Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

21 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Good.

For me he tried to shrug the arm grabbing away, but clocked Robertson as he was all over the refs back.

Cannot wait for the  LFC and Klopp melt down now though.

Edited by Hudson

5 minutes ago, 80 said:

Got mixed views on this article on subtler ways VAR affects the game, but attaching for interest - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/13/andy-robertson-player-behaviour-referees-var-major-cause

"It has been tempting given the heat, the chat, the clipped-up punditry faces prophesying the decline of all that is fine and noble, like Evelyn Waugh bemoaning the death of the carpeted bathroom, to file the current rage about rage alongside all the other things that have seemed, very briefly, to signal the coming of the rapture."

What a pretentious and condescending spanner Ronay is, man. Absolute waffle. 

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

"It has been tempting given the heat, the chat, the clipped-up punditry faces prophesying the decline of all that is fine and noble, like Evelyn Waugh bemoaning the death of the carpeted bathroom, to file the current rage about rage alongside all the other things that have seemed, very briefly, to signal the coming of the rapture."

That reads like he's asked ChatGPT to write something in the style of George Caulkin.

17 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Vomit inducing. Almost makes me want to back VAR :lol:

Completely agree with this.

The comments in here and on social media that it's just because English refs are hopeless is why VAR is not successful and refereeing is working fine in other countries is nonsense

4 hours ago, joeyt said:

Completely agree with this.

The comments in here and on social media that it's just because English refs are hopeless is why VAR is not successful and refereeing is working fine in other countries is nonsense

I  disagree with both you and the article on this. The article makes out that if there isn't abuse the refs will be better. I agree that players shouldn't be being abusive to the refs (putting in an only captains can speak to the ref without being spoken to would be a great idea IMO) but a referee is one of the few jobs where the consequences for incompetence is so low. Its not like removing the abuse makes the refs suddenly better. The VAR officials arent getting abuse and they are getting it wrong so much.

As for your point about VAR, I dont watch every game in other leagues/european football but there never seems to be the sheer amount of wrong decisions and they never seem to take as long either. Personally think the English refs are getting it wrong big style as evidenced by week after week of bad decisions.

Players have been abusing refs since well before VAR. 

I would personally have gone with accepting that refs make mistakes and that decisions are subjective, rather than trying to pretend a replay can solve anything. Especially one so badly implemented. 

I find it difficult to believe there's any difference between our refs and other countries, doesn't seem to make much sense. It's possible they have better VAR implementations though. 

You've just said yourself you don't watch other leagues week in week out. If you did and supported a Spanish team you'd hate the referees too. Their referees are getting criticised

There's been 112 red cards in la Liga this season. That is an obscene number. We've only had 28 in the Premier League

https://en.as.com/soccer/why-is-laliga-leading-the-red-card-count-across-european-big-leagues-n/

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Players have been abusing refs since well before VAR. 

I would personally have gone with accepting that refs make mistakes and that decisions are subjective, rather than trying to pretend a replay can solve anything. Especially one so badly implemented. 

I find it difficult to believe there's any difference between our refs and other countries, doesn't seem to make much sense. It's possible they have better VAR implementations though. 

Do you agree with simple factual things like goal line tech or the hawkeye offsides or are you just against it all?

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

Do you agree with simple factual things like goal line tech or the hawkeye offsides or are you just against it all?

Yeah, goal line tech is fine. Offsides are alright but I don't think the spirit of the offside rule is reflected in the way it is applied down to the millimetre now.

Maybe for offside we could look into ways to change the rule so that perfectly good goals aren't disallowed for someone leaning the wrong way. Like handball, that's probably an example of technology showing up that the rule itself isn't fit for purpose.  

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You've just said yourself you don't watch other leagues week in week out. If you did and supported a Spanish team you'd hate the referees too. Their referees are getting criticised

There's been 112 red cards in la Liga this season. That is an obscene number. We've only had 28 in the Premier League

https://en.as.com/soccer/why-is-laliga-leading-the-red-card-count-across-european-big-leagues-n/

If the decisions were the right decisions I wouldnt. The number doesnt matter in the slightest to me its whether they were the correct decisions and consistent with other decisions.

