Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

And as a further example, when the away fans don't fill their section he even has a Sports Direct tarpaulin placed over the adjacent seats, just so that it gets on the footage if the opposition score and the cameras track up there. Why do that for nothing? Why do the stupid .fr electronic advertising when we were in the Europa League? Has Sports Direct bought up all the sports shops in Europe as well?

I wonder why Chevrolet wasted $559 million sponsoring Man U?

I wonder why Mike Ashley wastes money himself on TV advertising, etc. :lol: The free stuff's doing him no good though.

Oh dear. So advertising on TV is the same as doing what he's done at SJP.

It's marketing mate, you either believe in it or you don't.  It's generally a risk and reward thing but not so much if you're not paying anything for it.  Or are you saying you believe in the effect of TV advertising but not advertising in football grounds (which appears on TV every week) and also not publicity (again a platform for which is TV).  It's just TV advertising that's worth paying for and will drive revenue?  Are you even keeping track of which forms of marketing you deem effective?  It seems awfully ironic that a poster that's sympathised with Mike Ashley over the years thinks the ways that he's milked the club at no cost to himself have actually had no positive effect on his business.  Just seems like a bizarre opinion and one that could be used to justify him continuing to take money out of the club for his loan while the squad is left short, when others are saying that actually that's a bit rich considering the vehicle we give him to market his other company at no cost.

The global reach of the premier league makes this type of advertising great for sports direct. In the UK market it makes no difference as dominance is already achieved. In foreign markets it will be a huge help in gaining brand recognition and expanding. The other thing is the foreign viewers will only see the advert and wouldn't necessarily  know about the negative view domestically. How many millions is this actually worth?

Advertising works when properly targetted.

I think that Ashley's involvement with NUFC is widely viewed negatively, and his forcing of the Sports Direct brand on to SJP especially so. I don't think the NUFC Sports Direct advertising has done anything for SD. There must be many thousands of NUFC fans who hate the sight of the words Sports Direct on for a start. The company has a virtual monopoly in its market and that is why it has grown to be the monster that it is today. Thats it really.

Guest bimpy474

I think that Ashley's involvement with NUFC is widely viewed negatively, and his forcing of the Sports Direct brand on to SJP especially so. I don't think the NUFC Sports Direct advertising has done anything for SD. There must be many thousands of NUFC fans who hate the sight of the words Sports Direct on for a start. The company has a virtual monopoly in its market and that is why it has grown to be the monster that it is today. Thats it really.

You're overestimating peoples opinion tbh. He sells stuff that cheap that parents are drawn to it. Aye Newcastle fans hate him and wont use it but unfortunately the rest of the country couldn't care less.

And a fair chunk of people in the country aren't football fans, cheap is attractive whatever guise it's in.

The global reach of the premier league makes this type of advertising great for sports direct. In the UK market it makes no difference as dominance is already achieved. In foreign markets it will be a huge help in gaining brand recognition and expanding. The other thing is the foreign viewers will only see the advert and wouldn't necessarily  know about the negative view domestically. How many millions is this actually worth?

I take that point. Although I don't see the club as being a big enough pull internationally for it to have much effect there is clearly some value. It would be greater if the club were more successful. 

People know Primark has its clothes made in deathtrap factories that collapse and kill thousands of people, they know BP have been responsible for major environmental disasters, they know Nestle employ children and they know Tesco put horse in the beef.

To suggest that people might be put off Sports Direct by thinking negatively of Mike Ashley's ownership of NUFC is risible. :lol:

I find it amusing that you mocked my point about TV advertising when a 10 year old could have seen the point I was I was trying to make then.

Why does he bother with TV advertising if the reason for SD's success is having a monopoly of the market and "that's it really".  It's quite expensive, he could be saving himself a lot of money by not bothering.  I'm not sure if you're just doing this because you've dug a hole or you genuinely believe marketing isn't all it's cracked up to be unless you're a start-up brand or have a specific offer to plug.

