Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I'm just praying that he's shitting himself, just a little bit, at our current predicament. Perhaps I'm giving the man too much credit there, however.

Probably best he doesn't shit himself that much tbh, I wouldn't want him doing anything too stupid, like putting the club up for sale on eBay.

He's more likely to do that than do the sensible thing and invest in players to turn it around. I've worried myself.  :lol:

The only good thing about the club's predicament right now is that this guy will be starting to get seriously worried about the financial hammering he will get if we go down....a loss of 50m is on the cards, and it serves him right.

He totally lost me for all time after that sneering investment in Rangers after failing to adequately

strengthen our squad in the summer.....deplorable frankly and he can't go quick enough for me.

I just hope some ultra rich guy or group buys him out soon.

For Ashley, spending next to nothing in this window and finishing 17th would represent the greatest victory. I'm not convinced he'll walk away from the gamble and put his hand in the coffers. I honestly think the detestable scumbag gets some sort of perverted thrill from being so reckless with an entity that some people have an emotional investment in.

Got to agree with you there.

This summer was a bit of an anomaly where we lost a number of players on the Bosman rules and one baffling sale and in reality only one first team player was brought in with the holes being plugged on the cheap.  The management was willing to take the massive gamble of having one first team defender as back up rather than invest actual money in a player.  With Steven Taylor allegedly due back I can see the management thinking that adding another CB is an extravagance that they are not willing to pay for and will be prepared to take the same gamble again.

This isn't a knee-jerk, but with the club plateauing (imo) under Ashley, and unlikely to sell up any time soon due to his stubborn negotiating and a lack of buyers in the market, do people think that if we were to get relegated again (still a big 'if') then Ashley would actively look to sell up and take a loss?

I think the chances would certainly be increased, with a serious backlash and probable desertion from fans. But unless there are buyers out there that are willing to invest, we're stuck with him. The saying 'be careful what you wish for' is very obvious with ownership, but I think it's obvious that this great club will never full fill its potential with this clown running it. It will always be Sports Direct interest before NUFC, and until that changes we're going in circles at best.

does that mean we can only fulfill our potential with some owner spending loadfs of their own money. doesn't every club have "that" potential ?

I wouldn't say thats what it means. Building the club would help to fulfill its potential. Increasing turnover, getting commercial revenue up to and beyond previous levels and improving the brand image of the club to attract well respected bigger sponsors.

We've just signed a shit sponsorship deal with a down market payday lender. What kind of respected company is going to want to be associated with Sports Direct.

To fulfill our potential Ashley needs to build the club, not hinder it's progress in favor of promoting Sports Direct.

Guest Wally_McFool

If he buys us a CB and a RB in January it would be amazing.

Nothing "amazing" about it at all. He either buys some defenders to protect his investment or he risks his asset plummeting in value.

Surely, and in a very painful way, this will be another lesson learnt for Mike and Co.  Pretty sure someone as succesful as him will see the wood from the tree's here (with or without no football experience).  Hence, I can only really see one outcome - finally some investment in the squad and hopefully, a more positive approach to investment in the future.

The current strategy has failed, time to realise before its too late.  I actually have confidence this will happen.  Debuchy is a good sign, looseing Ba so soon will only intensify the urgency at the club to get the right players in ASAP IMO.

I just hope Pardew and the rest of them agree on who needs replacing and who needs to come in.

1 centre back, if not 2 and 2 strikers - I would be happy with a purple sticker and a green one, orange is fine as well.

Guest neesy111

For Ashley, spending next to nothing in this window and finishing 17th would represent the greatest victory. I'm not convinced he'll walk away from the gamble and put his hand in the coffers. I honestly think the detestable scumbag gets some sort of perverted thrill from being so reckless with an entity that some people have an emotional investment in.

:clap:

Yet some idiots are still prepared to defend the cunt.

:clap:

Yet some idiots are still prepared to defend the c***.

I agree with this 100%. (Almost) the same income less a few quid for being lower in the table. All else taken into consideration (wages, transfer fees etc) this scenario represents the maximum profit. Truthfully, I believe the strategy really to be an aim to finish about 11th each year and thats about it.

Don't remember the chap's name but he registered a few weeks back, posted some reall insightful stuff then spoiled himself by insisting that everyone surely knows Ashley is doing a good good. There are others.

