Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Not really a disgrace is it? 

We've got 3 good results with our back 4 so far and there's no point rushing him in to action.  See that Ruiz chappy today.

Ryan Taylor was very average/poor. He had his goals, but there is no reason Santon shouldn't start.

I think he should and hope Santon does start but there could be a few reasons why he might not so I don 't think the toys need to come out of the pram just yet.

That said, his goals have 'papered over the cracks' for Taylor and he shouldn't be keeping his place because of his perfomances.

We've got 3 good results with our back 4 so far and there's no point rushing him in to action.  See that Ruiz chappy today.

Ryan Taylor was very average/poor. He had his goals, but there is no reason Santon shouldn't start.

This. You should obviously always start your best players.

I don't think Santon has even trained with the team yet... for that reason I would be surprised if he starts.

Why wouldn't he have trained with the team?

He has been away with the Italian under 21 squad.

Guest Dontooner

Not sure he should start, we should really ease him in.

Watched a couple of his videos on youtube, seem to be more involved and accomplish on the left side for some reason.

I'm still going to assume this.....:undecided:

Maybe it's a case of easing him into the side (like Ben Arfa last year)? :dontknow:

Not that I agree with that, he should definitely start on Monday - we signed him as a left back so it's only logical that he starts.

This. You should obviously always start your best players.

and we don't know how good Santon is going to be for us yet.

At the moment, Raylor is the 'proven' and safest option...  Hopefully Santon comes on and shows his quality, thus cementing a first team place. 

Guest VaVaVoom

Of course Santon will of trained with the squad.

Do you think they are just gonna let him sit at home after playing for Italy?

Daft.

Rubbish post taxfree.  Adding nothing to the discussion.

We don't know how well Santon will play for us yet because he hasn't played for us.  We can only guess based on his performances in Italy, which are promising.

But, he's switched to a different country, with no fellow Italians in the team and about to play in a league that operates with a completely different style and tempo to what he is use to.  He's also got to get used to how we want him to operate.  Of course the sensible option is to break him in gently and we have the luxury of doing just that because Ryan Taylor is competent enough at left back to buy us a bit of time.

Rubbish post taxfree.  Adding nothing to the discussion.

We don't know how well Santon will play for us yet because he hasn't played for us.  We can only guess based on his performances in Italy, which are promising.

But, he's switched to a different country, with no fellow Italians in the team and about to play in a league that operates with a completely different style and tempo to what he is use to.  Of course the sensible option is to break him in gently and we have the luxury of doing just that because Ryan Taylor is competent enough at left back to buy us a bit of time.

Ryan Taylor isn't by any means a safe option. You are blinded by two great goals. We don't know how well he will play, but he won't be much worse than Raylor. No way. He's a fantastic talented player with great speed, and experience from Champions League and Serie A. This QPR game is perfect for him.

That said, I will understand if Pardew, because of Santon not having trained enough, starts him on the bench.

How do you know he wont be worse than Raylor tomorrow night?

You think the QPR game will be easy for us?  Attitudes like that can slip us up.  Playing the team that has started the season with 3 good results, who know our system and the league, is not a disgraceful decision.  It's conservative and sensible.

I'm sure Santon will be a better player than Raylor in the long run, but we can afford to break him in gently.

How do you know he wont be worse than Raylor tomorrow night?

You think the QPR game will be easy for us?  Attitudes like that can slip us up.  Playing the team that has started the season with 3 good results, who know our system and the league, is not a disgraceful decision.  It's conservative and sensible.

I'm sure Santon will be a better player than Raylor in the long run, but we can afford to break him in gently.

Because of how poor Raylor is. There isn't much to lose. And no, I don't think it will be an easy match. No match in Premier League is easy. As people elsewhere on this forum have pointed out - this is a game where we typically struggle. Would be nice to have a speedy back full of running to give us something else, rather than a defensively poor, rather slow Raylor.

Just because you played Russian Roulette 3 times and didn't die doesn't mean it's a good idea to try it again.

This doesn't work because there is no absolute certainty about Raylor costing us a game - or even killing us :lol:

It's not impossible to survive a game of Russian Roulette either.

Just because you played Russian Roulette 3 times and didn't die doesn't mean it's a good idea to try it again.

This doesn't work because there is no absolute certainty about Raylor costing us a game - or even killing us :lol:

It's not impossible to survive a game of Russian Roulette either.

Depends upon the variation of the rules in use?

Anyway, it's a silly metaphor for this.  Know what you're trying to do, but he's nowhere near as much a liability as you're implying.