Getting Booked On Purpose

Skirge

Should something be done about this?

Terry looks to have done this yesterday by taking 31 seconds to take a throw in, after getting booked for time wasting he then gave the ball to Matta to take the throw.

This gave him his 5th booking and with it a one match ban, meaning he can serve the ban in the Carling Cup match keeping him free for the league games.

I guess the main issue is proving its what he did and that his intention was to get booked.

Would imagine there'd be big difficulties in decisively proving he meant to get booked. Almost impossible to say without some sort of assumption.

Not sure how you can say "well, that looked iffy" and punish him on the back of that. Not that I don't think it's a problem in the game.

don't have an issue with that, Mourinho did the same trick in Champions League last year and i always thought it was a clever move. i'd rather they deliberately delay play for the card than tackle the opponent  which might cause injury to others.

FIFA need to separate the yellow card accumulations, league game bookings should only count in the league and domestic cup game bookings only count in the cups. The only punishment that should carry over should be straight red cards for violent conduct.

It's not a new phenomenon, just more noticeable nowadays since there are cameras at every game. Recall reading an article a few years ago that included an interview with an ex-player who admitted it was absolutely common-place. He said players would go out of their way to try and be suspended for Christmas games, for example, so they could be with their families instead of traveling to games and so they'd go out of their way to get booked to allow this to happen.

Bit of a dirty tactic but i can get along with it in reason. Didn't Mourinho have two of his players get themselves sent off in a Cup game a couple years back? If it makes a complete mockery of the opponents (and the sport), then it's a bit much.

Don't understand how anyone can condone this. How far do you take it, is it OK to concede a goal on purpose so you'll finish second in a group if you want a better draw? Or draw a game on purpose so a hated club won't win the title? I just want footballers to go out and play.

Don't understand how anyone can condone this. How far do you take it, is it OK to concede a goal on purpose so you'll finish second in a group if you want a better draw? Or draw a game on purpose so a hated club won't win the title? I just want footballers to go out and play.

Like i said above, i think it's a "within reason" thing. I wouldn't condone it and if i were a manager, i don't think i'd ever ask a player to go out and get themselves booked. But i think i can live with it, it's pretty minor. There's no certainty that he did it anyway.

Not got the slightest problem with it and would be telling my players to do it to benefit the team.

The loophole is there so it may as well be used. 

It's not really a loophole, it's fixing what happens in a game to benefit your team. What about the game that the booked player will miss? Why should the opponent in that game get an advantage instead of the one he would have genuinely missed? I just think it's a bad idea to condone fixing events in a football match like this.

Not got the slightest problem with it and would be telling my players to do it to benefit the team.

It's not really a loophole, it's fixing what happens in a game to benefit your team. What about the game that the booked player will miss? Why should the opponent in that game get an advantage instead of the one he would have genuinely missed? I just think it's a bad idea to condone fixing events in a football match like this.

That is the loophole. Players know the fixtures and can basically choose which one to sit out. Not got a problem with tinkering with the system to make it 'fairer' but until it's changed then it's going to be exploited, and rightly do imo.

That is the loophole. Players know the fixtures and can basically choose which one to sit out. Not got a problem with tinkering with the system to make it 'fairer' but until it's changed then it's going to be exploited, and rightly do imo.

So, to use one of Ian's examples, would you advocate your team score an own goal if it would somehow benefit the side later on?

So, to use one of Ian's examples, would you advocate your team score an own goal if it would somehow benefit the side later on?

Struggling to see the benefit of scoring an own goal tbh. The thread is about getting booked on purpose and I've got no problem with that.

Are people unhappy about the rules themselves if the players taking advantage if them?

It's hard to really avoid, difficult to prove intent (and if you make them professionally foul to get the yellow they need, isn't that dangerous?). i think the suspension rule tweak so that the FA had some discretion and wouldn't suspend in such cases where a yellow is given for timewasting because the player wanted it

It's hard to really avoid, difficult to prove intent (and if you make them professionally foul to get the yellow they need, isn't that dangerous?). i think the suspension rule tweak so that the FA had some discretion and wouldn't suspend in such cases where a yellow is given for timewasting because the player wanted it

I would just add on an extra game suspension to cover the game the player would have returned for.

The UEFA Cup group stages were pretty knacked when we were last in it. Would've been better to finish third than second, as then you'd avoid the Champions League drop-outs.

It's not really about the rules i don't think. There's no way of getting around something like that cos you can't prove it was intentional.

As i've said, i can get along with it as it's fairly minor, but i wouldn't advocate doing anything that unsettles the fabric of the sport. 'Exploiting loophoes', if that's what you want to call it, is a bit of a mug's game. But each to their own.