Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Thanks Merlin et al.  :thup: :thup:

My pleasure... a pity some of you lads weren't able to see the likes of Supermac, Tony Green and our two great young full backs in action as well as the team of 76 which had a great scoring run after Christmas with Mickey Burns also getting a fair few. As I said, we always had hope and we did see some great games(I remember us beating Derby - then challenging for the title - in late Feb 76, 4-3 with a very late goal from Supermac and hitting Everton for 5 at SJP a month before) but the board didn't keep Lee or build on the platform we had.

Its coming to something when we have to hark back nearly 40 years because there is no hope now....

It's hard to compare eras, because the club changed completely during the course of the Keegan - Hall era, and of course at the same time English football changed with the Premier league.

Previously, we'd been left behind by other clubs, and ended up as a yo-yo club with an under-developed stadium, despite the strong local support. Unfortunately, by the time we'd caught up, it was an era when it was far more difficult to win trophies, and certain clubs were beginning to monopolise the top places and the trophies.

Expectations have changed. The nineties opened up the possibility of actually winning the league, whereas before - although that dream was there - we were more content with minor successes. Previously, we never came close to winning the league and only appeared in two cup finals, but we cherished those good moments like Supermac's hat-trick against Liverpool.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to the old times. Basically, the standard of football is so much better now. I don't mean us in particular, I mean generally.

There's a relentless pessimism about this board at the moment, which I don't share. I'm not filled with joyous optimism either, but it's not as though previous regimes - even the one where we were spending big money - have brought us trophies. And lots of people on here seem to know exactly what Ashley is thinking and exactly what's going to happen in the future. Let's just see.

If we are not trying to win the league, not trying to get into Europe, not trying to win a Cup, If just staying in the PL and making a profit is the target, what's the point?

Football is about hopes and dreams, take them away and there's nothing. Id rather be a yoyo club at least you'd have something to hope for.

If we are not trying to win the league, not trying to get into Europe, not trying to win a Cup, If just staying in the PL and making a profit is the target, what's the point?

Football is about hopes and dreams, take them away and there's nothing. Id rather be a yoyo club at least you'd have something to hope for.

Correct.  Its a pointless existence...Feels lije a US franchise.  Just happy to exist in a league to turn a profit

It's hard to compare eras, because the club changed completely during the course of the Keegan - Hall era, and of course at the same time English football changed with the Premier league.

Previously, we'd been left behind by other clubs, and ended up as a yo-yo club with an under-developed stadium, despite the strong local support. Unfortunately, by the time we'd caught up, it was an era when it was far more difficult to win trophies, and certain clubs were beginning to monopolise the top places and the trophies.

Expectations have changed. The nineties opened up the possibility of actually winning the league, whereas before - although that dream was there - we were more content with minor successes. Previously, we never came close to winning the league and only appeared in two cup finals, but we cherished those good moments like Supermac's hat-trick against Liverpool.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to the old times. Basically, the standard of football is so much better now. I don't mean us in particular, I mean generally.

There's a relentless pessimism about this board at the moment, which I don't share. I'm not filled with joyous optimism either, but it's not as though previous regimes - even the one where we were spending big money - have brought us trophies. And lots of people on here seem to know exactly what Ashley is thinking and exactly what's going to happen in the future. Let's just see.

What do you think he's thinking?

Sorry - have to disagree about standard of football...there were decent players in almost all First Div(PL)sides in the 70s whereas now the top clubs monopolise almost all the best players. We had Supermac, he would have been worth a king's ransom today...far more exciting than the likes of Torres or even Van Persie although VP has more all round skill - Macdonald would have left EVERY modern CF standing for pace, and most for power of shot. There is no way Supermac would have been at NUFC in this day and age. If you look at International sides, the likes of Spain wouldn't have lived with the Holland team of 74 or 78 who played Total football.

He'll be sat there praying for a Hull v Sheffield United Semi-Final to end any chances of us accidentally getting into Europe.

He won't have a clue man. All he's interested in is his cheap tat shop and fucking off anyone he comes up against who doesn't lick his hoop because he knows he can.

The fact no-one could nail down who he supports for an age and that he barely bothers with going to a game shows what he thinks of us and football as a hole.

Unfortunately we're going to be stuck with him for a fucking age n all. Galling stuff.

Correct.  Its a pointless existence...Feels lije a US franchise.  Just happy to exist in a league to turn a profit

Our success though provides him with more profit, thats about the only hope we have.

The better the manager does, the more the players are worth, the higher we finish in the league, the more he can increase our status - the more exposure his main love SD gets you'd think.

Cisse's purchase was the most recent sign of what seemed like some form of ambition i can remember.

I don't know. Sometimes he acts on sentiment and impulse, sometimes he's hard-headed and calculating.

Has he stopped going to the games? Even Vincent Tan makes an appearance and he is at least as unpopular as Ashley who has either bottled it or just doesn't care.

Was mentioned on here, think its pre Xmas his last game.

