Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Nice to have real footballers in the team such as Davide. I'm talking technique, first touch, short passing, movement. Colo & Santon could play in Stoke's central midfield.

Ben Arfa and him linked up a couple of times really nicely, nothing too impressive but they are so solid together. Can see them linking moves together in the final third quite a lot in the future

There was a moment when Tiote and Colo both went for the same ball on the edge of the box and it got tangled and broke into our box.  He just came and swept it up under pressure and passed it out of defence.  Cracking performance, this kid could be good if he carries on like this.

Was class today. Think he'll never match Enrique's quality in defending but going forward he's already much better. Would also be much more effective for me playing right back so he didn't have to cut in every time. As he plays more defenders are going to anticipate that. He isnt going to need to be an exceptional defender if we keep playing the formation and style we are at the minute as he'll spend more time in their half anyway ala Dani Alves :D

Was class today. Think he'll never match Enrique's quality in defending but going forward he's already much better. Would also be much more effective for me playing right back so he didn't have to cut in every time. As he plays more defenders are going to anticipate that. He isnt going to need to be an exceptional defender if we keep playing the formation and style we are at the minute as he'll spend more time in their half anyway ala Dani Alves :D

His defending was top class today.

Do you think he will be as good a defender as Enrique?

Probably not over a season but today he was better.

Fair enough. I think he'll become a better rounded fullback than Enrique, but on defensive duties alone, I dont think he will be as good as Enrique. I agree however that he was fantastic today. Pleased he has settled into the team and I hope we buy a LB during the summer and move him over. Him and Ben Arfa on the right would be lethal.

Guest optimistic nit

He's adapted better than Colo because he's physically pretty good for the PL. He's not the strongest but as strong as most wingers and very quick to boot. Colo had to adapt to the pace of the game.

colo plays cb as well. you're a lot more sheltered when you're a full back

Guest optimistic nit

As I said in the first 3 words of the post.

You also said "Think he'll never match Enrique's quality in defending."  I think he matched it today.

Do you think he will be as good a defender as Enrique?

as good a defender enrique is, he also has a habit of giving the ball away in his own half that he had for us and still has for liverpool. funnily enough i can only remember us conceding one goal from it in the final 2 years he was here (in some nothing championship game when we were comfortably up and may have already achieved promotion) however its cost liverpool a couple of times this season. not saying he's not a class defender, he is, or that santon's better than him, because from the games i've seen (didn't see today) he isn't yet, but enrique isn't the perfect defender.