Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Anyone else notice the Sports Direct store in Eldon Square has closing down signs all over it? Got my hopes the cunt was closing up and doing a runner.

You equate a SD shop moving to Ashley selling NUFC? :lol:

Probaly just moving to something bigger and better. Maybe gonna knock St.James' down and build a SD megastore on the site.

It's moving to the former Peacocks/Zavvi/Virgin megastore unit on Northumberland street. SD had a disagree my with the owners of Eldon Square, they are looking to move out of all their shopping centre's. As the owners of Eldon Square also own the Metrocentre then it is possible that the Metrocentre may not have a SD store in future.

It's moving to the former Peacocks/Zavvi/Virgin megastore unit on Northumberland street. SD had a disagree my with the owners of Eldon Square, they are looking to move out of all their shopping centre's. As the owners of Eldon Square also own the Metrocentre then it is possible that the Metrocentre may not have a SD store in future.

At least we won't have to look at all the SD signage when walking down Gallowgate after the match.

I got the escalator up to Eldon square through sports direct on Saturday and when I got to the top I was literally falling over a load of cheap bags stacked at the top, what a scruffy horrible shop

Intu own far more than just Eldon Square and the Metrocentre.  Surely they're not moving out of all of these (if they're already in there)?

http://www.intugroup.co.uk/where-we-do-it/our-centres/

Intu own far more than just Eldon Square and the Metrocentre.  Surely they're not moving out of all of these (if they're already in there)?

http://www.intugroup.co.uk/where-we-do-it/our-centres/

The aim is to relocate all the stores. It maybe more difficult for the stores in malls that aren't city centre locations.

For all Ashley is a self made Billionaire, the way he has let our commercial income deteriorate is nothing short of criminal, this seasons Wonga shirt must be one of the worst selling of all time and Ashleys excuse that he can't sell advertising in the ground so he just fills up the empty space with Sports Direct stuff is total tosh.

I never believed Sir John Hall when he said "They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the Club to help do this." but I suppose he was right........................Ashley has us exactly where he wants us and he loves it.

For all Ashley is a self made Billionaire, the way he has let our commercial income deteriorate is nothing short of criminal, this seasons Wonga shirt must be one of the worst selling of all time and Ashleys excuse that he can't sell advertising in the ground so he just fills up the empty space with Sports Direct stuff is total tosh.

I never believed Sir John Hall when he said "They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the Club to help do this." but I suppose he was right........................Ashley has us exactly where he wants us and he loves it.

Apparently the Wonga kit has sold a metric shitload and commercial revenue has increased significantly in the last year.

Sounds fanciful to me, but guess we'll get to find out either way soon enough.

I believed it when SJH mentioned his intentions, and I guess at the time (probably naively) that would mean the club would have to be successful in order to help the business. Who knew it would end up being like this :(

I think Ashley's motives for buying the club were always schizophrenic. Far East promotion, buying it to sell it on quickly at a profit, showing his mates that he was a proper big time geezer.....There are probably other theories and at various times they may all have been true. As far as the Sir John Hall quote is concerned if Ashley was still serious about wanting to use NUFC to enable SD to hit the Far Eastern market he would need to make the club far more successful than it has been and turn it into a marketable global brand. He would need to compete (seriously) for the Premiership, sign up the odd marquee player, play Champions League etc - there's been no sign that he's ready to make that happen any time soon.

Yet some on here would have you believe he's not made a penny off us.

Serious question - so far do you think he's made money out of owning the club? And if so how?

He's getting millions of pounds' worth of worldwide exposure for his main interest (which coincidentally has increased in value by over 700% in the last five years) via probably the world's most popular sporting event, for free.

Just that.

Serious question - so far do you think he's made money out of owning the club? And if so how?

He's getting millions of pounds' worth of worldwide exposure for his main interest (which coincidentally has increased in value by over 700% in the last five years) via probably the world's most popular sporting event, for free.

Just that.

O0

He's getting millions of pounds' worth of worldwide exposure for his main interest (which coincidentally has increased in value by over 700% since he bought NUFC) via probably the world's most popular sporting event, for free.

Just that.

I just can't see that his ownership of us has had much to do with the growth of SD. If you look at the Sports Direct annual report you can see that he has virtually bought the entire UK market which accounts for more than 90% of their business. They basically own the UK market as a result of buying up the major brands and elimating the competition. The profit they made from international business was only about £11 million (total SD profits were about £290 million). To put it in perspective the SD international profit in 2013 was about 5% of what he has currently invested in us. Their international business is peanuts (relatively) and fwiw so far none of it comes from the Far East.

He's getting millions of pounds' worth of worldwide exposure for his main interest (which coincidentally has increased in value by over 700% since he bought NUFC) via probably the world's most popular sporting event, for free.

Just that.

I just can't see that his ownership of us has had much to do with the growth of SD. If you look at the Sports Direct annual report you can see that he has virtually bought the entire UK market which accounts for more than 90% of their business. They basically own the UK market as a result of buying up the major brands and elimating the competition. The profit they made from international business was only about £11 million (total SD profits were about £290 million). To put it in perspective the SD international profit in 2013 was about 5% of what he has currently invested in us. Their international business is peanuts (relatively) and fwiw so far none of it comes from the Far East.

Makes you wonder why he does it then when the alternative would pour money into the club. Just for a laugh perhaps.

Just that.

Makes you wonder why he does it then. Just for a laugh perhaps.

That is certainly possible. A "vanity project" was always one of the contenders.

The best scenario for us is that at some point soon he does actually decide to launch Sports Direct on the Far Eastern market and does decide to use us to help him.