Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

- No revenue from Sports Direct but their advertising is only present to fill boardings that would otherwise be blank!

How the hell they had the gall to say that, I have no idea. Such bollocks. :lol:

I hope N-O is planning to buy a board or two.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/offer-made-to-pay-for-removal-of-free-sports-direct-adverts-at-st-james-park/

:thup:

Could really backfire on the club that statement. I'd like to see loads of local businesses ask the club to buy a board for next to nowt and publicise being knocked back (assuming they are, which they will be).

I took note at the Leeds game of just how widespread it is and it's staggering if you stop to look around. There's almost nothing at the ground that isn't either Mike Ashley's company or the loan company, and the absolute vast vast majority is the former.

It's even worse this season compared to last. There's about 6 boards that aren't SD, Wonga or Puma.

Yea, it must be fun working in our commercial department.

They clearly do fuck all.

It's so obvious is barely merits saying, but what utter bollocks.  Bury have individuals sponsoring players just to have their names in the programme all season.  Companies sponsor a player's socks.  And we can't find anyone willing to pay any money to have their logo in the background of a Premier League game against Man United, broadcast all over the world, live, on highlights and photographed in every paper?  They're just placeholders, just there to fill a gap, but they're regularly worked on and changed to advertise in French and plug their new European operations or whatever?

What a load of shit.  Next time someone says Ashley doesn't take money out of the club, think of all the advertising revenue we've lost through this scam, and how much healthier his Sports Direct account is from not needing to outlay a penny to get this level of exposure.

It's fairly obvious now isn't it?

1) premiership survival

2) raid the January bargain bucket for essential players

3) Allow the club to run at break even

4) Plaster the club with free advertising

5) Rake in the benefits of tacky SD revenue increase where he has no one to answer to

6) Rinse and repeat

It's depressing and frustrating, there's nothing can be done, he won't sell up with that kind of exposure when his real passion is reaping all those rewards.

It's fairly obvious now isn't it?

1) premiership survival

2) raid the January bargain bucket for essential players

3) Allow the club to run at break even

4) Plaster the club with free advertising

5) Rake in the benefits of tacky SD revenue increase where he has no one to answer to

6) Rinse and repeat

It's depressing and frustrating, there's nothing can be done, he won't sell up with that kind of exposure when his real passion is reaping all those rewards.

The worst thing that can happen is that we do OK (decent result here and there ect.) tbh as loads of people are more than content with dull mediocrity and can't stop going to matches for selfish reasons (see: this forum. ) and thus the poison lingers and the rot sets in. If it takes a catastrophe (another relegation or whatever ) to rid the club of this s*** then I'm all for it.

I think more awareness could do with being raised about this advertising mularky, I'll ring in Total Sport about it this week, if I can.

It is a 'scam' - no doubt about it. Unforunately Newcastle is now just a part of Sports Direct, with the club receiving no benefit from that 'partnership'.

I'd wonder if this would be affected by anti-competition laws.  As far as I know none of SD's competitors can receive millions of pounds worth of worldwide exposure free each year.

worst argument ever tbh, all they have to do is spend 250m on a PL football club and heyho there you go

I'd wonder if this would be affected by anti-competition laws.  As far as I know none of SD's competitors can receive millions of pounds worth of worldwide exposure free each year.

worst argument ever tbh, all they have to do is spend 250m on a PL football club and heyho there you go

Sports Direct haven't spent a penny on a PL football club.

i understand your point like, but there's probably nothing anywhere to say that a club has to charge for advertising - it's not obligatory, it's their choice as a business to maximise commercial revenue or not

not sure if conflict of interest is applicable in anyway, 'cause it quite clearly is a conflict of interests :lol:

i understand your point like, but there's probably nothing anywhere to say that a club has to charge for advertising - it's not obligatory, it's their choice as a business to maximise commercial revenue or not

not sure if conflict of interest is applicable in anyway, 'cause it quite clearly is a conflict of interests :lol:

Yeah, I agree it's tenuous but as SD and NUFC are separate entities the argument could be made that there is collusion between the two parties to engender an unfair advantage in the market place.

Yeah, I agree it's tenuous but as SD and NUFC are separate entities the argument could be made that there is collusion between the two parties to engender an unfair advantage in the market place.

has ashley left anyone around in the sports merchandise sector to be able to complain? :lol:

he's just about decimated the lot hasn't he?

has ashley left anyone around in the sports merchandise sector to be able to complain? :lol:

he's just about decimated the lot hasn't he?

Since he took over NUFC he has.  The free advertising and brand exposure obviously did nothing for them though.

The meeting with the Malaysians went well but they wanted 6 weeks to do due diligence. The offer from the other party at Freshfields waived that right and was a better deal. I was told that the man behind the deal was Mike Ashley and I sat with his representatives over 3 days thrashing out a deal. I was keen to know why they wanted the club and they were quite honest. They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the Club to help do this.

He bought the club as an advertising vehicle.  Whether or not you disputed SJH's words at the time I think it's clear now what his intentions were and are.

well, that's what he told SJH - i think there's more to the rumour he was buying to flip it and that fell through, if not why did it take so long for the advertising thing to become so prominent?  it's not like he gives a fuck what anyone thinks

Possible the club had contracts that needed to be honoured.  I don't know.  Track the decline in advertising revenue over his tenure.

I think more awareness could do with being raised about this advertising mularky, I'll ring in Total Sport about it this week, if I can.

It is a 'scam' - no doubt about it. Unforunately Newcastle is now just a part of Sports Direct, with the club receiving no benefit from that 'partnership'.

What do B365 pay for their shirt and stadium advertising at Stoke?

What do B365 pay for their shirt and stadium advertising at Stoke?

A "substantial seven-figure deal", but no specific numbers released as far as I can see.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-bet365-shirts-Stoke-City/story-16022167-detail/story.html#axzz2gI5aIRa7

"We received a number of offers from potential sponsors, but bet365 were the highest bidders."

Funny, I was expecting "No-one was really interested, if they hadn't come along we'd just have left everything blank"