Which one stupid rule would you get rid of?

Dave

For me though captains plus offender only speaking to the ref after a n incident not being enforced properly with yellow cards, not sure if it quite fits the title of the thread mind, it's close enough.

Having just watched the Rugby worl cup....and wondered how the referee/player respect in Rugby can be so different to football, how do you bring football back into line.

You would have games where they finished with 8 players vs 9 and with 17 yellow cards if you immediately started enforcing this.  I'd love to see it, but I don't know how they could do it.

I can only think that the need to mic the referee so everyone can hear what's said....and you have a different method of penalising the back-chat....such as the extra-10-yards. And then repeat as often as necessary.

And I can only imagine what SAF or Wenger would say about a game like that.

Guest dogbeak

Make the Europa League into a knock-out competition from the start. It's f***ing dour.

aye, and bring back the european cup whilst they're at it.

Guest barnabox

For me though captains plus offender only speaking to the ref after a n incident not being enforced properly with yellow cards, not sure if it quite fits the title of the thread mind, it's close enough.

Having just watched the Rugby worl cup....and wondered how the referee/player respect in Rugby can be so different to football, how do you bring football back into line.

You would have games where they finished with 8 players vs 9 and with 17 yellow cards if you immediately started enforcing this.  I'd love to see it, but I don't know how they could do it.

I can only think that the need to mic the referee so everyone can hear what's said....and you have a different method of penalising the back-chat....such as the extra-10-yards. And then repeat as often as necessary.

I think mic the ref is the perfect solution.  You would instantly make the games impossible to broadcast before the watershed.

Sky's money would soon make sure that the abuse of the refs was stopped.

Said it before on here: I'd make it a rule that the only player who could initiate a conversation with the ref is the captain. The other 10 are only to speak to the ref when they're spoken to.

Said it before on here: I'd make it a rule that the only player who could initiate a conversation with the ref is the captain. The other 10 are only to speak to the ref when they're spoken to.

I like this. Giving the refs mics gives them a heightened sense of self-importance, they start to think they're bigger than the game.

i agree with a few so far mentioned, particularly the booking for the shirt off, however i'd go further, giving players 20secs in which to go mental after they'd scored. people are far too prissy "ooh he scored a goal against us then celebrated right in front of me, no wonder i'd been hurling abuse at him from the first minute" grow the fuck up man, if you feel the right to slag someone off then be man enough (soz cat,jill,blef,james) to have him sling it back in your face.

a couple that haven't been mentioned and they are both annoying as the rules are there already, but ignored......

a) stopping play for minor injuries. in my opinion let the physios on and play carries on.

b) the advantage rule lasting about 3 seconds. play the advantage till the move breaks down then bring it back (like in rugby union)

The away goal rule. It's shite, a goal is a goal, no matter where it's scored. Can see the point in having it in Extra Time though, to even out the advantage of the home team in the second leg playing 30 more minutes at home.

The offside rule is fine as it is, iyam. Can't believe a football fan called for it to be scrapped completely. Can only assume Adam didn't think further than the wrong, narrow offsides would be the only difference, when in fact, football as we know it would be completely different. Allardyce would probably love it, mind.

Hard tackle = Intended to cause harm.

:jesuswept:

Deliberate foul = intended to cause harm, hard tackle = intended to win the ball. 

You're far more likely to get hurt in a tackle if you go in half assed or pull out of it altogether like a fruit.

Guest bimpy474

I like this. Giving the refs mics gives them a heightened sense of self-importance, they start to think they're bigger than the game.

They did this years ago, i cant remember the refs name but he was the balding one, David something ?,

He did an Arsenal game, i remember because Tony Adams called him a cheat because he thought a ball had crossed the line, or something similiar, they didn't keep on using it as the amount of swearing and abuse was mental, if the ref had gone by the letter of the law he would have had to have send off several players, i actually think they should, it would soon stop the abuse.

Guest bimpy474

You can go in as hard as you want aslong as your feet are grounded and it's 1 footed like, never seen anything to sugest otherwise bar the odd referee f*** up. If you miss the ball it's a different matter altogether like.

Thats changed now hasn't it though, something about excessive force, it was after i'd been on the refs course i was on, they didn't use the term excessive force on mine, they used terms like over the top, and out of control but i thought i read about it somewhere recently.

Hard tackle = Intended to cause harm.

:jesuswept:

Deliberate foul = intended to cause harm, hard tackle = intended to win the ball. 

You're far more likely to get hurt in a tackle if you go in half assed or pull out of it altogether like a fruit.

I said it as in a preconception I would like to see gone from football.

It feels to me like it's not just Rugby. Football seems to be alone amongst team sports in accepting so much boorish and aggressive behaviour from players to refs.

I don't know how it all originated, and no-one seems to be prepared to put up with the short-term disruption that would be needed before it could be stamped out in the long-term. But it could be stamped out, for sure.

It isn't often mentioned, but when Brian Clough was in charge at Notts Forest, you never saw any of their players even argue with the ref, let alone abuse them. Somehow, under his regime, players managed to keep their discipline. It can be done.

Re Brian Clough

One of the high school locker rooms where I referee has a sign above the door that says

"everything that happens on the field is either coached or allowed to happen"

Which sounds like something Mr Clough believed in.....If only more coaches/teams had the same philosophy

the sign above our "locker" room door said  "BOYS", I don't think that psuedo slogan crap would have had too much effect on us scrotes from newbiggin hall, we just wanted to win  and prove everyone wrong and we didn't do too bad when we only had a bout 35 lads to make a team from.