Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest tollemache

All those are lovely points but I don't care about them right now.

:lol:

Because they have bugger all to do with Cronky's post, yep.

And this has nothing to do with mine.

In fairness yours was kind of open to interpretation... as you were

Guest tollemache

It's obviously hard not to wilt under the weight of counterarguments like that but I believe my point stands

:lol: Honestly.  We're interested in finishing above 8th but we're dubious about getting into the Europa League, and that "has some validity".  Contradict yourself much?

He didn't, in the slightest. "We aim to finish at least 8th, however we have mixed feelings about the Europa League" is not contradictory. And yes, having mixed feelings about the Europa League is valid. I think an awful lot of clubs and an awful lot of fans have mixed feelings about it.

Wouldn't want europe to jeopardise our chances of getting into europe.

:D

I know it's slightly daft, but that's what 'mixed feelings' are all about. If you asked me whether I'd like us to get into the Europa, I'd say, "Yes, but I'd be a bit worried about our next season in the league". Mixed feelings, ladies and gents.

But as Loki suggests what's the point in having a good next season if we cannot celebrate a positive outcome? Id imagine with our current set up champs league may be a long wait with or without extra games in Europe.

Anyway its completely right to want a manager who can balance both, not to justify his insecurities at being able to handle it as yeah fair enough. Of course its not fair enough, we have nothing else man.

Guest tollemache

Yep. I know we should be trying to get into Europe and win the Europa League. I hope we sneak into it and do really well. All anyone said was that mixed feelings about Europa League are valid. Whether Pardew can handle EL involvement better or worse than other managers is another question.

I agree they have mixed feelings, Its not valid. You don't manage a club and openly state you're unsure of taking part in the most likely chance the fans have for any form of success resulting from the league.

How is that a valid position from owner & manager? Unless they've more faith in Pard's ability to get us top 4 out of nowhere than to juggle europe. Or unless of course they don't have faith in either, because its not required.

I guess the mistake is stating it so openly. It's a fact that many clubs prioritise survival over cups and find the Europa league a hassle they could do without. Don't think anyone can dispute that. Obviously the fans shouldn't share this view, but it's a problem with football rather than Newcastla specifically.

We are successful though, just not in the way that regular supporters want to be.

To the new hoardes of fans who love the financial fair play trophy and accounts based sporting success we're one of the most successful clubs in the world.

Next Jan/Feb we can celebrate this once more. Might open a flag, balloon, and bunting store in anticipation.

I guess the mistake is stating it so openly. It's a fact that many clubs prioritise survival over cups and find the Europa league a hassle they could do without. Don't think anyone can dispute that. Obviously the fans shouldn't share this view, but it's a problem with football rather than Newcastla specifically.

Is that what we did this season, prioritised survival over cups?

Guest tollemache

In the daftest possible way, yes (thinking of Cardiff when we had absolutely no reason to rest players). But yes. Fucking ridiculous that was

Since Mike Ashley took control, the following clubs have competed in semi finals of domestic tournaments:

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Barnsley

Birmingham

Blackburn

Bolton

Bradford

Burnley

Cardiff

Chelsea

Crystal Palace

Derby

Everton

Hull

Ipswich

Liverpool

Man City

Man United

Millwall

Portsmouth

Sheffield United

Spurs

Stoke

sunderland

Swansea

West Brom

West Ham

Wigan

The current Premier League clubs are in bold - 16 of them.

Of the other 4, one (Fulham) has played in a major European final. They've also played in two FA Cup quarter finals since 2007.

Two (Southampton and Norwich) have only very recently been promoted having worked their way up from the 3rd tier, giving them something of a pass, and yet both have gotten further in one of the cups than us since promotion - Southampton to the 5th round of the FA Cup, Norwich to a League Cup QF - something we last managed in the season before Ashley arrived.

And the other club is us. We've not been past the fourth round of any domestic competition in the last seven years.

But, no, Ian's right. We treat the cups EXACTLY the same as every other club.

Would many clubs do it having shown they were capable of 5th? Or would they say at that standard we should have a manager that can deal with Europe without it affecting our chances of survival in the league? That's quite a drop.

Surely the issue is the acceptance of a set up that even allows those concerns, not them openly stating them?

Since Mike Ashley took control, the following clubs have competed in semi finals of domestic tournaments:

But, no, Ian's right. We treat the cups EXACTLY the same as every other club.

I don't disagree our recent record is crap. That depresses me as much as anyone else. Well, almost as much.

But you're mistaking the outcome for the intention. I'm pretty sure if we'd muddled through a couple of extra rounds here and there we would have started taking it more seriously like most clubs do when the final is in sight.

Yeah, makes far more sense to consider what could have happened over what did happen.

Well you're dismissing it as if it's a joke, but you obviously have to consider the input right?

Otherwise any talk about ambition, work rate, tactics etc is pointless, you may as well just list the results and make do with that. I think everyone would agree that doesn't tell the whole story in sport.

We don't have to "muddle through" anything, we just need to turn up when we're playing the likes of Stevenage and Cardiff. You're talking as though the initial rounds are just pot luck and teams only begin trying when they can sniff the semi-final.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying many teams play weaker sides in the cup and a lot of the time they get knocked out. Other times they make it to a point where they start wanting the cup more and act accordingly.

Guest bimpy474

Our team is prepared by a manager not taking the games seriously, as he cant cope with two games a week or extra games other than league ones, for a club run by people who dont want to be in the cups because it's not worth it financially.

What more is there to see to know that's the truth. The evidence is there, as plain as the nose on your face.

Guest neesy111

Why aren't we capable of putting weaker sides out and still get through like many other PL sides can do?

Guest bimpy474

Why aren't we capable of putting weaker sides out and still get through like many other PL sides can do?

Because their managers handle the games far better than our limited one.

'Muddle through'. Fuck me, we're a professional sports team.

Just take the competition seriously and genuinely try to get as far as possible, especially this season. After whacking Stoke on Boxing Day we had 33 points on the board with another 20 league games to play, there's no excuse for having to muddle through past the worst team in the league at home. I left the ground that day almost convinced we deliberately threw it. To take the lead with less than half an hour to go and still lose stinks. The attitude and mentality was totally and utterly wrong and that comes from the manager.

We don't have to "muddle through" anything, we just need to turn up when we're playing the likes of Stevenage and Cardiff. You're talking as though the initial rounds are just pot luck and teams only begin trying when they can sniff the semi-final.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying many teams play weaker sides in the cup and a lot of the time they get knocked out. Other times they make it to a point where they start wanting the cup more and act accordingly.

I doubt many teams in the mid to lower half of the league consistently play weakened sides to their Premiership rivals and send the kids out to sides a league below them with the intention of "taking it easy for 70 minutes" like.