Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

What have we been disagreeing about for the last hour then?

Do you honestly believe that the opposing view in this entire debate has been about other sides not resting players in the cups?

I don't know, I was saying our priorities are the same as others' and a lot of people seemed to take exception to that.

Guest tollemache

Because they read it as, "It is completely ok for us not to care about the cups" or, "Pardew and Ashley are not utter, evil scum" or something

Because they read it as, "It is completely ok for us not to care about the cups" or, "Pardew and Ashley are not utter, evil scum" or something

Essentially.

I made a post stating Pards/Ashleys views werent valid, Ian replied stating many clubs think similarly. It comes across as a defence of them.

The problem being when Wullie posted evidence showing we do far worse in cups, so they do deserve blame its not just a "football problem". Ian just repeated our approach is the same & he didnt understand our poorer results. Last few pages has just been people stating its not a coincidence, they are failing somewhere (Kaspers post was best) & you guys repeating other teams drop players continually.

Ian, you essentially said that we're happy to just muddle through the opening stages of the cups if possible and then take them seriously when the final is in sight, and that many clubs are the same. Fuck knows what trollmache is going on about like.

I think it's pretty clear that, even though most clubs will rest (or rotate) players when playing inferior opposition, few go in with the clear ambivalence that we do. We dropped Remy and Cabaye against Man City at home for god's sake.

Guest tollemache

Essentially.

I made a post stating Pards/Ashleys views werent valid, Ian replied stating many clubs think similarly. It comes across as a defence of them.

The problem being when Wullie posted evidence showing we do far worse in cups, so they do deserve blame its not just a "football problem". Ian just repeated our approach is the same & he didnt understand our poorer results. Last few pages has just been people stating its not a coincidence, they are failing somewhere (Kaspers post was best) & you guys repeating other teams drop players continually.

If we drop players to about the same extent as other clubs in the cups, then how else do you think our supposed inferior approach is manifesting itself? Are we suggesting that the second-string players we select aren't trying as hard as the second-string players of other clubs? That we're somehow not asking them to? I'm intrigued as to how people think you make measurably less effort in the cups, other than by resting players.

If we drop players to about the same extent as other clubs in the cups, then how else do you think our supposed inferior approach is manifesting itself? Are we suggesting that the second-string players we select aren't trying as hard as the second-string players of other clubs? That we're somehow not asking them to? I'm intrigued as to how people think you make measurably less effort in the cups, other than by resting players.

The most important measurable result that points to less effort in the cups is the one that counts, the actual result.

Guest tollemache

I'm asking you specifically how you think that result happened. If we rested players to about the same extent as other clubs (which we did) then what is it that we did differently to bring it about?

I'm asking you specifically how you think that result happened. If we rested players to about the same extent as other clubs (which we did) then what is it that we did differently to bring it about?

We don't give a shit about the cups and the players know that, that's reflected in the results.

Guest tollemache

Anyway, whatever it is, it's shit and so is resting players. Just imagine - if we actually played a full strength XI in every round, the chances of us coming up against another full-strength side more than once or twice before the final would actually be pretty slim.

Guest bimpy474

I would say more of the blame lies with Pardew in the last few years, despite decent FA Cup draws we have been repeatedly beaten because we are sent out with tactics not to lose. It doesn't matter so much the players picked, if you send a team out against a lower league team with that attitude, a lower league team will sense it and smell blood.

And that's why Pardew gets so much grief, there's not a reason in the world for the manager of a Premiership team to try to get his team to 70 minutes and then try to nick something against inferior teams, we've seen it over and over again against crap teams in the Premiership so it's nothing new from him. Straight away the team itself are already playing defensive, their mindset is completely wrong from the off.

Now that's Pardew, added to the fact the regime at this club aren't interested in the cups, it gives him all the excuses if his defensive shit doesn't work. Hence so many excuse from him, utter coward of a manager scared of weaker teams, he's pathetic.

Guest bimpy474

Which year was it that Pardew said he was going to Brighton in the cup hoping for a draw? :lol:

The second game i think.

Pardew played for the draw as he usually does.

When he's publically saying he'd take a draw before the game, you have to wonder if that attitude fed down to the players.

:mystery:

on the cup thing i think it's become very clear pardew is almost incapable of managing a squad beyond his favoured 11-12 players so when forced to bring in reserves or choosing to do so he's unable to integrate them effectively, and probably unable to motivate them as they'll know no matter what they do they're unlikely to change his opinion of them and break into the first team, see vurnon anita for more information

this combined with what others have said about the club and manager telling anyone who'll listen that the cups aren't a priority etc. and you've got a recipe for abject shitness over a period of time

the difference with other clubs, as i see it, is that while they may not privately prioritise the cups and may rotate their squads the majority of them have managers who are actually able to rotate players properly, thus the players coming in have something to prove and play accordingly at least from time to time

makes dropping our better players vs. man city even more laughable tbh