What can this squad achieve?

The Prophet

They dont have to be better than us to finish above us really. We were the better side against sunderland in both games but ended up worse but thats not the point.

Villa, Bolton, sunderland, Stoke all have great chances of being above us. Theres a top 10 and we will be against the Evertons, Fulhams, QPR's etc after that. Its comes down to scoring goals and we look very short.

Edit: Wolves also have to be up there with us too with their signings looking canny. If that doesnt depress you then enjoy the delusion

I know everyone's trying to whip up some hysteria about us currently, but we will not be finishing outside the top 10 mate. Below Sunderland, aye righto.

Even with a very weak squad, Everton will still comfortably finish above both North East clubs and will be no lower than 8th.

We have big problems in terms of the club as a whole, don't get me wrong, but our squad is still good and it's quite amusing to see media outlets make out like Arteta leaving will plunge us into the bottom half or something.

The worst thing about the whole transfer window for me is the absolute confirmation, that whilst Mike Ashley is in charge, we will never be able to achieve anything. As soon as we get a good squad Ahley will dismantle it, we will never spend proper money whilst he is here. We already have the basis of a very good squad and it would have cost around £20 million to turn us into a real top side, this was his biggest chance yet to push us forward and if he wasn't willing to do it now, why would he ever do it. The best we can hope is that he is simply cutting costs in order to sell.

How will the squad get good? Ashley never spends anything so it's a wonder that we have any good players that other teams might be interested in.

They dont have to be better than us to finish above us really. We were the better side against sunderland in both games but ended up worse but thats not the point.

Villa, Bolton, sunderland, Stoke all have great chances of being above us. Theres a top 10 and we will be against the Evertons, Fulhams, QPR's etc after that. Its comes down to scoring goals and we look very short.

Edit: Wolves also have to be up there with us too with their signings looking canny. If that doesnt depress you then enjoy the delusion

I know everyone's trying to whip up some hysteria about us currently, but we will not be finishing outside the top 10 mate. Below Sunderland, aye righto.

Even with a very weak squad, Everton will still comfortably finish above both North East clubs and will be no lower than 8th.

We have big problems in terms of the club as a whole, don't get me wrong, but our squad is still good and it's quite amusing to see media outlets make out like Arteta leaving will plunge us into the bottom half or something.

The start to your season hasn't exactly been good. Flukey win against Blackburn (relegation candidates) and a home loss against QPR (relegation candidates)

The worst thing about the whole transfer window for me is the absolute confirmation, that whilst Mike Ashley is in charge, we will never be able to achieve anything. As soon as we get a good squad Ahley will dismantle it, we will never spend proper money whilst he is here. We already have the basis of a very good squad and it would have cost around £20 million to turn us into a real top side, this was his biggest chance yet to push us forward and if he wasn't willing to do it now, why would he ever do it. The best we can hope is that he is simply cutting costs in order to sell.

How will the squad get good? Ashley never spends anything so it's a wonder that we have any good players that other teams might be interested in.

I mean getting good players, the likes of Tiote and Cabaye, i was trying to say we simply buy them to sell them on.

The start to your season hasn't exactly been good. Flukey win against Blackburn (relegation candidates) and a home loss against QPR (relegation candidates)

We don't do starts.

Guest Wearside

Baines and Drenthe down the left, Neville and Coleman(when fit) down the right, add in top players like Felliani,Rodwell,Jagielka and that young kid Barkley who looks the part and you can easily see why Everton will be comfortable top half again. Obviously a few bad injuries and that could change, but that can be said of most clubs in the league.

I mean getting good players, the likes of Tiote and Cabaye, i was trying to say we simply buy them to sell them on.

So we do buy good players then?

Not what I've heard from most people on here.

Don't think you can argue with the quality of most of our transfers, the reason they have been bought in however are so we can sell them for a profit, not build a squad around them and push on.

Don't think you can argue with the quality of most of our transfers, the reason they have been bought in however are so we can sell them for a profit, not build a squad around them and push on.

Same can be said for the majority of clubs in our position tbh. Most of the better players don't want to stay for longer than they have to, we're a stepping stone.

we make speculative small purchases and acquire players on free transfers, if a player proves their worth on the pitch and asks to be paid what they're worth, we move them on. we dont pay the going rate in fees or wages.

Same can be said for the majority of clubs in our position tbh. Most of the better players don't want to stay for longer than they have to, we're a stepping stone.

so you do something to get out of that position, one way could possibly be selling a player for a massive amount of money and using it to improve the squad?

There is no reason for us to be one though, i think we have enough here to really push on if Mike was willing to back it, the players we have sold were willing to stay but where forced out. Obviously if one of the mega clubs come in it is different.

we make speculative small purchases and acquire players on free transfers, if a player proves their worth on the pitch and asks to be paid what they're worth, we move them on. we dont pay the going rate in fees or wages.

Who decides this 'going rate'?

Who decides this 'going rate'?

the nearest i can get to answering that is saying the market decides it. wages are a lot lower in france, hence our recruitment from there primarily.

In my opinion, with the squad that we have, we are more than capable of getting to 8th or higher.

really? who's gonna play centre half if colo or taylor gets injured? who's gonna score enough goals to keep us in the top 8?

We'll win 25 games 1-0, sorted  :thup:

Quite alot of unknowns in the squad at the moment.

The following players are either new signings or have barely featured for one reason and another:

Marveaux, Obertan, Santon, Cabaye, Ba, Gosling, Ben Arfa

Then theres Vuckic, Ameobi, Ferguson, and possibly Abeid - would hope that this lot could make a decent contribution this season. Early signs are good for the first 3.

I'm under the impression that its probably going to be a year to early for Tavernier, and I'm not really bothered about Elliot, although if hes ahead of Harper then he could end up getting quite a few games.

Thats up to 13 players who we've barely seen play for us who are in the first team squad this year. Very difficult to predict how we're going to do - anything from 7th to all out disaster still looks a possibility to me even though we're 3 games in.

Guest Rainforest

We dont have the depth to battle for those European spots. Our first XI is fine but toss in a few injuries and we are gonna struggle.

United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs...

Then a gap down to the likes of Villa and Everton, though i think Villa may be closer to the top 6 than some may guess...

Stoke, Bolton, S*nderland and maybe even West Brom are in a group with us that will be going for midtable spots of 9th downwards, though I reckon this year Everton will fall towards this group, maybe even one of us overtaking them...

essentially 8th-9th is what we can do, 7th if we perform exceptionally

United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs...

Then a gap down to the likes of Villa and Everton, though i think Villa may be closer to the top 6 than some may guess...

Stoke, Bolton, S*nderland and maybe even West Brom are in a group with us that will be going for midtable spots of 9th downwards, though I reckon this year Everton will fall towards this group, maybe even one of us overtaking them...

essentially 8th-9th is what we can do, 7th if we perform exceptionally

They've signed some absolute sack this window mind.