Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

VAR

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

I'm showing my ignorance here but wasn'tGordon offside because there was only the defender between him and the goal? 

Clearly I don't know the offside rule [emoji38]

There was only one defender, but he also needs to be closer to the goal-line than the ball to be in an offside position [i.e. if you're behind the ball when it's played you can't be offside].

So the key to whether it was offside was: at the moment it touches Joelinton, was any part of Gordon closer to the goal-line than the ball? And to be honest, from the replay I really can't tell. Looks tight.

Edited by Checko

The number of supporters of other clubs calling the VAR decision out is unreal. If VAR could have written that goal off, they would have, I've never seen that many phases of play checked to rule a goal out, it was unreal to watch.

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The ball went backwards, the ball has to go forwards for it to be offside.

I used to think that, but it's not actually in the rules. You can be offside if the ball goes backwards.

2 minutes ago, Checko said:

I used to think that, but it's not actually in the rules. You can be offside if the ball goes backwards.

It kind of is, but not written that way.

A player has to be ahead of the ball to be offside, if the ball is played backwards or parallel, then the player can’t be ahead of the ball.

13 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It kind of is, but not written that way.

A player has to be ahead of the ball to be offside, if the ball is played backwards or parallel, then the player can’t be ahead of the ball.

I know what you mean, but the rule is that you're in an offside position if part of you's ahead of the ball when it's played. [assuming there aren't 2 defenders between you and the goal etc]

So if part of you's ahead of the ball when it's played, it gets played backwards, you move backwards behind the ball and play it you're still offside. Pretty rare case mind.

Edited by Checko

4 hours ago, Checko said:

I know what you mean, but the rule is that you're in an offside position if part of you's ahead of the ball when it's played. [assuming there aren't 2 defenders between you and the goal etc]

So if part of you's ahead of the ball when it's played, it gets played backwards, you move backwards behind the ball and play it you're still offside. Pretty rare case mind.

Eh?

9 hours ago, Nattfare said:

You have to be in line with or behind the ball when it is played. If you are ahead of the ball it doesn't matter if it is played backwards.

Ah yeah, of course. I think that is just how it has always been as well? :lol: Just so much nonsense surrounding the offside rules that I've forgotten a core basic that has stayed the same for my entire lifetime watching the sport :lol: 

If youre an Aresnal fan, having a pop at VAR is kind of ridiculous. It's the ref that's made the choice to allow the goal from what's he's seen in real time. If VAR didn't exist that goal still gets given. Curse the ref, feel sad for a day or so and then just like we all did 10+ years, get on with your life and look forward to the next match.

Just now, Stifler said:

Can I just add that in the build up to the goal, Joelinton is fouled, it could easily have been brought back for a freekick that Trippier would have slammed in. No one seems to talking about that.

There is many other talking points in the game that the ref got wrong, but everybody’s talking about var goal

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

There is many other talking points in the game that the ref got wrong, but everybody’s talking about var goal

It's precisely what Arteta wants. Takes the focus of his underperforming players. 

21 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

The worst decision in the entire match was Arsenal getting a corner in the second half when it wasn’t anywhere near out at all :lol:

Was that the one with Tino in the corner? Was raging at how that wasn’t a throw in as I was in the Gallowgate.

10 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

It's precisely what Arteta wants. Takes the focus of his underperforming players. 

Carragher said after the Arteta rant that he'd have loved that if he was an Arsenal player. I think he meant it as a compliment but I see it the other way.

Sure, in public you can slag the officials off as much as you like, but in the changing room if there isn't an honest assessment of how tepid they were in attack then it's not good for them long-term.

21 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Carragher said after the Arteta rant that he'd have loved that if he was an Arsenal player. I think he meant it as a compliment but I see it the other way.

Sure, in public you can slag the officials off as much as you like, but in the changing room if there isn't an honest assessment of how tepid they were in attack then it's not good for them long-term.

I think the opposite. Howe not ever allowing the ref to be a talking point it means the team take accountability for their performance. Control the controllable. Don’t self pity.