Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

ridiculous imo, we can't afford to be sentimental.

There is a difference between sentimentality and man management...

such insight. raylor's had a decent start, he's scored two free kicks but other than that been ok at the job he's there to do primarily. if you want to reward him leave him in the position he's had a decent start in, or put him at right back where simpson's been poor. don't weaken our midfield needlessly just to keep his spirits up, it's counter-productive.

Guest VaVaVoom

Don't think anyone wants him there but some think that Pardew will want to keep him in the team at the moment to reward him for his goals before phasing him out.

Exactly.

Raylor is not going to be a mainstay in the side but he does deserve a place at the moment.

It will certainly be interesting to see if AP has the balls to make a big decision.

Don't think anyone wants him there but some think that Pardew will want to keep him in the team at the moment to reward him for his goals before phasing him out.

Exactly.

Raylor is not going to be a mainstay in the side but he does deserve a place at the moment.

It will certainly be interesting to see if AP has the balls to make a big decision.

He does, but playing him in midfield would be criminal. Santon also has to play meaning he should only get a place in the side at RB which I'd be happy to see happen.

such insight. raylor's had a decent start, he's scored two free kicks but other than that been ok at the job he's there to do primarily. if you want to reward him leave him in the position he's had a decent start in, or put him at right back where simpson's been poor. don't weaken our midfield needlessly just to keep his spirits up, it's counter-productive.

Raylor has been used at right midfield before, Pardew might well see him as a possible replacement for Barton. Might be worth a shot as he wouldn't be playing too far forward in a 3 man midfield.

I guess that is where Pardew earns his coin, by using the information he gets on a daily basis at training and using that as best he can to get the 3points. In terms of mobility and physical presence I don't see a massive difference between Barton and Taylor, Taylor is probably the closest thing we have to a direct 'replacement' for Barton on the right wing. Won't take people on, has a decent cross on him, will pick up dodgy bookings and likes to take a set piece. Oh and he's scouse as well, so you'll never know when he'll randomly get sent off.

Would be a pretty awful partnership with Simpson though. Didn't we have Raylor RB, Simpson RW at one point (or was it saylor?)

Guest VaVaVoom

Exactly.

He does, but playing him in midfield would be criminal. Santon also has to play meaning he should only get a place in the side at RB which I'd be happy to see happen.

Im of the same opinion mate. I just dont think AP will drop Simpson. I hope he does. It would give him the kick up the arse that he needs.

Simpson is marginally better than Raylor @ RB but Raylor deserves his spot more than Simpson.

Best possible decision in my opinion is to drop DS, put RT at RB, give Santon his debut @ LB.

This really is an opportunity for both of them to really make RB theirs.

Exactly - it's £45 a ticket, not taking into account any of the other costs - we shouldn't have to turn up and see Santon, who has been signed to be first choice left back, on the bench just because Raylor has put a couple of freekicks on target.

Saw nowt of him in the press confrence clips on nutv. Has Santon even been training with us yet?

If not, or at least not much, I'd be amazed if he made the starting 11.

He has been away with Italy U21, so guess he was back in Newcastle yesterday or today.

Maybe it's a case of easing him into the side (like Ben Arfa last year)? :dontknow:

Not that I agree with that, he should definitely start on Monday - we signed him as a left back so it's only logical that he starts.