".

I'd be interested to know how many times Santon lost possession tonight. He's been criticised for venturing too far forward and probably got subbed on the back of it, but maybe he expected we'd hold the ball better when he did move up the pitch? Seemed to me Cabaye and Obertan were far worse in possession in the first half when Arsenal were putting us under real pressure.

Guest neesy111

:facepalm:

I'd be interested to know how many times Santon lost possession tonight. He's been criticised for venturing too far forward and probably got subbed on the back of it, but maybe he expected we'd hold the ball better when he did move up the pitch? Seemed to me Cabaye and Obertan were far worse in possession in the first half when Arsenal were putting us under real pressure.

the facts are when got a player of walcott's pace and his team has the momentum and is also putting your defence and team under great pressure, as a defender the last thing you do is bomb forward with no regards.

Guest neesy111

Disappointingly weak in the air for a boy his size. Still look forward to seeing him on the right next season.

:pardsgrin:

the facts are when got a player of walcott's pace and his team has the momentum and is also putting your defence and team under great pressure, as a defender the last thing you do is bomb forward with no regards.

you can if you have the opportunity and other players in your team have the nouse to get into a position where the can cover that position should we lose possession.

you can if you have the opportunity and other players in your team have the nouse to get into a position where the can cover that position should we lose possession.

exactly, if

absolutely nothing wrong with defenders pushing forward, 

right moment, right time. 

Isn't that how they were putting us under pressure in the first place?

First season, young lad, likes to attack.

Not a problem, just let him play and improve.

:thup:

The lad just needs to improve his positional/defensive play. After all, he started out as an attacker/winger so defending isn't his forté yet. He'll be fine in time, just needs the right coaching.

exactly, and by bombing forward compounded the situation.

So you fear them to bomb forward yet chastise our own for having the balls to do likewise?

So you fear them to bomb forward yet chastise our own for having the balls to do likewise?

i have no idea what your getting at, read what i write.

you bomb forward when your team has the momentum.  when the opposition is under pressure. their main threat was thier midfield and widemen and  not their defence.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Terrible he went off so soon, I hope the lad doesn't get too down on himself. I mean sure you literally got beaten by a whippet who can't f***ing cross but I think he will bounce straight back.

As an aside, I'd rather have someone like Cafu or Roberto Carlos who just endlessly bombs forward than shite who is too scared to even leave the half way line.