Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest reefatoon

It also highlights the misinformation and all the contradictions coming out of the club.

- Can't afford players because it will mean using our overdraft but in that meeting, they say the finances are healthy.

- Main priority to hold on to existing players rather than buy but spent all Summer going on about how they want to buy x players.

- No revenue from Sports Direct but their advertising is only present to fill boardings that would otherwise be blank!

- Heard before that they perceive the Cups to be a nuisance but they say they wil be used to utilise the squad when Pardew says he wants to play the strongest team.

Yep, will be interesting to see what team Pardew picks.  Hopefully he will go with a strong team and hoy two fingers up at the ambitionless c***s in charge of our club. . . . . Or he will bend over hoy his pants down ready for the puppet masters fist and play the bairns.

- No revenue from Sports Direct but their advertising is only present to fill boardings that would otherwise be blank!

How the hell they had the gall to say that, I have no idea. Such bollocks. :lol:

That doesn't sound like an actual quote, even from us. Amazing if it is.

How the hell they had the gall to say that, I have no idea. Such bollocks. :lol:

From the report - They were asked if Sports Direct paid for adverting at St. James' Park and it was confirmed that they do not. John Irving said that Sports Direct were using space that would be otherwise unused but didn't say how hard the commercial team were trying to find other (paying) advertisers

Guest reefatoon

From the report - They were asked if Sports Direct paid for adverting at St. James' Park and it was confirmed that they do not. John Irving said that Sports Direct were using space that would be otherwise unused but didn't say how hard the commercial team were trying to find other (paying) advertisers

Really is staggering as at some points, the only advertising you see is Sports Direct!  They are not pushing because they want that space clogged up with Mike's shit shop.

He clearly doesn't give a shit. Sunderland have signed a rated manager, we signed Joe Kinnear to be Ashley's drinking buddy. Just as well the Sunderland fixture's away from home because you can bet Ashley wouldn't have been within 100 miles if it had been at home.

Guest neesy111

Read the report. :lol:

Wallace is just making bullet points from it.

Jesus. Do themselves no favours with stuff like that.

It also highlights the misinformation and all the contradictions coming out of the club.

- Can't afford players because it will mean using our overdraft but in that meeting, they say the finances are healthy.

- Main priority to hold on to existing players rather than buy but spent all Summer going on about how they want to buy x players.

- Heard before that they perceive the Cups to be a nuisance but they say they wil be used to utilise the squad when Pardew says he wants to play the strongest team.

Yep, will be interesting to see what team Pardew picks.  Hopefully he will go with a strong team and hoy two fingers up at the ambitionless c***s in charge of our club. . . . . Or he will bend over hoy his pants down ready for the puppet masters fist and play the bairns.

He said a very similar line to the quote from the directors in the NUST report during his pre-match press conference re: using the cups to look at his whole squad. Almost word for word.

the £18million short term loan he was due to take back this year is being rolled over to future years. The long term loan of £111million will stay in the accounts but there is no definition of long term. This means that our only significant debts are the interest free debts to Mike Ashley.

That's the only bit that came as news to me.  It's still very unclear though.  Doesn't sound like the £111m loan will now become a £129m loan which would have been the preferred approach for fans.  There's no clue as to how long the £18m repayment will be deferred for.

Has he used it for the January spending this year and want it back in full next year? 

Will he be taking £6m a year for 3 years instead of all in one fell swoop?

These are the only important questions to me because as long as we're paying him back, the cost of relegation is still inhibiting our spending power.  Ashley's mistakes from 08/09 are still costing the club in terms of forward momentum 5 years down the line.

the £18million short term loan he was due to take back this year is being rolled over to future years. The long term loan of £111million will stay in the accounts but there is no definition of long term. This means that our only significant debts are the interest free debts to Mike Ashley.

That's the only bit that came as news to me.  It's still very unclear though.  Doesn't sound like the £111m loan will now become a £129m loan which would have been the preferred approach for fans.  There's no clue as to how long the £18m repayment will be deferred for.

Has he used it for the January spending this year and want it back in full next year? 

Will he be taking £6m a year for 3 years instead of all in one fell swoop?

