On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

30 years today...

http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/football/gallery/2008/jan/17/1/GD5891874%40New-signing-Kevin-Kee-43.jpg

KK'S debut in 1982.

From.com

If anyone was left in any doubt about the effect of Keeganmania, QPR had won 4-0 at SJP barely three months before, in front of less than 11,000 bored souls.'

However 8 years ago today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2008/09/22/bobby2_470x338.jpg

We lost 4-2 to Villa, Bobby was sacked after this game for 2 points from 4 games.

30 years today...

http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/football/gallery/2008/jan/17/1/GD5891874%40New-signing-Kevin-Kee-43.jpg

KK'S debut in 1982.

From.com

If anyone was left in any doubt about the effect of Keeganmania, QPR had won 4-0 at SJP barely three months before, in front of less than 11,000 bored souls.'

what a day- never experienced an atmosphere like strawberry place all that morning. St james used to be rocking with 36k in them days.

what a day- never experienced an atmosphere like strawberry place all that morning. St james used to be rocking with 36k in them days.

I was on a bus coming back from Scarborough :(

sure ive said it before but it was when I started going to the match properly with my mates and stuff, got my 1st season ticket and started going to away games with the supporters club- my dad had taken me to odd games for 10years before that- but KK lit something in me.. :smitten:  :lol:

sure ive said it before but it was when I started going to the match properly with my mates and stuff, got my 1st season ticket and started going to away games with the supporters club- my dad had taken me to odd games for 10years before that- but KK lit something in me.. :smitten:  :lol:

Exactly the same for me :thup: :indi:

Guest johnson293

30 years today...

KK'S debut in 1982.

From.com

181944_132378263498702_2215459_n.jpg

:smitten:

queued outside the gallowgate all morning- we were told we had no chance to get in, but you could pay cash at the benches, so we ran up the alley. got there and it was tickets only, so we tried the leazes, and just got in, behind the leazes goal when KK scored at the gallowgate.

queued outside the gallowgate all morning- we were told we had no chance to get in, but you could pay cash at the benches, so we ran up the alley. got there and it was tickets only, so we tried the leazes, and just got in, behind the leazes goal when KK scored at the gallowgate.

When I hear those stories it always makes me sad that I'm so young to have missed those times.

When I hear those stories it always makes me sad that I'm so young to have missed those times.

i'm the same, until i start hearing people being nostalgic about when people just pissed where they were standing. :lol:

i'm the same, until i start hearing people being nostalgic about when people just pissed where they were standing. :lol:

They didn't really. It's just one of those myths which has been bandied around so much people think it's the truth.

Some daft sod may have done it sometime but I can't recall seeing it happen in many years of standing on terraces.

That said, the bogs at the back of the Gallowgate were pretty third world.

They didn't really. It's just one of those myths which has been bandied around so much people think it's the truth.

Some daft sod may have done it sometime but I can't recall seeing it happen in many years of standing on terraces.

That said, the bogs at the back of the Gallowgate were pretty third world.

my mate was just about pissed on blackburn away 84, and derby away 92/93 the terraces were like waterfalls :lol:.

Exactly the same for me :thup: :indi:

...and me!

Dad started taking me to the match in '73, but the Keegan debut was my first season with me mates. Sat outside the Strawberry all morning in the baking hot sun to be sure we'd get in, ended up next to the Gallowgate goal.

When KK scored he ran into the crowd right next to us, I can just make myself out on the footage.

Guest BooBoo

Whilst old school football had its charm, most of it is clouded in sentiment. As a football fan in the 80s you were treat like shit- hemmed into tight dangerous terraces with no amenities and poor views. For kids and those under 6 foot whether you could actually see was always a gamble. The police treated fans horrendously, lumping everyone together as potentially dangerous. Plus the football was a far poorer product.

Yes everyone talks about the surges in the Gallowgate , the atmosphere and the 'banter' but it was mainly just to occupy yourself away from the fact that in the 80s NUFC were a pretty dismal football team with little cash and a crap stadium.

Would I go back to that? Not for a second.

Whilst old school football had its charm, most of it is clouded in sentiment. As a football fan in the 80s you were treat like shit- hemmed into tight dangerous terraces with no amenities and poor views. For kids and those under 6 foot whether you could actually see was always a gamble. The police treated fans horrendously, lumping everyone together as potentially dangerous. Plus the football was a far poorer product.

Yes everyone talks about the surges in the Gallowgate , the atmosphere and the 'banter' but it was mainly just to occupy yourself away from the fact that in the 80s NUFC were a pretty dismal football team with little cash and a crap stadium.

can you not keep your misery for the transfer threads :lol:

Guest BooBoo

Coppers can still be over the top like. At the SOS two years back (Nolan scored) I saw an elderly twat of a copper punch a lad to the back of the head with a leather gloved fist for having the nerve to start singing as he got off the Metro. Wasnt just a tickle either. Shocking that that sort of shite still goes on.

Agree with this 100%, a load of sentimental nonsense is talked about the 80's football experience.

Agree with this 100%, a load of sentimental nonsense is talked about the 80's football experience.

:okay:

:lol: