Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Had a chat with a pretty senior person at a club last week and he expects the PL to push for VAR to be sponsored in the next 2 years in line with the introduction of semi-automation [emoji38] 

It'll be fucking specsavers.

PIF company would be hilarious, just for the fewm 

22 minutes ago, Pata said:

That would be good in the long run but they should fix the current fundamental problems first. 

How's it good in the long run? It sounds awful. 

We already lose so much time to this nonsense. Last thing we need is more of it. 

It's the slippery slope you start going down though when you allow the use of replays in refereeing. 

Haven't got a problem with them using it for corners if they can check it in seconds, whether it's a corner or a GK is a matter of fact.

But for subjective stuff it should be binned off altogether or used "for the howler" as it was supposed to be in the first place.

12 minutes ago, Kilcline said:

Haven't got a problem with them using it for corners if they can check it in seconds, whether it's a corner or a GK is a matter of fact.

But for subjective stuff it should be binned off altogether or used "for the howler" as it was supposed to be in the first place.

How whether our ball was in play or not vs arsenal was decided in a matter of seconds? How whether it came off Joelinton or not and when the contact was made in determining an offside or not was made in a matter of seconds?

That one incident had an example of whether the ball was in or not and who touched it last take a couple of minutes to decide. We don't want to open corners to that sort of thing. 

26 minutes ago, Cf said:

How whether our ball was in play or not vs arsenal was decided in a matter of seconds? How whether it came off Joelinton or not and when the contact was made in determining an offside or not was made in a matter of seconds?

That one incident had an example of whether the ball was in or not and who touched it last take a couple of minutes to decide. We don't want to open corners to that sort of thing. 

No, we don't want it taking minutes.

But if the ball is known to have gone out and someone can tell the ref within 10 seconds "it's not a corner it's a GK," what's the problem? We're not talking micro-managing the game to the nth degree, the lino still has to make a decision.

And if they can't do it in such a way that it takes <10 seconds and is open to interpretation and inconsistency in the way its currently used, then they shouldn't do it. Making it time-based would also remove the ridiculous "clear and obvious" weasel words and actually make it mean something, if it takes longer than X, go with the on-field and get on with the game.

11 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

How out of touch are these cunts? Surely it is the minority of those involved in the game at any level. That are looking at football And thinking “I tell you what we need to sort this mess out. More VAR.” 

Indeed. Staggering and incredibly depressing if true. What it needs is reducing.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Had a chat with a pretty senior person at a club last week and he expects the PL to push for VAR to be sponsored in the next 2 years in line with the introduction of semi-automation [emoji38] 

It'll be fucking specsavers.

I've assumed this is the end game all along. It'll be the most lucrative advertising space the sport has ever known; it doesn't get better than during the game and specifically during a moment when you can't take your eyes away. 

It's only getting worse, this shit. 

That’s not a penalty IMO. But yet again, VAR has had 200 looks at it and still doesn’t seem sure what to suggest.

Semedo clearly gets a good chunk of the ball, making it change course. Cairney is already on the way down by the time the follow through then slightly catches him. 

I think it is clear and obvious that it wasn’t a pen based on the angles we saw. Yet in real time, I thought it looked nailed on. So I can understand the ref giving it. But then the threshold is seemingly even higher than before for reversing a decision. So it’s never going to get overturned. 

It all just seems really messy and slow. Causing more arguments and debates around the decision than ever before. 

1 hour ago, Cf said:

How's it good in the long run? It sounds awful. 

We already lose so much time to this nonsense. Last thing we need is more of it. 

It's the slippery slope you start going down though when you allow the use of replays in refereeing. 

Freekicks could potentially be a slippery slope if done wrong but second yellows are massive decisions and it always takes at least a minute before the game restarts. Same for corners, usually takes 30 seconds for the ball to be back in play as CBs jog to the penalty area. More than enough time to correct obvious mistakes that happen all the time.

Your examples in the following post were quite rare occurrences that were hard to tell even from video.

Just looked at the Fulham penalties.

Jesus christ.

WTF is VAR playing at? First one clearly wasn't a penalty yet VAR sticks with on-field decision and the second the attacker throws himself into the defender and VAR intervenes to award the penalty.

Ludicrous.

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I'm all for using it for second yellows though, don't know why they didn't do that in the first place when they were going to check straight reds.

But what's the criteria for overturning a 2nd yellow?

If the 2nd is not a foul? So a clear and obvious mistake?

What if the 2nd is a clear yellow but the first wasn't even a foul? No yellow for the 2nd offence that was a yellow?

What if the 2nd is a bit soft and the 1st was a bit soft? Do they cancel out? And how long do we spend reviewing to work out if it was soft or not?

Just keep this shite away from the game imo.

I’m massively torn on VAR. I hate the delays, I hate the fact that there’s an age spent and the decisions are either still wrong or are questionable. However, I do think on the whole it leads to more correct decisions overall. If I could choose, I’d just bin the whole thing as it’s not worth it and it just takes away from the sport. As it stands, I can handle it as long as they stop making blatant errors and speed up decision making 

12 minutes ago, Cf said:

But what's the criteria for overturning a 2nd yellow?

If the 2nd is not a foul? So a clear and obvious mistake?

What if the 2nd is a clear yellow but the first wasn't even a foul? No yellow for the 2nd offence that was a yellow?

What if the 2nd is a bit soft and the 1st was a bit soft? Do they cancel out? And how long do we spend reviewing to work out if it was soft or not?

Just keep this shite away from the game imo.

What if a player gets a second yellow when it wasn't even a foul? What if a player is already on a yellow and makes a clear yellow card tackle (Kovacic comes to mind), and it's not given by the on field ref? There's nothing VAR will be able to do with the first yellow, and they wont be judging the second one based on how harsh the first one was. They just want to make sure that they get the second one right in most cases, because that's the lethal one. And by the way, most of the time the first yellow card will be justified, so in most cases where VAR intervenes for the second yellow, that will be the controvesial one out of the two.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

What if a player gets a second yellow when it wasn't even a foul? What if a player is already on a yellow and makes a clear yellow card tackle (Kovacic comes to mind), and it's not given by the on field ref? There's nothing VAR will be able to do with the first yellow, and they wont be judging the second one based on how harsh the first one was. They just want to make sure that they get the second one right in more cases. And by the way, most of the time the first yellow card will be justified, so in most cases where VAR intervenes for the second yellow, that will be the controvesial one out of the two.

Hall's yellow against Dortmund was really soft and imo not even a foul. He had to play on eggshells from then on. Should VAR be intervening in every yellow card decision?

I get your point about potentially reviewing the 2nd yellow could prevent some red cards that aren't but where do you stop?

Tweet above suggested reviewing corner kick decisions.

Do we just review decisions every time the referee blows his whistle?

I'm being facetious to a point but this is where it leads.

4 minutes ago, Cf said:

Hall's yellow against Dortmund was really soft and imo not even a foul. He had to play on eggshells from then on. Should VAR be intervening in every yellow card decision?

I get your point about potentially reviewing the 2nd yellow could prevent some red cards that aren't but where do you stop?

Tweet above suggested reviewing corner kick decisions.

Do we just review decisions every time the referee blows his whistle?

I'm being facetious to a point but this is where it leads.

Yes, and that's why I exclusively said that I don't mind second yellow being checked because that's a key moment in the game. I just found it strange how they can check straight reds, but not second yellows, when the impact on the game is very similar. Not sure about corners and free kicks, that seems a bit too much for me aswell.

Edited by Erikse