With Ashley I can't quite escape the feeling he'll sink is sinking this club one day totally as much out of spite as incompetence. I don't mind being financially sound with signings etc but there's the nagging doubt...

I wonder what people's reactions would be to some multibillionaire coming in and signing us everybody and us being hte new man city. Would people enjoy the fleeting glory, or resent all the plastic fans and the doom when they lose interest? I'd be in the latter I suspect but wonder if I'd enjoy it, just a little bit... 

With Ashley I can't quite escape the feeling he'll sink is sinking this club one day totally as much out of spite as incompetence. I don't mind being financially sound with signings etc but there's the nagging doubt...

I wonder what people's reactions would be to some multibillionaire coming in and signing us everybody and us being hte new man city. Would people enjoy the fleeting glory, or resent all the plastic fans and the doom when they lose interest? I'd be in the latter I suspect but wonder if I'd enjoy it, just a little bit... 

It's the only way to compete for top honours nowadays. I'd be ecstatic.

It depends. I just don't think the clubs fortunes should be tied to one individuals interests in the club so much. What would happen tomorrow if Abromovich or Sheikh Mansour just decided to walk away from the club and took all the money? The wage bill etc, they'd go bankrupt within a month and have to lay everyone off.

It depends. I just don't think the clubs fortunes should be tied to one individuals interests in the club so much. What would happen tomorrow if Abromovich or Sheikh Mansour just decided to walk away from the club and took all the money? The wage bill etc, they'd go bankrupt within a month and have to lay everyone off.

Same thing that would happen to us if Ashley decided to pack it in: some other multibillionaire would fancy an expensive, high profile plaything and keep it going.

:lol:

I think the money will dry up all round before too long, transfers keep getting more and more expensive, it's a bubble which has taken way too long to burst. Ashley could well screw us over easily too. Dunno if anyone would buy us though

:lol:

I think the money will dry up all round before too long, transfers keep getting more and more expensive, it's a bubble which has taken way too long to burst. Ashley could well screw us over easily too. Dunno if anyone would buy us though

The TV money is mental from next season though.

Don't remember the chap's name but he registered a few weeks back, posted some reall insightful stuff then spoiled himself by insisting that everyone surely knows Ashley is doing a good good. There are others.

Tollemache. Brilliant poster, regardless of his opinions.

I fully support his self sufficiency drive and I think he should be commended for getting the club into a financial position position where that's actually possible. His problem is always going to be that he's a bit of a wheeler dealer and a gambler. We'll only deal on our terms. That's why bids for De Jong, Douglas and Debuchy failed in the summer - we wanted them, but only if we felt we were getting a bargain.

I do think he/we were stuck in between a rock and a hard place this summer mind. Investment on the scale most of us probably desired would only be possible if we sold a big name or two. That would've caused a right fucking stink, cries we're a selling club etc etc.

We stuck rather than twisted and it hasn't worked. We've got to hope we rectify this error somewhat in this window, stay up and change policy next summer.

People are mental if they think Ashley would walk away from £150M+ just to spite the fans. Successful business people, believe it or not, tend to chase more success not just throw it away.  In this case, he has not and is not getting right in many respects - however, he is clearly trying to get the club in a better financial position.

Whether this is so he can finally get a return on his investment, who knows.

People are mental if they think Ashley would walk away from £150M+ just to spite the fans. Successful business people, believe it or not, tend to chase more success not just throw it away.  In this case, he has not and is not getting right in many respects - however, he is clearly trying to get the club in a better financial position.

Whether this is so he can finally get a return on his investment, who knows.

Is the correct answer, it becomes all about the success and the ego once the money's at a level where it's somewhat irrelevant as a measure of said success.

The ego is the problem because that drives the "do it my way" syndrome. Ashley is a supremely driven individual (you don’t get Ashley rich if you are not) and no way will he ever be happy with not being the best he can be at doing whatever it is he does. These folks just don’t think like that.

I console myself in the fact that he is monstrously successful and is driven to remain that way in all he does. The downside is that these types also play a very long game they know that success takes time and absolutely nothing will deviate them from their path. (they do learn from mistakes though).

I do not hold with the “he’ll be happy with 11th every year” theory, that’s not success, BUT what I do believe is:

The club MUST live within its means and there will be absolutely no deviation from that, and as such, I don’t/won’t agonise over he should “put his hand in his pocket” because he won’t, it’s a complete waste of time and emotion.