Stoke City vs Newcastle United pre-match thread (31/10/11 @ 8pm) - Live on Sky

Fenham Mag

Despite their long ball reputation, Stoke are a handy outfit especially at home. Whilst their central midfielders are not particularly creative, their wingers are tricky and pacy. With our full backs, I would think Pennant and Etherington will be tasked to take on Simmo and Taylor and get quality crosses into Walters and Crouch who are handy in the air.

Without Tiote, Best and with Saylor possibly wary with his nose injury, I can see Stoke peppering our back line in the air.

My major worry is that I dont think we are particularly strong in the air at the back, especially without the likes of Best, Amobi, Williamson and Tiote being available to counter the tall timber Stoke will send forward for set pieces.

It will be an interesting game but we must not sit deep or lump it forward but be patient and play the ball around lookong for the opening on the deck.

Having said that, I would be happy with a point  tonight.

Best and Taylor will both play by all accounts. Not sure on Tiote.

I wouldn't be so sure on Best, Pardew's been making noises about Ben Arfa for a couple of weeks now, pretty sure he's said recently he's finding it harder and harder not to play him? I think he'll conveniently use that excuse to give him a start.

I actually think it would do Ben Arfa the world of good if he did start tonight, it would show him the manager has faith in him and that he's not under as great pressure here as he was elsewhere, to perform. He's not really had that for other teams/managers he's played for.

Well match day started in the Tree household with the best of Frank Sinatra over breakfast followed by copacabana, the monster mash and a good dose of Trololol to set up a really positive day.  :banana2:

School run over, feeling ready to rumble and looking forward to slaying the stoke dragon tonight. 5-1 to us. Marveaux to start and Ben Arfa off the bench to get his first goal of the season.  :frantic:

Holy shit.

Tapatalk better sort out this ignore function fucking soon.

Guest johnson293

Would be great to win down there (give them one back for last season), but I'd be happy with a point, keep the unbeaten run going, and leapfrog Chelski, ready for the weekend at Home to Everton.

Best is fine ffs. :lol:

He says he is, Pardew might not think he's 100%.  I can still see HBA and Ba playing.

He's been back in full training since Friday IIRC. Can't see why he'd not play unless Ben Arfa is selected instead.

Best is fine ffs. :lol:

He says he is, Pardew might not think he's 100%.  I can still see HBA and Ba playing.

He's been back in full training since Friday IIRC. Can't see why he'd not play unless Ben Arfa is selected instead.

Ah, I thought he had been missing and felt better only yesterday.