These are the only important questions to me because as long as we're paying him back, the cost of relegation is still inhibiting our spending power.  Ashley's mistakes from 08/09 are still costing the club in terms of forward momentum 5 years down the line.

Actually the "cost of relegation" was more or less covered by the sale of Martins, Bassong, Duff & Beye, plus money still to come in from Milner, Given & N'Zogbia. There was almost no cashflow deficit in the Championship season.

Prior to relegation however, the club built up a £36m overdraft (from £11m on takeover), and when we were relegated the bank demanded it was reduced back down to £10m. So Ashley was forced to loan the club the £26m plus £3m from another short term loan already in the accounts. This is the £29m (now £18m) which is being talked about as the short term loan.

The increase in the overdraft in the first place was largely due to Ashley's desire from the off to pay for players up front while selling in instalments, which obviously hits the cashflow while transitioning to that setup.

Interesting article: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2006/nov/04/retail

IT'S OLD.

'Britain's answer to Howard Hughes' poised to step out of shadows for sports store coup

In an industry heaving with exhibitionists and showmen, Mike Ashley is a reclusive, rarely glimpsed figure. The billionaire owner of more than 300 discount sports shops, and household names such as Dunlop Slazenger and Lonsdale, is never interviewed or photographed. Not even his own staff know what he looks like.

Today, Ashley, the founder and 100% owner of Sports World International, stands on the brink of expanding his retail empire still further. City retail analysts believe that he could be about to bid up to £200m to buy Blacks Leisure - the company behind 400 Blacks, Millets and O'Neill stores.

The deal threatens to catapult him into the limelight, however, and that is exactly where he doesn't want to be.

Ashley, 41, employs more than 8,000 staff in a chain stretching from Penzance to Aberdeen, and has expanded into Ireland, Belgium and Slovenia. He is now placed at 54th on the Sunday Times Rich List - jumping from 101st last year.

He is an intensely private person, who never attends industry functions or gives interviews. Only one photograph of him - as a teenage squash player - has been published. Philip Beresford, who compiles the annual Sunday Times list, said neither he nor his staff had ever managed to contact Ashley, and described him as "easily Britain's answer to the late Howard Hughes".

The Guardian's efforts to reach him via the group's headquarters in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, have also proved unsuccessful.

Ashley's reasons for wanting such seclusion are unclear. His start in business was conventional enough: after leaving school at 16, he began trading on the high street, opening sport shops in and around London. By 1990, he had three outlets, trading under the Sports Soccer name. Over the next decade, he opened about 100 more.

In 2002, he acquired Lillywhites in Piccadilly Circus, London, and turned it from a genteel store, much loved by the croquet and tennis set, into a pile-it-high, sell-it-cheap bazaar.

He has also acquired brands - often those regarded as has-been labels in financial trouble. He bought the rights to the tennis and golf brand Donnay and the boxing label Lonsdale. In 2004, he snapped up Dunlop Slazenger and the rucksacks and hiking brand Karrimor.

His winning strategy at Sports World has been to pull in shoppers with huge discounts on prestige brands such as Reebok, Adidas and Nike, sometimes selling them as loss leaders. Once in the stores, customers then spend on Ashley's own brands, which have been stretched so far that the Lonsdale boxing label now adorns pink velour tracksuits for toddlers. These generate far higher profit margins.

He has caused big problems for his main rivals, JJB Sports and JD Sports. His discounting formula means that "every time a Sports World opens near a JJB, the JJB gets killed", said one analyst.

It was Ashley who turned whistleblower to report his rivals to the Office of Fair Trading for fixing the price of replica football shirts. This eventually led to dawn raids and multimillion-pound fines. The Sports World boss acted after being summoned to the Cheshire home of David Hughes, the chairman of the now-defunct Allsports chain, in 2000 to discuss the pricing of a new Manchester United kit. It was, by all accounts, not an easy meeting. Another northern businessman there, Dave Whelan, the chairman of Wigan Athletic football club and the JJB chain, first mistook the casual Ashley for a gardener and then reportedly told him: "There's a club in the north son, and you're not part of it."

