Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest bimpy474

Why aren't we capable of putting weaker sides out and still get through like many other PL sides can do?

I don't really know, a combination of things from luck, bad player performances to managerial mistakes etc. If the question was for me, I was making a point about approach and specifically not results.

It's mostly because the club doesn't have a philosophy about how to play the game. A style of play that is implemented at every level of the club all the way from the kids to the first team. Players in the first eleven might have a clue about what the guy next to them is going to do next but this is down to them getting to know each others style. It should be down to every player following a coherent plan of playing, where to move, where to pass, how to pass, when to slow it down, when to apply pressure, depending on the area of the pitch.

This in my opinion causes changes in the squad to make the players look like headless chickens running around. The player coming in doesnt have a plan of play to follow and he doesnt know the other players well enough to guess what they are doing next.

Very good post.

:thup:

It is a very good one, and many have said it too. We have no identity, no pattern, no real style. It's all ad hoc play and it runs through all levels, because if the 1st team is like it every team below will be playing to how each manager is getting them too. And not with a football philosophy from the 1st team manager. Every team plays different, it's not hard to see why it's all such a mess.

Sunderland who just got to a final and Wigan, the FA Cup holders and this year's semi-finalists. :lol:

The error isn't owning up to it, it's having that mindset in the first place.  You've got a huge list of clubs up there that have quite clearly taken it more seriously than us.

Why aren't we capable of putting weaker sides out and still get through like many other PL sides can do?

I don't really know, a combination of things from luck, bad player performances to managerial mistakes etc. If the question was for me, I was making a point about approach and specifically not results.

It's mostly because the club doesn't have a philosophy about how to play the game. A style of play that is implemented at every level of the club all the way from the kids to the first team. Players in the first eleven might have a clue about what the guy next to them is going to do next but this is down to them getting to know each others style. It should be down to every player following a coherent plan of playing, where to move, where to pass, how to pass, when to slow it down, when to apply pressure, depending on the area of the pitch.

This in my opinion causes changes in the squad to make the players look like headless chickens running around. The player coming in doesnt have a plan of play to follow and he doesnt know the other players well enough to guess what they are doing next.

:thup:

It doesn't help when he's starting Shola Ameobi up top and leaving Remi on the bench against Man City either. But aye, we've seen far too many times how much of a spanner in the works us trying to incorporate new faces into the side can be.

Utterly clueless post. We took Manchester City to extra time that night ffs.

I was honoured to see that. Have some bloody gratitude.

What other clubs have said they are not interested in cup competitions?

How open we've been about it is a mistake. Especially among our own fans obviously. But I doubt many outside observers would notice the difference.

And aye, our stating it so clearly is wrong. But I'm sure you could pick out a large number of priority-related quotes from other managers and chairmen. Sunderland have just sacrificed a cup game for their survival attempt for example, and Dave Whelan has just said the league is his priority as well.

:spit:

Great examples there Ian.

What other clubs have said they are not interested in cup competitions?

How open we've been about it is a mistake. Especially among our own fans obviously. But I doubt many outside observers would notice the difference.

And aye, our stating it so clearly is wrong. But I'm sure you could pick out a large number of priority-related quotes from other managers and chairmen. Sunderland have just sacrificed a cup game for their survival attempt for example, and Dave Whelan has just said the league is his priority as well.

Sunderland have just got to a cup final and Wigan are in the semis. Both teams have much more to play for in their respective leagues than we do too.

We don't so much as prioritise the league over the cups as throw the towel in the minute the draw is made.

Those two teams, and the ones in your list Wullie, have had better results than us. I'm not talking about results. That small sample of results doesn't tell you anything about their priorities. Certainly not from the start of the competition.

I agree our results have been crap, I agree we should prioritise the cup more. I'm just saying that our priorities are very normal in football these days.

Ian defends the regime, then is almost oblivious to the fact hes doing it.

Its not our individual owners/managers fault, its just a common issue in football. We just happen to be the worst, for reasons that cannot be answered because our approach is the same. So it must be a coincidence, couldnt possibly suggest that somewhere our approach isnt actually the same.

We prioritise the league so much that we sold our best player in January when only a couple of points off a potential European place.

Might try that at work. Next time my manager tells me to prioritise something, I'll sabotage my computer so I can't manage it.

Not even sure what your saying? That our priorities are the same as everyone else's but we're just unlucky in that we get beat early on all of the time where as the rest happen to muddle through every now and then?

All I know is that we're terrible in the cups for a number of reasons, and none of them are luck.

Guest bimpy474

We prioritise the league so much that we sold our best player in January when only a couple of points off a potential European place.

Might try that at work. Next time my manager tells me to prioritise something, I'll sabotage my computer so I can't manage it.

We prioritise 8th place like :lol:

Could you make less sense, Ian?

It's really very simple to understand. A lot of clubs priories the premier league, and a lot of clubs find the Europa League a hassle.

But a lot of clubs manage to make it to the later stages of cup competitions even when prioritising the league. We fall at the second or first hurdle every year.

Guest neesy111

Could you make less sense, Ian?

It's really very simple to understand. A lot of clubs priories the premier league, and a lot of clubs find the Europa League a hassle.

But a lot of clubs manage to make it to the later stages of cup competitions even when prioritising the league. We fall at the second or first hurdle every year.

Who is at fault for that then?

Not even sure what your saying? That our priorities are the same as everyone else's but we're just unlucky in that we get beat early on all of the time where as the rest happen to muddle through every now and then?

All I know is that we're terrible in the cups for a number of reasons, and none of them are luck.

None of them are luck? What else do you blame for our key players always picking up injuries in the days leading up to FA Cup 3rd Round weekend?

Guest tollemache

I wasn't giving reasons for our defeats, I was saying out priorities are similar to many clubs.

This is the point I've read up to so far. Got a private bet with myself that he'll have to repeat this or a variation of this at least one more before the end

Guest neesy111

I wasn't giving reasons for our defeats, I was saying out priorities are similar to many clubs.

This is the point I've read up to so far. Got a private bet with myself that he'll have to repeat this or a variation of this at least one more before the end

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/templates/22.jpg