Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I agree that we are are going to have bias until AI can referee a game. It will come. Goal line technology works. Offside is close.

Another factor to consider is the size of penalty boxes. They were designed for a bygone era. In today's game a foul on the edge of the box leads to a reward way too valuable. Football should copy hockey and have a smaller box and something akin to a short corner for lesser fouls. Maybe.

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Sorry to answer my own question, but seemingly it was not: https://sportsbrief.com/football/53845-psg-newcastle-mbappes-penalty-shows-difference-uefas-handball-rules-epls/

Correct decision then, based on the current rules of the competion?

A former referree in Norway who knows a lot about the current rules said it was the worst decisiom that he's seen in a while. Not because it went off his chest first, but because his arm was not in an unnatural position, and the ball is seeking the arm. Not the other way around.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

A former referree in Norway who knows a lot about the current rules said it was the worst decisiom that he's seen in a while. Not because it went off his chest first, but because his arm was not in an unnatural position.

Ie attached to his shoulder. Can livermento please remove his arm next time.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

The funny thing here is that it looked a stonewall penalty in real time and he didn't give it. It's only when you see the replays that you clearly see it come off his abdomen before grazing his elbow. It's never a pen and the ref has bottled it. It's a complete myth that mainland Europe referees are any better than English ones.

No it didn’t :lol:

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No it didn’t :lol:

Yes it did. :lol: It happened fast and clearly came off the arm. Impossible to see it hit off the chest in real time. 

Everyone thought it was a pen until the replay.

6 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

I agree that we are are going to have bias until AI can referee a game. It will come. Goal line technology works. Offside is close.

Another factor to consider is the size of penalty boxes. They were designed for a bygone era. In today's game a foul on the edge of the box leads to a reward way too valuable. Football should copy hockey and have a smaller box and something akin to a short corner for lesser fouls. Maybe.

I definitely think the whole concept of a penalty is wrong. Like I keep saying, a goal is too valuable in such a low scoring game. You can’t give goals away for free. 

Maybe a penalty could be reserved for deliberately preventing a goal scoring opportunity. And something more like a penalty corner for everything else. 

And keep handball for only the most obvious deliberate handballs. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Yes it did. :lol: It happened fast and clearly came off the arm. Impossible to see it hit off the chest in real time. 

But hitting his arm doesn’t automatically mean a pen, does it? He has to be doing something else like doing it deliberately or making himself bigger. 

I didn’t notice the touch off the body but I still thought it wasn’t a penalty. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Someone else posted the sigh of relief they felt when they saw the replay. I was exactly the same.

At first I thought proximity might be what saves us because I thought it went straight into the arm.

Just now, Cf said:

Someone else posted the sigh of relief they felt when they saw the replay. I was exactly the same.

At first I thought proximity might be what saves us because I thought it went straight into the arm.

Aye I said to my mate straight away it's a pen, then saw the replay and noticed it came off the body first and said, "surely there's no way they can give this." :lol: Should have known better.

The way VAR works today it needs to go. If VAR is to work properly they need to remove the human errors and not make them possible with stuff like «clear and obviously» and «natural position of the hand» 

I didn't think it was a penalty in real time because the ball was absolutely leathered at Tino, he's got no time to react. 

It's going to get to the point where a winger will just smash the ball into a crowded area and hope it pops up onto someone's arm with the current route we're going down.

I completed my 180 on VAR after our League Cup win at Old Trafford. The ability to celebrate a goal in the moment, without knowing an official is going to be pulling it apart is so much more enjoyable as a fan.

The reason I no longer think VAR is fit for purpose is because they're treading outside their "clear and obvious" remit. They're effectively using it to re-referee incidents. Another official analysing a subjective call opens up more scope for error. 

The technology is fine, but the way they're implementing it is hugely flawed and it seems they're going to keep going further down the rabbit hole. Either strip it back or get rid.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I completed my 180 on VAR after our League Cup win at Old Trafford. The ability to celebrate a goal in the moment, without knowing an official is going to be pulling it apart is so much more enjoyable as a fan.

The reason I no longer think VAR is fit for purpose is because they're treading outside their "clear and obvious" remit. They're effectively using it to re-referee incidents. Another official analysing a subjective call opens up more scope for error. 

The technology is fine, but the way they're implementing it is hugely flawed and it seems they're going to keep going further down the rabbit hole. Either strip it back or get rid.

Yeah VAR would be perfectly fine if it was only used by competent people with its original purpose of only overturning rare blatant errors.

The only way Tino can avoid that completely is to have his hands behind his back. If defenders are defending with their hands behind their backs, something is very broken. Why are none of these arseholes looking at this situation and thinking 'lads, we've fucked up massively here'. They are literally ruining football for the players, managers and fans. It's fucking criminal what's going on.

Deliberate handball worked for 80 years or more. This whole silhouette bullshit makes no sense. Go back to what worked and stop fucking up the game FFS!

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was supposed to help with the things completely missed by officials, instead its a secondary referee level nitpicking everything, including decisions the referee decided fine with. VAR was supposed to intervene with the big errors like ball over the line goal missed, offside goal scored, onside goal not given or serious foul play missed by officials. It shouldn't be every game in the league has every moment assesed twice from VAR. The amount of times we felt we needed VAR per week per game is far less than the reality of it.

34 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

Is this a serious post?

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

The only way Tino can avoid that completely is to have his hands behind his back. If defenders are defending with their hands behind their backs, something is very broken. Why are none of these arseholes looking at this situation and thinking 'lads, we've fucked up massively here'. They are literally ruining football for the players, managers and fans. It's fucking criminal what's going on.

Deliberate handball worked for 80 years or more. This whole silhouette bullshit makes no sense. Go back to what worked and stop fucking up the game FFS!

For me holding your hands behind your back is the absolute definition of your arms being in an unnatural position.

6 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Why are people so intent on fucking around with the best sport in the world. Drives me mad, talking about sin bins and VAR for corner kicks now. 

Thank fuck IFAB is made up of the four home FA’s and four others, all it takes is two home FA’s to vote against law changes before any changes can be made.

Edited by FloydianMag