But, in or out of the club, Ashley's business formula clearly works. Last year, according to accounts filed at Companies House, Sports World International raked in sales of more than £900m and profits of nearly £75m. If floated on the stock exchange the business could be valued at about £1bn. Yet it has been built without bank finance.

Ashley grew up in Burnham, Buckinghamshire, where his parents still live in a modest bungalow. At Burnham Grammar School, staff recall a well-behaved boy - not academic, but no fool - who stood out because of his clear sense of purpose and because he was interested in business.

Margaret Fleet, the deputy head, says: "Most kids are fairly malleable. You can kind of subtly change their views about things. Mike was different. I remember him having quite strong views about things and being quite determined. It doesn't surprise me that he has gone on to be successful.

"I remember him talking to his friends about his Saturday job in a sportswear shop, and talking about how one day he would own the shop."

At 24, Ashley married Linda Jerlmyr, a Swedish property developer, and they had three children. When she divorced him 14 years later, he quietly agreed one of the biggest settlements in British legal history, reportedly handing over property and assets worth £50m.

Until 1999, he worked as a sole trader, which exempted him from filing accounts and preserved his privacy.

A bid for Blacks could change all that although, on the evidence so far, it looks unlikely. He used complex derivatives trades to hide the fact he was buying shares in the struggling Blacks business. He now owns more than 29%, and under City rules would have to launch a full bid if he buys any more. Some commentators believe that he is preparing to buy Blacks, inject Sports World into it and finally become the public face of a public company.

Others reckon nothing could be further from his mind. "There's no way he will do that," said one retail executive who knows Ashley. He believes that the Sports World boss is only interested in the trendy boardwear brands inside the Blacks empire - O'Neill, Mambo and Freespirit - and that he would sell on Blacks and Millets, possibly to buyers he has already sounded out.

Others think his interest in Blacks will simply disappear, as it has with others. Last year he bought 19% of JD and 10% of JJB - no doubt to Whelan's horror - and rumours swirled that he was ready to bid before he let the shares go.

Whatever happens, the odds are that Ashley will attempt to continue to guard his privacy. He remains anonymous, even to many of his staff. At Lillywhites yesterday, nobody knew his name. "Mike Ashley? I don't know, I'll ask my manager," said one assistant. "Sorry, never heard of him. We're owned by some bloke who has all the sports shops. What's he look like? Haven't a clue."

The secretive billionaire is thought to live alone in a large house on the edge of a Hertfordshire village. The building is hidden by trees, and CCTV cameras keep watch over the locked gates at the entrance to the half-mile drive.

Ashley's neighbours say they never see him. At the nearby pub, nobody has heard of him. When the local newspaper attempted to find out more about him a few months ago, they eventually resorted to placing an advert in their own pages appealing for information.

No one responded.

The secretive billionaire is thought to live alone in a large house on the edge of a Hertfordshire village. The building is hidden by trees, and CCTV cameras keep watch over the locked gates at the entrance to the half-mile drive.

I bet the fat cunt has got a little sex-slave girl in there. :hmm:

I hope N-O is planning to buy a board or two.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/offer-made-to-pay-for-removal-of-free-sports-direct-adverts-at-st-james-park/

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/offer-made-to-pay-for-removal-of-free-sports-direct-adverts-at-st-james-park/

:thup:

Could really backfire on the club that statement. I'd like to see loads of local businesses ask the club to buy a board for next to nowt and publicise being knocked back (assuming they are, which they will be).

I took note at the Leeds game of just how widespread it is and it's staggering if you stop to look around. There's almost nothing at the ground that isn't either Mike Ashley's company or the loan company, and the absolute vast vast majority is the former.

:thup:

Could really backfire on the club that statement. I'd like to see loads of local businesses ask the club to buy a board for next to nowt and publicise being knocked back (assuming they are, which they will be).

I took note at the Leeds game of just how widespread it is and it's staggering if you stop to look around. There's almost nothing at the ground that isn't either Mike Ashley's company or the loan company, and the absolute vast vast majority is the former.

It's even worse this season compared to last. There's about 6 boards that aren't SD, Wonga or Puma.