Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I wasn't giving reasons for our defeats, I was saying out priorities are similar to many clubs.

This is the point I've read up to so far. Got a private bet with myself that he'll have to repeat this or a variation of this at least one more before the end

But it means absolutely nothing at all :lol:

Our priorities are the same as other clubs? How is that measured? Have yous had a dodge around all of the grounds in the league asking the management staff to rate how they would priorities the FA Cup and League cup in a scale of 10?

Guest bimpy474

Twice more as it turns out, while people harangue him, attacking points he's not making. Solid fare

http://i.imgur.com/PNG3tPB.png

Guest tollemache

If anyone's still confused btw, I think what he was trying to get across was that a lot of clubs put more effort into the league than the cups, and that the Europa League is quite often seen as a bit of a cumbersome distraction.

Guest tollemache

I wasn't giving reasons for our defeats, I was saying out priorities are similar to many clubs.

This is the point I've read up to so far. Got a private bet with myself that he'll have to repeat this or a variation of this at least one more before the end

But it means absolutely nothing at all :lol:

Our priorities are the same as other clubs? How is that measured? Have yous had a dodge around all of the grounds in the league asking the management staff to rate how they would priorities the FA Cup and League cup in a scale of 10?

It's really easy to measure: look at all the clubs who rest first team players in the early rounds of the cups, and, to be honest, in the later rounds too. They're all at it. I know this especially well because I never hear the bloody end of it - a friend of mine is a professional football gambler who makes it his business to monitor all the team news in every round, and it drives him nuts how many teams who have basically nothing else in life to play for opt to slightly increase their chances of 3 points at the weekend rather than try in a competition that could very realistically bring them a genuine chance of excitement or even a trophy, so he constantly complains about it. It's insane.

Recent examples include Southampton who, like us, have been in a bit of a nothing battle for 8th recently, but rested players against Sunderland and promptly lost. It is absolutely impossible to deny that lots and lots of clubs don't really take the cups seriously and if you try then you are categorically completely wrong.

Guest bimpy474

Other clubs can rest players and still win a football match. That's because Alan Pardew isn't their manager.

Spot on.

Guest tollemache

There's no doubt about it - it's incredibly stupid. Even more stupid because, if you can bank on almost all of your rivals doing it, then by fielding a strong side you've got even more of a chance of getting to the semis or final. Doing it versus Cardiff at home made me so fucking angry.

Other clubs rest players and lose football matches too, Wullie. About the same amount that win them, you'll find.

Guest tollemache

In what way does pointing out that we're hardly unique in our approach to cups give you that idea? Especially as I was actually condemning it

Other clubs rest players and lose football matches too, Wullie. About the same amount that win them, you'll find.

Must be why so few of them get further in the cup than we do. Apart from all of them.

Guest bimpy474

Must be why so few of them get further in the cup than we do. Apart from all of them.

Funnily enough they aren't managed by Alan 'The Nut' Pardew

What does it matter what other clubs do?

The only relevance it should have is that everyone else is not taking it seriously it should make it even easier for us not to do utterly shite every fucking year.

The categorical last thing it should mean is that we should rank and file join in regardless of how well/shit we're doing. Wouldn't mind seeing us in a final or winnin something, I hear it's canny.

Guest bimpy474

What does it matter what other clubs do?

The only relevance it should have is that everyone else is not taking it seriously it should make it even easier for us not to do utterly shite every fucking year.

The categorical last thing it should mean is that we should rank and file join in regardless of how well/shit we're doing. Wouldn't mind seeing us in a final or winnin something, I hear it's canny.

Because that is used to defend our shambles of a club under a shambles of a manager.

Guest tollemache

1. Saying explicitly that it's really shit when clubs rest players in clubs is certainly not defending it, and both me and Ian have done that in the last page or so.

2. Other clubs really, really do have that exact same approach. If we've done worse in the cups then it's some combination of luck, a wank second string, over-reliance on one or two first teamers and god knows what else, because if you look at all the cup matches that don't involve NUFC, you'll see team after team after team resting their first teamers to concentrate on the league. It's not even up for debate because it happens all the time, right in front of your face, every single round of both domestic cups.

We have a similar approach to cups as other sides, we just happen to do worse.

Unlucky for Gosling hes not turned into Ronaldo also like, because cause & effect doesnt exist. Then Pardew/Ashley might deserve some blame beyond openly stating what apparently loads of other clubs do anyway.

Guest tollemache

I'm not wasting any more time persuading people that a thing that is blatantly very widespread in English football really happens. You can go and look at the BBC website or something and see it for yourself in about 5 minutes. Or you can choose to believe that we're the only club doing it, or even that not many clubs do, and willfully be an utter fucking moron.