The Threeway - Best, Ba & Carroll

alpal78
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll would have probably scored a couple of the chances that Best had today, the comparison between the two is daft.

Daft because you may not like how the stats look at the end of the season?  :gm's dummy:

As for your point, that is nothing more than just an assertion.

Carroll would have probably scored a couple of the chances that Best had today, the comparison between the two is daft.

Daft because you may not like how the stats look at the end of the season?  :gm's dummy:

The thread title is Best v Carroll, I think Carroll is by far the better of the two.

The thread title is Best v Carroll, I think Carroll is by far the better of the two.

Great and good on you  :thup: I think Carroll is better in some areas but that Best would have a better goal/minutes ratio by the end of the season. Let's see

Great and good on you  :thup: I think Carroll is better in some areas but that Best would have a better goal/minutes ratio by the end of the season. Let's see

Does a better goals per minute ratio mean the player with the best stat's is the better player?

Does a better goals per minute ratio mean the player with the best stat's is the better player?

Strikers get judged on how many goals they score.

In the case of Carroll vs Best (over this season)?  Yes.

Then last season Nolan was a better player than Rooney.

Then last season Nolan was a better player than Rooney.

In terms of getting goals yes he was (for last season). Rooney last season was atrocious (especially early on), Ameobi was probably better than him. In any case not sure the point you are making, 'striker's like Best and Carroll's main responsibility is to 'strike' (duh) and score goals and to a lesser extent provide assist. When all is said and done, that is what all strikers will be measured at, same goes for Best, Ba and Carroll.

No, it's daft, because Carroll is playing under a far greater weight of expectation than Best. Carroll has nor had that many more games for Liverpool than Best had in the second half of the promotion season - ie when he was just arrived, in a successful side and expected to perform. One reason Best has been a minor revelation is because nobody expected anything from him after that half season when he was utter shit. To a lesser extent, the same applied for Carroll in the Championship and even in the Premier League early last season - he massively exceeded modest expectations - modest expectations meaning less pressure; less pressure meaning a more relaxed player.

Then there's the fact that Carroll is now playing for a manager who we know all too well struggles to get the best out of players.

Oh, and the idea that Carroll can only play football in the air is also complete bollocks. He scored more with his feet than his head last season, was our quickest player (according to stats) and showed on his England debut (dropping the shoulder on one man, then jinking past another against France) that he is decent on the ball.

I won't go into your own track recordnon this forum...

Since Best in this case has proven to be a very capable forward regardless of goals, I would say so aye.

Best is showing a knack for being in the right place at the right time with some excellent positional play. The goals didn't come today but with all the creativity we have in the side at the minute he's gonna clock up 10 - 15 goals comfortably feeding on scraps alone.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No, it's daft, because Carroll is playing under a far greater weight of expectation than Best. Carroll has nor had that many more games for Liverpool than Best had in the second half of the promotion season - ie when he was just arrived, in a successful side and expected to perform. One reason Best has been a minor revelation is because nobody expected anything from him after that half season when he was utter shit. To a lesser extent, the same applied for Carroll in the Championship and even in the Premier League early last season - he massively exceeded modest expectations - modest expectations meaning less pressure; less pressure meaning a more relaxed player.

Then there's the fact that Carroll is now playing for a manager who we know all too well struggles to get the best out of players.

Oh, and the idea that Carroll can only play football in the air is also complete bollocks. He scored more with his feet than his head last season, was our quickest player (according to stats) and showed on his England debut (dropping the shoulder on one man, then jinking past another against France) that he is decent on the ball.

The only stats I can remember suggested Simpson was our fastest and Guthrie our fittest. Make of that what you will.

No, it's daft, because Carroll is playing under a far greater weight of expectation than Best. Carroll has nor had that many more games for Liverpool than Best had in the second half of the promotion season - ie when he was just arrived, in a successful side and expected to perform. One reason Best has been a minor revelation is because nobody expected anything from him after that half season when he was utter s***. To a lesser extent, the same applied for Carroll in the Championship and even in the Premier League early last season - he massively exceeded modest expectations - modest expectations meaning less pressure; less pressure meaning a more relaxed player.

The whole point of this thread is to try and be as objective as possible, based on stats of goals/minutes ratio in evaluating both (now three) players. Goal/minutes is used as the main criteria as i) these are indisputable facts and ii) that's what strikers are paid to do.

Sure we can start going into Kenny is crap, 35M is too much pressure, Best is an ugly fucker...etc, but there are more than enough threads for all those subjective endless arguments. If you want vote Carroll be my guess and good on you if you are proven to be right.

As for my track record on this forum, kudos for being a stalker and analyzing my record  O0

Best is under immense pressure here. Sure there's not the transfer fee or media furore around him, but he's been expected to be our main goalscorer for the last 9 months, when everyone had written him off after the Championship season, and he's come up trumps.

Fair play to him - he's done really well. But pressure wise, there's no

comparison. Neither I nor any fan I know expected anything of Best after Carroll left - he's been a massive bonus. By contrast, had Carroll missed the chances Best did yesterday, the backlash would have been merciless. His every move is under scrutiny, Best's isn't.