Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

How is the Champions League less of a showcase to a worldwide audience than the Premiership? Am I missing something here?

The Premier League is broadcast in 212 territories around the world, working with 80 different broadcasters.

The TV audience for Premier League games is 4.7bn, and the number of homes reached last season increased 11 per cent to 643m. In total, the League clocked up 185,000 hours of TV coverage in 2010/11, an increase of 65 per cent on the previous campaign.

Champs League, or any other league for that matter, won't hit those figures.

How is the Champions League less of a showcase to a worldwide audience than the Premiership? Am I missing something here?

The Premier League is broadcast in 212 territories around the world, working with 80 different broadcasters.

The TV audience for Premier League games is 4.7bn, and the number of homes reached last season increased 11 per cent to 643m. In total, the League clocked up 185,000 hours of TV coverage in 2010/11, an increase of 65 per cent on the previous campaign.

Surely that's an imbalanced comparison though? seeing as there is 38 games a season compared to the 15 games of the CL.

Surely that's an imbalanced comparison though? seeing as there is 38 games a season compared to the 15 games of the CL.

Context, Mole. How many games do you think Celtic/Rangers will have? 8's prob the norm, 2 if they can't clear the qualifiers.

Even in the wider sense and without the help of numbers, I doubt the average CL match will match the average PL match in global viewership.

Rangers and Celtic have been competing in the Champions League for many years, and they still can't compete financially with clubs in the Premiership. That's why they're desperate to leave the Scottish League.

What's going to change if Ashley takes over?

Rangers and Celtic have been competing in the Champions League for many years, and they still can't compete financially with clubs in the Premiership. That's why they're desperate to leave the Scottish League.

More Sports Direct advertising?

Guest antz1uk

Champions league nights you can only advertIse whoever sponsor the champions league, he'd have to cover up all of his shit SD stuff which would give him less exposure than the Europa league would?

Well possibly, but the debate seems to be whether swapping us for Rangers makes any business sense. It seems to me that being a CL club in Scotland doesn't give you either a bigger revenue stream or bigger exposure, compared to a mid-table Premiership club.

Otherwise there'd be queues of people wanting to take over Rangers.

Context, Mole. How many games do you think Celtic/Rangers will have? 8's prob the norm, 2 if they can't clear the qualifiers.

Even in the wider sense and without the help of numbers, I doubt the average CL match will match the average PL match in global viewership.

Aye i wasn't sure what you meant.... i was talking about the numbers on the whole not just one team.... for Celtic and Rangers obviously not.

Champions league nights you can only advertIse whoever sponsor the champions league, he'd have to cover up all of his s*** SD stuff which would give him less exposure than the Europa league would?

Good point.

Aye i wasn't sure what you meant.... i was talking about the numbers on the whole not just one team.... for Celtic and Rangers obviously not.

My bad, should have made it clearer.

i suppose ian, the point might be that they went bankrupt and had all of their debts wiped clean by the newco and yet are still currently losing 1m a month

but yeah our case is clearly relevant

OK, whatever, still seems a bit stupid to be laughing at a club that's losing just about the same as us. Anyway, I don't really care about Rangers at all, not sure why I bothered.

i suppose ian, the point might be that they went bankrupt and had all of their debts wiped clean by the newco and yet are still currently losing 1m a month

but yeah our case is clearly relevant

OK, whatever, still seems a bit stupid to be laughing at a club that's losing just about the same as us. Anyway, I don't really care about Rangers at all, not sure why I bothered.

They are in the second division of Scotland with part-timers. We are in the premiership with a bunch of billionaires throwing money everywhere, one can clearly support losing 1m a month, one cannot. It is a silly comparison.

Since there's been a lot of talk about our revenue outside of TV money I thought it could be interesting to make a revenue minus TV money league table (all info from 2011/2012 season, which is the newest data available):

1 - Man Utd - £216m

2 - Arsenal - £160m

3 - Chelsea - £148m

4 - Man City - £143m

5 - Liverpool - £106m

6 - Spurs - £74m

7 - Newcastle Utd - £39m

8 - Villa - £34m

9 - Sunderland - £31m

10 - Everton - £28m

11 - Fulham - £28m

12 - Norwich - £25m