I think the last home game he went to was back in September when he was chaperoning JFK.

Could well be true

He was at the Sunderland match.

yes he was

I don't know. Sometimes he acts on sentiment and impulse, sometimes he's hard-headed and calculating.

What a safe answer. :laugh:

What do you think Ashley's vision for the club is? When you say 'people know what he's thinking', I'm assuming you're referring to those who are convinced that he has no ambition beyond survival/advertising SD... don't you agree with that? Not trying to be an arse, btw.

Exactly my thoughts on the subject. We could be the only club in the world who doesn't aspire to win anything, or even climb the league. Like you said, what's the point? What's the point in paying good money to watch, you might aswell just send it straight to Ashley.

What do you think Ashley's vision for the club is? When you say 'people know what he's thinking', I'm assuming you're referring to those who are convinced that he has no ambition beyond survival/advertising SD... don't you agree with that? Not trying to be an arse, btw.

I'd say his plan was to be as successful as possible within the discipline of balancing the books, through a productive youth system, keeping a rein on wages, and a discriminating transfer policy of buying players whose value is likely to increase rather than decrease. He said that right at the start.

The club and Pardew have come out with various statements which have been interpreted very negatively. Aiming to finish in the top eight every season is seen as not interested in finishing above 8th, whereas it actually means 8th is the minimum. Prioritising the league against the cups is seen as not interested in winning a cup, whereas every single club in the Premiership prioritises the league in the same way and for similar reasons. The mixed feelings about the Europa Cup - which I think come as much from Pardew as the Board - have some validity. But because Ashley is hated and distrusted, it all becomes part of some evil masterplan to keep us in exactly the same position that we are now.

I'd say his plan was to be as successful as possible within the discipline of balancing the books, through a productive youth system, keeping a rein on wages, and a discriminating transfer policy of buying players whose value is likely to increase rather than decrease. He said that right at the start.

The club and Pardew have come out with various statements which have been interpreted very negatively. Aiming to finish in the top eight every season is seen as not interested in finishing above 8th, whereas it actually means 8th is the minimum. Prioritising the league against the cups is seen as not interested in winning a cup, whereas every single club in the Premiership prioritises the league in the same way and for similar reasons. The mixed feelings about the Europa Cup - which I think come as much from Pardew as the Board - have some validity. But because Ashley is hated and distrusted, it all becomes part of some evil masterplan to keep us in exactly the same position that we are now.

:thup:

£11m paid off his loan the accounts before last, a £10m profit in the most recent, a complete refusal to sell good advertising space to increase our spending power, no permanent transfers in 2 transfer windows, numerous players leaving and therefore off the wage bill, etc etc.

"His plan is to be as successful as possible within the discipline of balancing the books".

The thing is, the negative interpretations of Pardew's/the board's comments have been validated:

Aiming to finish in the top eight every season is seen as not interested in finishing above 8th, whereas it actually means 8th is the minimum.

I don't see why we Alan Pardew would still be here if Ashley had any aspirations of having 8th as a minimum. Last season is the obvious example. Although I suppose one argument is that Ashley may have fallen for the Europa League excuse and given him the benefit of the doubt. But, as per the negative interpretations, I do believe they see 8th as a safe maximum. Maximum cash return whilst avoiding EL.

Prioritising the league against the cups is seen as not interested in winning a cup

Had we not crumbled at the early stages in every single campaign since Ashley arrived - aside from games that are impossible to lose, like Morecambe - I would be inclined to believe we had an interest in winning a cup (and thus qualifying for the EL). Like I say, the negative interpretation has been validated here by hard facts.

The mixed feelings about the Europa Cup - which I think come as much from Pardew as the Board - have some validity.

Yep.

... Then there's:

£11m paid off his loan the accounts before last, a £10m profit in the most recent, a complete refusal to sell good advertising space to increase our spending power, no permanent transfers in 2 transfer windows, numerous players leaving and therefore off the wage bill, etc etc.

... Then there's down-right rancid stuff like putting Wise ahead of Kevin Keegan, not giving Hughton an assistant then slinging him, renaming the stadium, utterly covering it in blue and red, appointing Joe Kinnear, getting Puma, getting Wonga, etc etc etc. The list goes on. It's ridiculously easy to see why people hate Ashley.

The overall policy that they laid out at the very beginning had good aspects. And I do still believe that there are good aspects to the way we run the club. I've said before... I'd much rather be successful via a transfer policy like ours (save for one or two major tweaks), than simply buying success like Man City have, as if it's some cheat code on a computer game.

But I can't get away from the fact that Ashley sees 8th (or 7th, now, thanks to this weekend's results :pow:) as the ceiling, all the while commandeering £5m-a-year's worth of advertising space for his tat shop. That's an opinion that's based on facts as well as soundbites.

We treat the FA Cup and League Cup EXACTLY the same as every other Premier League club.

Just sheer coincidence that we get knocked out by significantly inferior opposition (usually at least a division, sometimes 3) every single year having dropped most of our best players.