What can this squad achieve?

The Prophet

Basing your expectations of future injuries on past injuries to completely different players seems mental to me.

Of course we will have injuries, but no more than any team should expect in an average season.

When we sign a bunch of crocks who were free because they were a bunch of crocks, Im inclined to disagree.

Aye, well that's debatable, I was thinking more about people talking about our historic tendency to have a lot of injuries.

Basing your expectations of future injuries on past injuries to completely different players seems mental to me.

Of course we will have injuries, but no more than any team should expect in an average season.

When we sign a bunch of crocks who were free because they were a bunch of crocks, Im inclined to disagree.

Who are these crocks?

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

I think we'll manage around 13/14th. The ACN will hurt us but i don't think we're weak enough to get dragged into a relegation battle.

There's fuck all below the top 6 to be scared of. In fact I'm not even sure Spurs are going to be all that this season.

You have a better strikeforce than us, for one. You have some real quality players in midfield. You have a class defender in Colo, Saylor has seemingly improved a lot, Santon is frankly a coup.

There's fuck all below the top 6 to be scared of. In fact I'm not even sure Spurs are going to be all that this season.

You have a better strikeforce than us, for one. You have some real quality players in midfield. You have a class defender in Colo, Saylor has seemingly improved a lot, Santon is frankly a coup.

Shh, this isn't a time for sense.

This a time to over-react. Get the fuck off our board with your nonsens.

No, don't you get it? I'm an Ashley apologist since I pointed out your plus points. Berate me. Berate me!

They can finish anywhere between 7th and 15th, but that's not because it's a strong squad, it's because the league is filled with a lot of crap this year. Does that excuse the lack of investment, abso fucking lutely not, this was a real opportunity to kick on, it's been missed completely.

Guest Rainforest

Who are these crocks?

Ba and Marveaux for starters. Santon coming off a 2-year bad streak. Obertan who has been massively shit.

Ben arfa obviously but that one was out of our hands, thanks Nigel.

It just seems like we have a knack for signing " failed" players because it drives down the price, through injury or otherwise..

I wish we could just sign someone up and coming and deemed the best since sliced bread,  for a decent sum for both parties.

Ah well..

No, don't you get it? I'm an Ashley apologist since I pointed out your plus points. Berate me. Berate me!

You nob!

That's all I could muster, it's late.

Who are these crocks?

Ba and Marveaux for starters. Santon coming off a 2-year bad streak. Obertan who has been massively shit.

It just seems like we have a knack for signing " failed" players because it drives down the price, through injury or otherwise..

I wish we could just sign someone up and coming and deemed the best since sliced bread,  for a decent sum for both parties.

Ah well..

Deary me.

Failed players. :lol: :lol:

Santon is 20 for Christ's sake. Obertan barely got played at Man Utd, he needed a fresh start. Ba's had problems but by all accounts isn't actually that bad injury-wise.

In fact, I give up. That sort of pessimism is impossible to counter.

Who are these crocks?

Ba and Marveaux for starters. Santon coming off a 2-year bad streak. Obertan who has been massively s***.

Ah well..

but all clubs at "our"level have to sign players with thosesorts of question marks over them, if they didn;t have them we couldn't get them. then the idea is that iuf some of themn come off they improve us so we can by better players due to higher profile /increased income or through selling them.

Guest sydneycove

Who are these crocks?

Ba and Marveaux for starters. Santon coming off a 2-year bad streak. Obertan who has been massively s***.

Ah well..

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?

These guys can help you mate.

HBA's injuries have both been impact injuries, have nothing to do with the guy being 'injury prone' really as they've been out of his control.

Marveaux is more worrying, constant soft tissue injuries are what makes somebody injury prone IMO.

Guest sydneycove

Marveaux is more worrying, constant soft tissue injuries are what makes somebody injury prone IMO.

That and being a forward for Arsenal

I don't think the squad is very strong. I look past the first team and I see substandard players in nearly all positions. I'd like to say the midfield looks good but we don't have a proper right winger at the club, Guthrie has always been hit or miss and injury prone and Gosling remains totally unproven. Cabaye's made an OK start and Tiote is a quality player, while I rate Gutierrez more than most simply for his team play. Up front we lack any punch and it'll only get worse with injuries. Defence looks decent although Simpson will always be an average full back and we could be caught short with injuries.

Overall, it's hard to say because we don't really know anything about Marveaux and Ben Arfa and Gosling are coming back from very long term injuries and at this stage can't be counted upon. I think the lack of strikers will hurt us in tight games and that could be our undoing unless Ba can find his shooting boots.

For me, a lot is riding on the return of Ben Arfa as he could be our biggest threat up front. If he gets an injury free run for months on end and forms a good partnership with Ba, we could be dangerous but it's looking a big IF at the moment.

Too many unknowns at this stage due to new signings from abroad. Wait and see how they get on and if the team gels and they stay fit we should be OK for lower mid-table or a mid-table spot. Any higher than that and you need a regular goalscorer. Injuries to key players would really have us looking over our shoulders but the same is true of half the teams in the league.