Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I can't agree with you. You're arguing that advertising is pointless - it's an outrageous argument.

I'm only speaking from a personal point of view but I don't watch a match in our stadium and see their signs and suddenly think 'I must pick those cheap shin pads up next time I'm passing SD', in the same way I don't think 'I must change to Barclays Bank' every time I hear about the Premiership or neck a can of Carling every time I hear about the 'Carling Cup'.

Perhaps it's part of a wider SD campaign (?) but I think it's affect would be negligible in terms of the bigger picture footfall numbers.

That business, in the midst of a recession, was only ever going to grow and rapidly at that. A blind man could see it. Cheap stuff when people have less money, during Olympic time etc. I don't think a boat load of banners at the ground had any bearing on that.

It's not meant to be hypnotizing you into immediately dropping a couple grand on Lonsdale Boxers, it's giving you an awareness of the company. So when it comes to you needing X, the first thing you think of is Sports Direct.

It's the same as that WEBUYANYCAR bullshit. You hear that filthy f***ing advert on the radio, and you hate every c*** responsible for it. But then as soon as you want to get rid of your 30 year old Vauxhall Nova, WEBUYANYCAR DOT COM WEBUYANYCAR DOT COM WEBUYANYCAR DOT COM ANY ANY ANY ANY

Understand that but does a brand that's xxx% cheaper than anyone else in their market, on every street corner, in a sector where they've pretty much got the monopoly actually need the exposure he's gained from NUFC, including all the negative stuff too and is that actually dragging more people through the doors than if it weren't the case?

Edit - surely £200m could buy loads more 'exposure' if it's required?

How many people watch Premier League football? The amount of exposure is phenomenal. By owning a Football Club he is hitting his target audience. A sports stadium/club is the best place to advertise a sports shop.

I can't agree with you. You're arguing that advertising is pointless - it's an outrageous argument.

I'm only speaking from a personal point of view but I don't watch a match in our stadium and see their signs and suddenly think 'I must pick those cheap shin pads up next time I'm passing SD', in the same way I don't think 'I must change to Barclays Bank' every time I hear about the Premiership or neck a can of Carling every time I hear about the 'Carling Cup'.

Perhaps it's part of a wider SD campaign (?) but I think it's affect would be negligible in terms of the bigger picture footfall numbers.

That business, in the midst of a recession, was only ever going to grow and rapidly at that. A blind man could see it. Cheap stuff when people have less money, during Olympic time etc. I don't think a boat load of banners at the ground had any bearing on that.

It's not meant to be hypnotizing you into immediately dropping a couple grand on Lonsdale Boxers, it's giving you an awareness of the company. So when it comes to you needing X, the first thing you think of is Sports Direct.

It's the same as that WEBUYANYCAR bullshit. You hear that filthy f***ing advert on the radio, and you hate every c*** responsible for it. But then as soon as you want to get rid of your 30 year old Vauxhall Nova, WEBUYANYCAR DOT COM WEBUYANYCAR DOT COM WEBUYANYCAR DOT COM ANY ANY ANY ANY

Understand that but does a brand that's xxx% cheaper than anyone else in their market, on every street corner, in a sector where they've pretty much got the monopoly actually need the exposure he's gained from NUFC, including all the negative stuff too and is that actually dragging more people through the doors than if it weren't the case?

As already explained, I used to by sports equipment from online stores and the odd time JJB. Now, I don't think twice about it - straight to SD. This isn't by chance.

JJB is gone and SD (I assume, don't shop there) is probably the cheapest outlet online for this stuff? Surely you would've stumbled upon it anyway - no?

I would have continued to use Pro Direct Soccer. Without the adverts I never shopped there, with the adverts I regularly go there. It isn't rocket science - why do you think so much money is spent on advertising if we'd all just 'stumble upon it anyway'?

:mackems:

On the more general subject, it's easy to see why it is in Ashleys interests to keep NUFC revenues as low as possible whilst maximising SD revenues by whatever dirty tricks he can manage.

That way he can keep us owing him a hundred million whilst boosting the profits and share price of SD. Also, it justifies nil expenditure at NUFC.

Man's an utter shitcunt, and anyone who willingly gives him another single penny needs their head looked at.

The less we make in profit and the more he can use us to make money for Sports Direct, the less money he has to justify "trousering" to service the debt that saved us.

It's starting to come together now.

That's exactly it.

I know I keep banging this drum but Sports Direct share price rose to an all time high today of over £7 a pop, 20 times more valuable than the day he bought NUFC.

I'm with you on that to a degree, but also must point out that NUFC alone hasn't seen the share price multiply by 20 and this is why you keep seeing people like Ian jumping on your point and trivialising it.  There are other factors in it of course, and I don't have loads of knowledge on this, but you'd guess the fact SD has gradually killed off many of its rivals to the extent they're not trading anymore, the economic climate driving people to cheaper goods above all else, SD stepping up other marketing/PR efforts, Ashley buying up more sportswear companies to increase profit margins, etc - it all plays a part in making SD more attractive on the stock market.

I'm sure the Newcastle connection has served them well and deserves its place as one of those factors though, especially with the global reach of the Premier League.

That was my view on it a few months back and it's still my view now.  To argue that Ashley's other company has garnered no benefit from his connection with us is pretty crazy and the only way it's not being completely laughed out is that it's sort of intangible and we'll never know how SD would have fared otherwise.

I like the idea that only new products and highly targeted campaigns can really thrive from advertising/PR like, that's a good one - somebody get on the phone to Coca-Cola, Red Bull, Pepsi, M&S, etc because you'll make a fucking fortune on consulting fees when you tell them you can cut their costs to a fraction of what they are at present without any discernable effect on their revenue/profit.

