Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

It's sole depressing with this c*** in charge we will never be in a position to win anything. No interest in he cups and no interest in spending money (even though he is a billionaire) to try and challenge in the league. His choice as manager also demonstrates the whole attitude of where he sees the club. We are only a flag ship for his company which to no surprise has saw share prices rocket on the back of this football club. It's really hard to get excited going to the match now as you know there is no chance whatsoever that this club is wanting  to win things and that is criminal with the attendances we get. Out only hope is he will sell up but it will be a lot more than the 100 million he quoted when we went down. Rumours were that he either quoted the Man City owners a stupid price when they were first looking to invest in a club and didn't turn up to another arranged meeting. He is making a lot of money of the back of this club with the free advertising . Depressing times as I just don't see anything for a few years to come but to be moving between 8th and just above the relegation slots - that's the long term picture we have to look forward to.

I agree with this 100%. I mentioned the same thing in the game thread. If we don't get an owner who is willing to spend, the only hope we have is the EPL implementing a salary cap like all the other major sports in the U.S. The salary cap would in theory level the playing field for all clubs to be able to compete. Until either of those two things happen, not much to look forward to.

There is no suggestion a salary cap would help us though. We'd not only need to get the right players in we would need a decent coaching setup. If you support the US teams that your username suggests then you'll know that doesn't always happen.

At what point does Ashley's refusal to spend money turn into actual theft, I don't mean he should be spending £30 million every transfer window but whats the point of a club making profit if it doesn't put at least some of it back into the team, 

When do the financial results get released? I am sure they will show we have a more than healthy bank balance.

sometime around march or april typically

After the January transfer window and long enough before the summer transfer window to be forgotten about...

It's sole depressing with this c*** in charge we will never be in a position to win anything. No interest in he cups and no interest in spending money (even though he is a billionaire) to try and challenge in the league. His choice as manager also demonstrates the whole attitude of where he sees the club. We are only a flag ship for his company which to no surprise has saw share prices rocket on the back of this football club. It's really hard to get excited going to the match now as you know there is no chance whatsoever that this club is wanting  to win things and that is criminal with the attendances we get. Out only hope is he will sell up but it will be a lot more than the 100 million he quoted when we went down. Rumours were that he either quoted the Man City owners a stupid price when they were first looking to invest in a club and didn't turn up to another arranged meeting. He is making a lot of money of the back of this club with the free advertising . Depressing times as I just don't see anything for a few years to come but to be moving between 8th and just above the relegation slots - that's the long term picture we have to look forward to.

I agree with this 100%. I mentioned the same thing in the game thread. If we don't get an owner who is willing to spend, the only hope we have is the EPL implementing a salary cap like all the other major sports in the U.S. The salary cap would in theory level the playing field for all clubs to be able to compete. Until either of those two things happen, not much to look forward to.

There is no suggestion a salary cap would help us though. We'd not only need to get the right players in we would need a decent coaching setup. If you support the US teams that your username suggests then you'll know that doesn't always happen.

I support other teams than my name would suggest. But a salary cap would help in my estimation. If not a salary cap, how about a cap on the transfer fees that a team can pay in any given transfer window. That would help. It is just so sad that you can basically predict the top 4 teams every year in the EPL.

Guest snoopythewriter

Every time this thread gets bumped, I keep hoping it's by someone posting a link to a story linking some multi-billionaire buying the club.

you know we have a good side and today showed that !!  if he were to spend the money on Remy I would be happy ... today showed what we were about I think it did show that if anything possibly a good centre half maybe needed (if Colo goes)  but all the others showed what we are about .. our weakest links were there ..Willo tries hard but lacks that bit of class on the ball my heart is in my mouth every time he tries to play around with the ball "!!!!

I support other teams than my name would suggest. But a salary cap would help in my estimation. If not a salary cap, how about a cap on the transfer fees that a team can pay in any given transfer window. That would help. It is just so sad that you can basically predict the top 4 teams every year in the EPL.

The trouble is the big clubs are way too powerful to get them to sign up for things they don't want to. Uefa a shit scared of pissing them off which is why the FFP regulations are so soft.

Shame about your teams though, I guess I'm still alone as a Twins fan.

Guest Roger Kint

When do the financial results get released? I am sure they will show we have a more than healthy bank balance.

Before 1 April usually unless we submit them late again. The healthy bank balance bit isnt guaranteed(was overdrawn last accounts and Ashley will have been paid £18m during the year) at all but we should post a good profit.

Guest neesy111

Before 1 April usually unless we submit them late again. The healthy bank balance bit isnt guaranteed(was overdrawn last accounts and Ashley will have been paid £18m during the year) at all but we should post a good profit.

According to one of those fan forums with the club, we didn't pay that.

Guest Roger Kint

According to one of those fan forums with the club, we didn't pay that.

Dont remember that bit

All of the comments about Ashley and the way he is using the club are correct, but many people just don't want to see the answer because it upsets their life and that is, there has to be a boycott of STs. As long as he is getting 50,000 gates he is quite happy to sit back and take the money without having to do anything to make the 'product' more appealing to the 'customers'..i.e. the fans.

As long as people make excuses as to why this wouldn't work, yadda yadda, and keep paying, there will be NO change unless and until he decides to buy Rangers for cheap CL exposure.

People need either to accept it and not waste time moaning about it, or do something that will hit him in the pocket and withhold the dosh - that's the harsh truth of it.

All of the comments about Ashley and the way he is using the club are correct, but many people just don't want to see the answer because it upsets their life and that is, there has to be a boycott of STs. As long as he is getting 50,000 gates he is quite happy to sit back and take the money without having to do anything to make the 'product' more appealing to the 'customers'..i.e. the fans.

As long as people make excuses as to why this wouldn't work, yadda yadda, and keep paying, there will be NO change unless and until he decides to buy Rangers for cheap CL exposure.

People need either to accept it and not waste time moaning about it, or do something that will hit him in the pocket and withhold the dosh - that's the harsh truth of it.

Sad but true  :(

The harsh truth of it?

We know now that the club is only going to spend what it can generate. Start boycotting and you will be hurting the team and the club long before you hurt Ashley to the point he wants to sell up.

Guest Roger Kint

Gate reciepts are about 25% of turnover, for enough fans to leave long term to make Ashley quit isnt going to happen. Thats ignoring the obvious issue of nobody wants to buy us for the price he will want.