Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

14 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I've assumed this is the end game all along. It'll be the most lucrative advertising space the sport has ever known; it doesn't get better than during the game and specifically during a moment when you can't take your eyes away. 

It's only getting worse, this shit. 

I don't think it was the initial plan but is definitely now an idea as the PL is renegotiating rights (exploring its own channel too, likely to drop in Asia first) and trying to understand their available assets if they're less reliant on broadcast money. There are some new commercial bods in the PL now who are apparently a lot more forward-thinking than previous so I do expect it'll go further down this route.

It was also telling in that chat how unpopular we are too. The PL commercial council have been pushing for more parity of commercial rights between clubs - it was a proper case of Big 6 vs. the other 14 (big 6 didn't want it, other 14 did) and was gaining momentum. We've about-turned this year though which means the other 13 hate us (commercially) as much as big 6 do.

45 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yes, and that's why I exclusively said that I don't mind second yellow being checked because that's a key moment in the game. I just found it strange how they can check straight reds, but not second yellows, when the impact on the game is very similar. Not sure about corners and free kicks, that seems a bit too much for me aswell.

But what if that free kick or corner leads to a goal? Think there was a case in the world cup where France dived, got a free kick, scored from it and won. That's a pretty big moment.

The more you use it for the more tempted you are to use it for something else.

Using it for second yellows will only embarrass refs even more. The number of times you see fouls made by booked players go unpunished with a second yellow because the ref is scared to send him off. The bar is raised for different players at different times in the game, varring it will only highlight the inconsistencies even more

3 minutes ago, midds said:

Using it for second yellows will only embarrass refs even more. The number of times you see fouls made by booked players go unpunished with a second yellow because the ref is scared to send him off. The bar is raised for different players at different times in the game, varring it will only highlight the inconsistencies even more

Well, hopefully VAR can overturn the situations where the ref doesn't give a second yellow just because he is scared to do so. Remember Trent against us? They will have to try to make a decision on how high the bar will be set in general. But it seems tricky indeed.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There's also no absolute standard for what is a yellow card and what isn't, is there? What could VAR use to decide?

I've seen fabinho make the exact same foul about 40 times and only get booked a handful of times. Other players do it and it's an instant yellow, the whole thing is massively subjective and the refs can do what they wish as and when they decide. Getting consistency for fouls is impossible I'd say, they can't even be consistent in the same game ffs :lol:

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There's no logic in using it for second yellows and not first yellows. Every yellow card should be the same, regardless of whether the person is already booked. 

That's like saying there's no logic between using it for penalties and not for free kick, because every foul should be the same. The is a major difference in consequence between getting your first yellow and getting your second yellow. If a player gets booked just once during a game, we usually don't spend a lot of energy discussing that booking after the game, do we? Now if a player gets 2 yellows, that's a different story. If all yellows are the same, why do we care so much more if there's a mistake made by the ref on the second yellow than if a player just gets 1 incorrect yellow, but doesn't get a second?

The second yellow is a much more impactful decision than the first one, because on the second yellow we KNOW that the consequence will be huge. We don't know that yet on the first yellow. Second yellow has the same immediate consequence as a straight red, which they are already checking simply due of the extent of the consequence.

Edited by Erikse

http://www.skysports.com/share/13018165

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has approved proposed trials whereby only the team captain may approach the referee and for sin bins to be tested at a higher level.

The measures aim to improve participant behaviour in football and increase respect for officials.

The proposals were supported at the IFAB's Annual Business Meeting in London on Tuesday.

A proposed trial where only the team captain can approach the referee "in certain major game situations" was given the green light.

It was also agreed that sin bins "for dissent and specific tactical offences" should be trialled at higher levels following their successful implementation in grassroots football.

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

That's like saying there's no logic between using it for penalties and not for free kick, because every foul should be the same. The is a major difference in consequence between getting your first yellow and getting your second yellow. If a player gets booked just once during a game, we usually don't spend a lot of energy discussing that booking after the game, do we? Now if a player gets 2 yellows, that's a different story. If all yellows are the same, why do we care so much more if there's a mistake made by the ref on the second yellow than if a player just gets 1 incorrect yellow, but doesn't get a second?

The second yellow is a much more impactful decision than the first one, because on the second yellow we KNOW that the consequence will be huge. We don't know that yet on the first yellow. Second yellow has the same immediate consequence as a straight red, which they are already checking simply due of the extent of the consequence.

No it's not, the point of a second yellow is that you have accumulated two offences which are the same severity, but which add up to a worse offence. Each one should be identical. 

To answer your questions, we care because we're mistakenly obsessed with the outcome and not the correct application of the rules. There should be no difference between the first and second yellows, unless there's something in the laws I don't know. 

9 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Sin bins and more VAR. What are they doing to the beautiful game. Need to start protesting these idiots.

It's a mystery to me that people can't see the consequences of sin bins. Particularly those who complain that sending offs spoil a competitive match.

42 minutes ago, 80 said:

It's a mystery to me that people can't see the consequences of sin bins. Particularly those who complain that sending offs spoil a competitive match.

I can only think they feel the need to constantly piss about with things and make changes to justify their jobs and likely ridiculous salaries. The game doesn't need such drastic change, its getting worse due to recent changes not better.

Sin bins are far better than yellow cards. There is an actual consequence to your actions. Tactical fouls, snide challenges, abusing the ref. You get binned for 10 minutes, they can even make it 10 minutes if ball in play.

Work very well in other sports so why not football. Refusing to try something in non competitive games is the reason football is behind everyone else in the first place. 

2 hours ago, wormy said:

I thought there were already rules about the captain being the only one to approach the ref and they just didn't enforce it? 

Well exactly.

Same as there's already rules for cynical fouls. Just enforce the fucking rules that are already there. The shithouse stop the counter cynical fouls will soon stop if the refs actually book people every time and give out second bookings. Just like shirt pulling in the box would stop if refs started giving each side 5 pens a game and penalising it.

The sin bin stuff all just strikes me as idealistic "keep it 11 v 11 for the spectacle" bullshit. Let the refs enforce the rules and let's back them when they do, if a player is daft enough or doesn't know the rules that's on them, it's not the ref's job to keep it 11-a-side.

55 minutes ago, Adam said:

Sin bins are far better than yellow cards. There is an actual consequence to your actions. Tactical fouls, snide challenges, abusing the ref. You get binned for 10 minutes, they can even make it 10 minutes if ball in play.

Work very well in other sports so why not football. Refusing to try something in non competitive games is the reason football is behind everyone else in the first place. 

Behind in what way? It's the biggest sport in the world.

Just now, 80 said:

Behind in what way? It's the biggest sport in the world.

In terms of officiating it's miles behind. Technology use in football is always some weird system that makes things more complicated. 

Area where sin bins are good is copying the rugby system. Take Hazertz tackle the other week, he gets sin binned and VAR then have time to upgrade to red. Means the game restarts without waiting for VAR as they have time to do it.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Just no man ffs ?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

It all sounds lovely until you get a shite decision from a jobsworth that puts you a man down for 10 minutes.