Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Since he took over NUFC his own wealth and his SD brand has rocketed. We are good for MA, even if he isn't good for us.

Sports Direct's share value has increased 22 times since 2008 after experiencing a rocky start to their life on the exchanges. Might be other reasons as well, but I think NUFC has been very, very good for his SD aspirations.

Since he took over NUFC his own wealth and his SD brand has rocketed. We are good for MA, even if he isn't good for us.

Sports Direct's share value has increased 22 times since 2008 after experiencing a rocky start to their life on the exchanges. Might be other reasons as well, but I think NUFC has been very, very good for his SD aspirations.

I would say the influence of NUFC has been fairly minor TBH. He's ruthlessly smashed the competition and the economic downturn means people have to shop at bargain-basement retailers. No doubt it's been good to get his name in the papers a bit more, but not worth the money he's spent.

I would say the influence of NUFC has been fairly minor TBH. He's ruthlessly smashed the competition and the economic downturn means people have to shop at bargain-basement retailers. No doubt it's been good to get his name in the papers a bit more, but not worth the money he's spent.

You work in marketing.

You work in marketing.

What you driving at?

You work in marketing.

What you driving at?

Becoming synonymous in the press with the biggest football brand in the world (the Premier League) at one of the more historically big and interesting clubs.

"Fairly minor".  Nobody's saying it's the biggest reason and only you're bringing the idea in that it's covered his spend so far in its entirety or anywhere near.

It helps.  A lot.  If you don't agree I'm not sure why you're working in marketing, go and work in accountancy with Quayside.

In reality it's not very tangible so it helps your agenda, you can downplay it.  If marketing wasn't that big a deal he'd sell the advertising space in the ground and get real money for it, since the benefits for him of plastering Sports Direct all over the ground are "fairly minor".

Tend to agree. The two things are (fairly) coincidental iyam.

After spending fuck all in the summer of 2011, by the way.

We spent loads, for us.  Spent an actual fraction of the Carroll money, net. :fwap:

Didn't we spend like £3m net? :lol:

:lol: I'm looking at it and we didn't actually spend much.  Think you might be right. 

Cabaye, Obertan, Ba on a free.  Santon to replace the departing Enrique on a lower fee.  Am I missing someone?  I've been brainwashed.

Have any other sports merchandise companies been the main headline on Sky Sports News for days on end?

It's the same old story on here - it occurs with every single issue, people with space for only one idea in their brains.  Sports Direct's rise is due to them buying out the competition, end of story.  No more reasons allowed, especially ones that are notoriously not tangible such as increased marketing/PR.

You work in marketing.

What you driving at?

Becoming synonymous in the press with the biggest football brand in the world (the Premier League) at one of the more historically big and interesting clubs.

"Fairly minor".  Nobody's saying it's the biggest reason and only you're bringing the idea in that it's covered his spend so far in its entirety or anywhere near.

It helps.  A lot.  If you don't agree I'm not sure why you're working in marketing, go and work in accountancy with Quayside.

In reality it's not very tangible so it helps your agenda, you can downplay it.  If marketing wasn't that big a deal he'd sell the advertising space in the ground and get real money for it, since the benefits for him of plastering Sports Direct all over the ground are "fairly minor".

This. To describe it as "fairly minor" is utterly moronic. It's been absolutely the opposite, it has been pivotal to the success of SD's online boom.

You work in marketing.

What you driving at?

Well it's purely a matter of opinion isn't it? Since nobody can actually say either way. For the reasons I set out I think that the success of Sports Direct would have happened anyway.

Thanks for the career advice as well, I'll take it on board.