Edit - surely £200m could buy loads more 'exposure' if it's required?

£200 million gets you two Gareth Bales.  :lol:  The negative publicity for Ashley is only negative to us, most people don't give a shit about it.

As already explained, I used to by sports equipment from online stores and the odd time JJB. Now, I don't think twice about it - straight to SD. This isn't by chance.

JJB is gone and SD (I assume, don't shop there) is probably the cheapest outlet online for this stuff? Surely you would've stumbled upon it anyway - no?

I would have continued to use Pro Direct Soccer. Without the adverts I never shopped there, with the adverts I regularly go there. It isn't rocket science - why do you think so much money is spent on advertising if we'd all just 'stumble upon it anyway'?

I'm not talking about advertising more widely, more the specifics of SD given their monopoly and the discussions around MA's reason for buying us.

If we were only ever going to be an advertising vehicle, surely he would've done some proper due diligence to ensure he wasn't buying the worlds most expensive clothes horse?

I'm not talking about advertising more widely, more the specifics of SD given their monopoly and the discussions around MA's reason for buying us.

If we were only ever going to be an advertising vehicle, surely he would've done some proper due diligence to ensure he wasn't buying the worlds most expensive clothes horse?

A quick google search shows that Chanel paid $33m for a two minute commercial NINE years ago. Two minutes, two whole minutes. Whilst I'm not suggesting the Chanel is on the same level as SD - it does go to show how much advertising can cost. Ashley has had 5 years of adverts and exposure.

Sports Direct has, at times, been the main news on Sky Sports News for days on end, it made the front page of national newspapers, it made the main BBC headlines when he renamed the ground.

And that has had absolutely no effect advertising-wise? Some absolute f***ing crackers on here like.

So tell us what effect it has had? Do you think more people go into Ashley's stores because of that? Most people who offer an opinion on it think it was cheap, tacky and denigrated a great football club. Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are "f***ing crackers" btw.

More people will go into shops they've heard of, yes.

Anybody who thinks advertising doesn't work is indeed f***ing crackers.

Read my posts before launching into stuff like this, of course I don't think advertising has no effect. My point is that I don't think Ashley's use of NUFC as a promotional and advertising vehicle for has been effective. It is imo another one of many examples of him totally missing the point of this football club and, in fact, misunderstanding what football is about. A premiership club with a unique identity such as ours is the wrong medium for what he has done, not that it makes much difference as he's pretty much nailed the market anyway.     

Sports Direct has, at times, been the main news on Sky Sports News for days on end, it made the front page of national newspapers, it made the main BBC headlines when he renamed the ground.

And that has had absolutely no effect advertising-wise? Some absolute f***ing crackers on here like.

So tell us what effect it has had? Do you think more people go into Ashley's stores because of that? Most people who offer an opinion on it think it was cheap, tacky and denigrated a great football club. Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are "f***ing crackers" btw.

More people will go into shops they've heard of, yes.

Anybody who thinks advertising doesn't work is indeed f***ing crackers.

Read my posts before launching into stuff like this, of course I don't think advertising has no effect. My point is that I don't think Ashley's use of NUFC as a promotional and advertising vehicle for has been effective. It is imo another one of many examples of him totally missing the point of this football club and, in fact, misunderstanding what football is about. A premiership club with a unique identity such as ours is the wrong medium for it, not that it makes much difference as he's pretty much nailed the market anyway.     

So having his sports brand as one of the main headlines on the national news, and at several different times being mentioned on the country's only sports news channel every five minutes for days on end has had absolutely no positive effect on his business? Having his brand left, right and centre every single time Newcastle United are on television (i.e. every week) has no positive effect?

There's a lot of companies could save themselves a lot of money, the amount they're wasting on branding at Premier League grounds.

How would you say that Chevrolet compares to Sports Direct as a brand?

In what way?  I'm not sure what difference it would make anyway as both are looking to retain and boost a customer base.

I wonder why Chevrolet wasted $559 million sponsoring Man U?

I wonder why Mike Ashley wastes money himself on TV advertising, etc. :lol: The free stuff's doing him no good though.

Oh dear. So advertising on TV is the same as doing what he's done at SJP.

Guest bimpy474

How would you say that Chevrolet compares to Sports Direct as a brand?

they both peddle low quality tacky shite?

I bought a chevy you fuckhead :lol:

I wonder why Mike Ashley wastes money himself on TV advertising, etc. :lol: The free stuff's doing him no good though.

Eh?  It's the same thing.

When we're on TV at home (particularly on a Monday night I guess) he basically gets a two-hour prime time national TV advertisement for Sports Direct. It's on the main footage, virtually every replay on the night and the evening news, every angle, every still camera shot (such as when the stand makes up a background), every photograph in the local and national press the day/week afterwards and so on. And all for free. It's an unbelievable deal.

How can it possibly not help?

I'd say the exposure the brand has had over the years as part of the SSN headlines dwarfs what use it was during the ad-breaks on the same channel.

When we're on TV at home (particularly on a Monday night I guess) he basically gets a two-hour prime time national TV advertisement for Sports Direct. It's on the main footage, virtually every replay on the night and the evening news, every angle, every still camera shot (such as when the stand makes up a background), every photograph in the local and national press the day/week afterwards and so on. And all for free. It's an unbelievable deal.

How can it possibly not help?

That's it.  Unless you airbrush the logos out, it's practically impossible to get a photo of SJP without seeing SD.