It is Good article but the point isn't about the number of cards its about the number of wrong decisions. The article even states that there are more reds because of a consistent level to punish challenges that may cause injuries and a harsher stance on dissent/abuse which is a good thing dont you think? 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, goal line tech is fine. Offsides are alright but I don't think the spirit of the offside rule is reflected in the way it is applied down to the millimetre now.

Maybe for offside we could look into ways to change the rule so that perfectly good goals aren't disallowed for someone leaning the wrong way. Like handball, that's probably an example of technology showing up that the rule itself isn't fit for purpose.  

Yeah I remember when it used to be the attackers advantage. Something like the hawkeye system could surely be adjusted to give an advantage to the attacker again

I hate what we have where the lines seem to suit to whomever is playing

Just now, Infatuation Junkie said:

Goal line is fine apart from when the ball crosses the line and the refs watch buzzes and they still don’t give the goal. Like the other week in the europa game. 

Cant remember what match it was but took ages to sort out and they still didn’t give the goal. 

Didnt see that, if thats the case and the watch is buzzing and he hasnt given it, that is deliberate incompetence from the ref

The only time I can think of was villa vs shef utd where it didn't go off till later and the point ended up relegating bournemouth

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

That's the Guardian nowadays. They write for a pretentious middle class chin-stroking crowd. Their podcast is the same.

Mitrovic got an 8 game ban for little more. If you are making an example of Mitrovic and being consistent, you have to give Robertson some sort of ban.

7 minutes ago, Ace said:

If the decisions were the right decisions I wouldnt. The number doesnt matter in the slightest to me its whether they were the correct decisions and consistent with other decisions.

It is Good article but the point isn't about the number of cards its about the number of wrong decisions. The article even states that there are more reds because of a consistent level to punish challenges that may cause injuries and a harsher stance on dissent/abuse which is a good thing dont you think? 

I think dissent of referees should be punished harsher I agree but the article states that most red cards have been given for a second bookable offence, which indicates to me that Spanish referees are giving yellow cards out too easily

The suggestion that VAR and refereeing is working fine in other divisions, it's just the PL where it's failing is clearly not true

We've become way too lenient on yellow cards IMO, especially second yellows. Every game there's several fouls I would give a booking for, especially if they happen early in the game. 

Not that I want people to be sent off, but I do if they can avoid that by not making two bad fouls. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I think dissent of referees should be punished harsher I agree but the article states that most red cards have been given for a second bookable offence, which indicates to me that Spanish referees are giving yellow cards out too easily

The suggestion that VAR and refereeing is working fine in other divisions, it's just the PL where it's failing is clearly not true

Or they are correctly punishing fouls, I think a lot of bookings aren't given when they should be in the prem.

Its interesting to note in that article also at no point does it imply the refs are doing a bad job just that they are being more strict in following the law, for me thats a good thing.

My issue is more with VAR and again I have to disagree at every other level Ive seen it used it works much better than in the prem.

8 hours ago, Ace said:

Didnt see that, if thats the case and the watch is buzzing and he hasnt given it, that is deliberate incompetence from the ref

The only time I can think of was villa vs shef utd where it didn't go off till later and the point ended up relegating bournemouth

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/var-overrule-goal-line-technology-29301011.amp

10 hours ago, Ace said:

I  disagree with both you and the article on this. The article makes out that if there isn't abuse the refs will be better. I agree that players shouldn't be being abusive to the refs (putting in an only captains can speak to the ref without being spoken to would be a great idea IMO) but a referee is one of the few jobs where the consequences for incompetence is so low. Its not like removing the abuse makes the refs suddenly better. The VAR officials arent getting abuse and they are getting it wrong so much.

As for your point about VAR, I dont watch every game in other leagues/european football but there never seems to be the sheer amount of wrong decisions and they never seem to take as long either. Personally think the English refs are getting it wrong big style as evidenced by week after week of bad decisions.

We "imported" that Jared Gillett from Australia (granted he spent two years in the EFL before reffing Prem games) and he's one of the worst in the league.

There's something toxic in the English game which is absolutely fucking up the way VAR is used. It's certainly not abuse from the fans but I don't think it's because English refs are intrinsically or genetically blinder/more incompetent than other nationalities.