You're overestimating peoples opinion tbh. He sells stuff that cheap that parents are drawn to it. Aye Newcastle fans hate him and wont use it but unfortunately the rest of the country couldn't care less.

And a fair chunk of people in the country aren't football fans, cheap is attractive whatever guise it's in.

To be honest though even those that hate SD will probably have to buy the stuff from there anyway, he owns the market pretty much.

Guest bimpy474

To be honest though even those that hate SD will probably have to buy the stuff from there anyway, he owns the market pretty much.

That's very true. I hate to say it but when you need things like football boots, trainers, even school clothes now it's a valid place to get them cheap, especially if you have several children. And one could say (non fans), so what about Newcastle United, the stuffs cheap.

And as someone who's bought from supposedly better shops, who's stuff should last longer for the higher price. They don't last any longer than the cheaper stuff.

You're wrong.

I find it amusing that you mocked my point about TV advertising when a 10 year old could have seen the point I was I was trying to make then.

Why does he bother with TV advertising if the reason for SD's success is having a monopoly of the market and "that's it really".  It's quite expensive, he could be saving himself a lot of money by not bothering.  I'm not sure if you're just doing this because you've dug a hole or you generally believe marketing isn't all it's cracked up to be unless you're a start-up brand or have a specific offer to plug.

Ok I'll come back to that and I do apologise for the mocking,  I was in receipt of a fair amount of mocking at the time (probably more to come tbh) and was responding in the mood of the moment  sorry :) 

If I could pick up the point at the end of your post I do believe that a lot of advertising is a waste of time (and money if you happen to pay for it) but there are companies who employ large departments who have to justify their existence. Yes advertising of start up brands and specific offers/products is essential. My point was that I see the advertising that SD does through NUFC as mostly  non specific and passive ( I don't like that word but I mean that is purely visual and not audible). TV advertising whether general or specific is audible and of course visual as well. Someone mentioned webuyanycar.com, the trick with that has clearly been the rather annoying jingle that fixes in your brain despite your best efforts to reject it. I don't see the advertising at SJP as being in the same bracket at all as TV advertising. And I can't see that the SD advertising at SJP does anything much for the company. And him doing it doesn't necassarily mean it works. There's probably more stuff I should add but thats what I've got right now.   

If Ashley is as astute a businessman as some would have you believe, he wouldn't be wasting time and effort mocking the stadium up over the course of several years like he has for no return. Unless as I said, it's purely out of spite. Which I can quite believe of course.

You're wrong.

Fine. You don't often get to change people's opinions on internet forums.  It's my opinion and I have tried to explain it, can't do much more.

You're wrong.

Fine. You don't often get to change people's opinions on internet forums.  It's my opinion and I have tried to explain it, can't do much more.

I'm just totally baffled by it tbh, you're even drawing a distinction between what he's done to SJP and TV advertising, it is TV advertising.

Actually I work in below-the-line marketing so I can point to the positive effects of our activity on behalf of clients and show how the spend increased revenue compared to a control group who weren't exposed to the campaign.  In other words it's measurable.  Measuring the effects of above-the-line marketing is admittedly far more tricky - and everyone realises that - but there aren't many people in the industry who think it has no effect at all, it's more about whether return on investment makes it worth it.  Certainly companies such as Coca Cola and McDonalds have built their brands on aggressive above-the-line marketing and branding/sponsorship and have never let their foot off the gas.  To say a company that sells sports gear probably hasn't benefitted from having a platform to advertise to a huge market that is more likely to buy sports gear than most other markets needs to be justified by more than a hunch IMO.

You're wrong.

I'm just totally baffled by it tbh, you're even drawing a distinction between what he's done to SJP and TV advertising, it is TV advertising.

I tried to explain that in my response to Polic above.

Nothing personal but you're an accountant IIRC?  You seem a bit cynical about the value of marketing, I wouldn't have a job if people like you had their way. :lol:

And vice versa  :lol:

:lol: Aye probably, I'd personally just try to have a laugh and hope for the best in terms of finances.  That's not a joke.